Finance in Africa - Achievements and Challenges
In spite of shallow financial markets, Sub-Saharan Africa will not escape the repercussions of the global financial crisis. The global turmoil threatens the progress Sub-Saharan Africa has made in financial sector deepening and broadening over the recent years and underlines the importance of continuing and deepening the necessary institutional reforms. In this context it is important to define the role of government in expanding financial sectors in a sustainable and market-friendly manner. Foreign banks have brought more benefits than risks for their host economies in Sub-Saharan Africa, but are certainly not a panacea and not a substitute for institutional and policy reform. The profile of foreign banks, however, has changed, with more and more regional banks emerging. This trend toward regional integration is promising as it might allow the small African financial system to reap benefits from scale economies, but it also requires regulatory and supervisory improvements and coordination across the region.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beck, Thorsten & Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman, 2000.
"Finance and the sources of growth,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 261-300.
- Clarke, George R.G. & Cull, Robert & Fuchs, Michael, 2009.
"Bank Privatization in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Case of Uganda Commercial Bank,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1506-1521, September.
- Clarke, George R.G. & Cull, Robert & Fuchs, Michael, 2007. "Bank privatization in Sub-Saharan Africa : the case of Uganda commercial bank," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4407, The World Bank.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, .
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
CRSP working papers
344, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Philippe BACCHETTA & CRamon CAMINAL, 1996.
"Do Capital Market Imperfections Exacerbate Output Fluctuations ?,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
9612, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Bacchetta, Philippe & Caminal, Ramon, 2000. "Do capital market imperfections exacerbate output fluctuations?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 449-468, March.
- Bacchetta, Philippe & Caminal, Ramon, 1996. "Do Capital Market Imperfections Exacerbate Output Fluctuations?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1422, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- M Ayhan Kose & Eswar Prasad & Kenneth Rogoff & Shang-Jin Wei, 2009.
"Financial Globalization: A Reappraisal,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(1), pages 8-62, April.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Eswar Prasad & Kenneth S. Rogoff & Shang-Jin Wei, 2006. "Financial Globalization: A Reappraisal," NBER Working Papers 12484, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kose, Ayhan & Prasad, Eswar & Rogoff, Kenneth & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2006. "Financial Globalization: A Reappraisal," CEPR Discussion Papers 5842, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ayhan Kose & Eswar S Prasad & Kenneth Rogoff & Shang-Jin Wei, 2006. "Financial Globalization; A Reappraisal," IMF Working Papers 06/189, International Monetary Fund.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Djankov, Simeon & McLiesh, Caralee, 2007. "Private credit in 129 countries?," Scholarly Articles 27867134, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Maria Soledad Martinez Peria, 2008.
"Banking Services for Everyone? Barriers to Bank Access and Use around the World,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 22(3), pages 397-430, November.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2006. "Banking services for everyone ? Barriers to bank access and use around the world," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4079, The World Bank.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Martinez Peria, M., 2008. "Banking services for everyone? Barriers to bank access and use around the world," Other publications TiSEM 667b51d6-c698-43ce-9777-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Wurgler, Jeffrey, 2000.
"Financial markets and the allocation of capital,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 187-214.
- Beck, Thorsten & Hesse, Heiko, 2009. "Why are interest spreads so high in Uganda?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 192-204, March.
- Ian Domowitz & Jack Glen & Ananth Madhavan, 2000.
"Liquidity, Volatility, and Equity Trading Costs Across Countries and Over Time,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
322, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Domowitz, Ian & Glen, Jack & Madhavan, Ananth, 2001. "Liquidity, Volatility and Equity Trading Costs across Countries and over Time," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 221-55, Summer.
- Love, Inessa, 2001.
"Financial development and financing constraints - international evidence from the structural investment model,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2694, The World Bank.
- Inessa Love, 2003. "Financial Development and Financing Constraints: International Evidence from the Structural Investment Model," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(3), pages 765-791, July.
- repec:elg:eebook:17119 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barth,James R. & Caprio,Gerard & Levine,Ross, 2008.
"Rethinking Bank Regulation,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521709309, November.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Love, Inessa & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2006.
"Business environment and the incorporation decision,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 2967-2993, November.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Love, Inessa & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2004. "Business Environment and the Incorporation Decision," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3317, The World Bank.
- Caprio, Gerard & Honohan, Patrick, 2001. "Finance for Growth: Policy Choices in a Volatile World," MPRA Paper 9929, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Beck, Thorsten & de la Torre, Augusto, 2006. "The basic analytics of access to financial services," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4026, The World Bank.
- Djankov, Simeon & McLiesh, Caralee & Shleifer, Andrei, 2007.
"Private credit in 129 countries,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 299-329, May.
- de la Torre, Augusto & Gozzi, Juan Carlos & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2007. "Innovative experiences in access to finance : market friendly roles for the visible hand ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4326, The World Bank.
- Beck , Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 2009. "Financial institutions and markets across countries and over time - data and analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4943, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:5020. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.