Housing finance across countries : new data and analysis
This paper presents new data on the depth and penetration of mortgage markets across countries. There is a large variation across both dimensions of mortgage market development, across countries, but also -- in terms of depth -- within countries. Mortgage markets seem to develop only at relatively high levels of gross domestic product per capita. Policies associated with financial system development are also associated with mortgage market development, including price stability and the efficiency of contractual and information frameworks. The development of the insurance sector and the stock market, sources of long-term funding, is strongly associated with mortgage market development, while government subsidies and support are not. A benchmarking exercise compares the actual values of mortgage market development to values predicted by structural country factors and shows a large variation across countries and over time in the gap between predicted and actual values, related to specific policies but also mortgage boom and bust cycles.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beck, T.H.L. & Munzele Maimbo, S. & Faye, I. & Triki, T., 2011. "Financing Africa : Through the crisis and beyond," Other publications TiSEM 334b6bd2-a7a6-47d5-be82-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- T. Beck & O. De Jonghe & G. Schepens, 2011.
"Bank competition and stability: cross-country heterogeneity,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
11/732, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Beck, Thorsten & De Jonghe, Olivier & Schepens, Glenn, 2013. "Bank competition and stability: Cross-country heterogeneity," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 218-244.
- Friedemann Roy, 2008. "Mortgage Markets in Central and Eastern Europe - A Review of Past Experiences and Future Perspectives," International Journal of Housing Policy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 133-160.
- Thorsten Beck & Ross Levine & Norman Loayza, 1999.
"Financial Intermediation and Growth: Causality and Causes,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
56, Central Bank of Chile.
- Ross Levine & Norman Loayza & Thorsten Beck, 2002. "Financial Intermediation and Growth: Causality and Causes," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Leonardo Hernández & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Banking, Financial Integration, and International Crises, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 2, pages 031-084 Central Bank of Chile.
- Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman & Beck, Thorsten, 2000. "Financial intermediation and growth: Causality and causes," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 31-77, August.
- Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman & Beck, Thorsten, 1999. "Financial intermediation and growth : Causality and causes," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2059, The World Bank.
- Matthieu Chemin, 2012. "Does Court Speed Shape Economic Activity? Evidence from a Court Reform in India," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(3), pages 460-485, August.
- Guido Wolswijk, 2006.
"Determinants of Mortgage Debt Growth in EU Countries,"
International Journal of Housing Policy,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 131-149.
- Guido Wolswijk, 2006. "Determinants of Mortgage Debt Growth in EU Countries," European Journal of Housing Policy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 131-149, August.
- Warnock, Veronica Cacdac & Warnock, Francis E., 2008.
"Markets and housing finance,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 239-251, September.
- Veronica Cacdac Warnock & Francis E. Warnock, 2007. "Markets and Housing Finance," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp221, IIIS.
- Veronica Cacdac Warnock & Francis E. Warnock, 2008. "Markets and Housing Finance," Working Papers 032008, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Veronica Cacdac Warnock & Francis E. Warnock, 2007. "Markets and Housing Finance," NBER Working Papers 13081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean Arcand & Enrico Berkes & Ugo Panizza, 2015.
"Too much finance?,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 105-148, June.
- Friedemann Roy, 2008. "Mortgage Markets in Central and Eastern Europe - A Review of Past Experiences and Future Perspectives," European Journal of Housing Policy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 133-160.
- Atif Mian & Amir Sufi, 2009. "The Consequences of Mortgage Credit Expansion: Evidence from the U.S. Mortgage Default Crisis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 124(4), pages 1449-1496.
- Araujo, Aloisio P. & Ferreira, Rafael V.X. & Funchal, Bruno, 2012. "The Brazilian bankruptcy law experience," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 994-1004.
- Allen N. Berger & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Ross Levine & Joseph G. Haubrich, 2004. "Introduction: Bank concentration and competition: an evolution in the making," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 433-451.
- Simeon Djankov & Caralee McLiesh & Andrei Shleifer, 2005.
"Private Credit in 129 Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
11078, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sujata Visaria, 2009. "Legal Reform and Loan Repayment: The Microeconomic Impact of Debt Recovery Tribunals in India," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 1(3), pages 59-81, July.
- Berger, Allen N, et al, 2004. "Bank Concentration and Competition: An Evolution in the Making," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 433-51, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:6756. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.