Cost Sharing, Differential Games, and the Moulin-Shenker Rule
The Moulin-Shenker rule (Sprumont (1998)) is a nonlinear solution concept for solving heterogeneous cost sharing problems. The first part of the paper shows an axiomatic characterization of this solution using bounds on cost shares and consistency. The second part is devoted to differential games for heterogeneous production problems. It is shown for 2-player games that by an appropriate choice of the game dynamics there is essentially a unique Markov perfect Nash equilibrium. An axiomatic analysis follows for the appropriate game dynamics, which leads in turn to a strategic characterization of the Moulin-Shenker rule.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 31 20 525 52 58
Fax: + 31 20 525 52 83
Web page: http://www.fee.uva.nl/cendef/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Friedman, Eric & Moulin, Herve, 1999.
"Three Methods to Share Joint Costs or Surplus,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 275-312, August.
- Martin Shubik, 1961.
"Incentives, Decentralized Control, the Assignment of Joint Costs and Internal Pricing,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
112, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Martin Shubik, 1962. "Incentives, Decentralized Control, the Assignment of Joint Costs and Internal Pricing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(3), pages 325-343, April.
- Moulin, Herve, 1995.
"Cost-Sharing under Increasing Returns: A Comparisonof Simple Mechanisms,"
95-19, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Moulin, Herve, 1996. "Cost Sharing under Increasing Returns: A Comparison of Simple Mechanisms," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 225-251, April.
- Sprumont, Y., 1996.
"Ordinal Cost Sharing,"
Cahiers de recherche
9624, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Moulin, Herve & Shenker, Scott, 1992. "Serial Cost Sharing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(5), pages 1009-37, September.
- Moulin, Herve, 2001.
"Axiomatic Cost and Surplis-Sharing,"
2001-06, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Maniquet, Francois, 1996. "Allocation Rules for a Commonly Owned Technology: The Average Cost Lower Bound," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 490-507, May.
- Moulin Herve & Shenker Scott, 1994. "Average Cost Pricing versus Serial Cost Sharing: An Axiomatic Comparison," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 178-201, October.
- Young, H.P., 1994. "Cost allocation," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 34, pages 1193-1235 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ams:ndfwpp:05-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cees C.G. Diks)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.