Can free provision reduce demand for public services ? evidence from Kenyan education
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Tessa Bold & Mwangi Kimenyi & Germano Mwabu & Justin Sandefur, 2015. "Can Free Provision Reduce Demand for Public Services? Evidence from Kenyan Education," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 29(2), pages 293-326.
References listed on IDEAS
- Timmins, Christopher & Murdock, Jennifer, 2007. "A revealed preference approach to the measurement of congestion in travel cost models," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 230-249, March.
- Sandra E. Black, 1999.
"Do Better Schools Matter? Parental Valuation of Elementary Education,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 114(2), pages 577-599.
- Sandra E. Black, 1997. "Do better schools matter? Parental valuation of elementary education," Research Paper 9729, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Filmer, Deon & Schady, Norbert, 2011. "Does more cash in conditional cash transfer programs always lead to larger impacts on school attendance?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 150-157, September.
- Samia Laokri & Olivier Weil & Koiné Maxime Drabo & Sary Mathurin Dembelé & Benoît Kafando & Bruno Dujardin, 2013. "Removal of user fees no guarantee of universal health coverage: observations from Burkina Faso," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/153197, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Arnaud Chevalier & Colm Harmon & Ian Walker & Yu Zhu, 2004.
"Does Education Raise Productivity, or Just Reflect it?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(499), pages 499-517, November.
- Arnaud Chevalier & Colm Harmon & Ian Walker & Yu Zhu, 2002. "Does education raise productivity, or just reflect it?," Open Access publications 10197/1104, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Chevalier, Arnaud & Harmon, Colm & Walker, Ian & Zhu, Yu, 2003. "Does Education Raise Productivity or Just Reflect It?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3993, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Arnaud Chevalier & Colm Harmon & Ian Walker & Yu Zhu, 2003. "Does education raise productivity, or just reflect it?," Working Papers 200304, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Rafael Lalive & M. Alejandra Cattaneo, 2009.
"Social Interactions and Schooling Decisions,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 91(3), pages 457-477, August.
- Cattaneo, Alejandra & Lalive, Rafael, 2006. "Social Interactions and Schooling Decisions," CEPR Discussion Papers 5816, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rafael Lalive & Alejandra Cattaneo, 2006. "Social Interactions and Schooling Decisions," CESifo Working Paper Series 1787, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rafael Lalive & Alejandra Cattaneo, 2006. "Social Interactions and Schooling Decisions," IEW - Working Papers 298, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Lalive, Rafael & Cattaneo, Maria Alejandra, 2006. "Social Interactions and Schooling Decisions," IZA Discussion Papers 2250, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Piero Cipollone & Alfonso Rosolia, 2007.
"Social Interactions in High School: Lessons from an Earthquake,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 948-965, June.
- Piero Cipollone & Alfonso Rosolia, 2006. "Social Interactions in High School: Lessons from an Earthquake," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 596, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Gustavo J. Bobonis & Frederico Finan, 2009. "Neighborhood Peer Effects in Secondary School Enrollment Decisions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 91(4), pages 695-716, November.
- Adrienne M. Lucas & Isaac M. Mbiti, 2012.
"Access, Sorting, and Achievement: The Short-Run Effects of Free Primary Education in Kenya,"
American Economic Journal: Applied Economics,
American Economic Association, vol. 4(4), pages 226-253, October.
- Adrienne M. Lucas & Isaac M. Mbiti, 2012. "Access, Sorting and Achievement: the Short-Run Effects of Free Primary Education in Kenya," Working Papers 12-10, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- Ritva Reinikka & Jakob Svensson, 2004. "Local Capture: Evidence from a Central Government Transfer Program in Uganda," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(2), pages 679-705.
- Ritva Reinikka & Jakob Svensson, 2005. "Fighting Corruption to Improve Schooling: Evidence from a Newspaper Campaign in Uganda," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 3(2-3), pages 259-267, 04/05.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Margherita Calderone, 2017. "Are there different spillover effects from cash transfers to men and women? Impacts on investments in education in post-war Uganda," WIDER Working Paper Series 093, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Barton, Nicholas & Bold, Tessa & Sandefur, Justin, 2017. "Measuring Rents from Public Employment: Regression discontinuity evidence from Kenya," CEPR Discussion Papers 12105, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nicholas Barton & Tessa Bold & Justin Sandefur, 2017. "Measuring Rents from Public Employment: Regression Discontinuity Evidence from Kenya - Working Paper 457," Working Papers 457, Center for Global Development.
More about this item
KeywordsPrimary Education; Education For All; Teaching and Learning; Tertiary Education; Secondary Education;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2013-11-16 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2013-11-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2013-11-16 (Education)
- NEP-NPS-2013-11-16 (Nonprofit & Public Sector)
- NEP-URE-2013-11-16 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:6685. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/dvewbus.html .