Factors Influencing Corporate Governance in post-Socialist Companies: an Analytical Framework
In explaining the corporate governance performance of post-socialist companies, this article identifies four factors of influence: (1) pressure from majority shareholders, (2) pressure from outside minority shareholders, (3) pressure resulting from internationalization/ globalization and (4) pressure exerted by the state in the form of legal regulation. If all four factors have an impact on corporate governance performance, their interaction has to be explained. On the basis of research conducted thus far, this article suggests an analytical framework for the examination of corporate governance performance of postsocialist companies. Case studies of oil and gas firms from Central and Eastern Europe illustrate how the above factors influence a company???s corporate governance performance.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 724 E. University Ave, Wyly Hall 1st Flr, Ann Arbor MI 48109|
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mike Wright & Igor Filatotchev & Trevor Buck & Kate Bishop, 2003. "Is Stakeholder Corporate Governance Appropriate in Russia?," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 7(3), pages 263-290, September.
- Buck, Trevor & Filatotchev, Igor & Wright, Mike & Zhukov, Vladimir, 1999. "Corporate Governance and Employee Ownership in an Economic Crisis: Enterprise Strategies in the Former USSR," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 459-474, September.
- Katharina Pistor & Martin Raiser & Stanislaw Gelfer, 2000.
"Law and Finance in Transition Economies,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 8(2), pages 325-368, July.
- Katharina Pistor & Martin Raiser & Stanislaw Gelfer, 2000. "Law and Finance in Transition Economies," CID Working Papers 49, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Katharina Pistor & Martin Raiser & Stanislaw Gelfer, 2000. "Law and Finance in Transition Economies," CID Working Papers 49A, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Katharina Pistor & Martin Raiser & Stanislav Gelfer, 2000. "Law and finance in transition economies," Working Papers 48, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Dittus, Peter, 1996. "Why East European banks don't want equity," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 655-662, April.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998. "Law and Finance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(6), pages 1113-1155, December.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, "undated". "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Patel, Sandeep A. & Balic, Amra & Bwakira, Liliane, 2002. "Measuring transparency and disclosure at firm-level in emerging markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 325-337, December.
- Roth, Kendall & Kostova, Tatiana, 2003. "Organizational coping with institutional upheaval in transition economies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 314-330, November.
- Izabela Koladkiewicz, 2001. "Building of a Corporate Governance System in Poland: initial experiences," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 228-237, 07.
- Krivogorsky, Victoria, 2000. "Corporate Ownership and Governance in Russia," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 331-353, 09.
- Katharina Pistor & Chenggang Xu, 2005. "Governing Emerging Stock Markets: legal vs administrative governance," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 5-10, 01.
- Andrei Yakovlev, 2004. "Evolution of corporate governance in Russia: government policy vs. real incentives of economic agents," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 387-403.
- Estrin, Saul & Wright, Mike, 1999. "Corporate Governance in the Former Soviet Union: An Overview," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 398-421, September.
- Iraj Hashi, 2003. "The Legal Framework for Effective Corporate Governance: Comparative Analysis of Provisions in Selected Transition Economies," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0268, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Desai, Raj M. & Goldberg, Itzhak, 2000. "The vicious circles of control - regional governments and insiders in privatized Russian enterprises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2287, The World Bank.
- Peng, Mike W. & Buck, Trevor & Filatotchev, Igor, 2003. "Do outside directors and new managers help improve firm performance? An exploratory study in Russian privatization," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 348-360, November.
- repec:cup:apsrev:v:98:y:2004:i:02:p:341-354_00 is not listed on IDEAS
- Buck, Trevor, 2003. "Modern Russian corporate governance: convergent forces or product of Russia's history?," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 299-313, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2007-896. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (WDI)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.