The relationship between farm size and efficiency in South African agriculture
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Afriat, Sidney N, 1972. "Efficiency Estimation of Production Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(3), pages 568-598, October.
- Johnson, Nancy L. & Ruttan, Vernon W., 1994. "Why are farms so small?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 691-706, May.
- Zyl, J. Van & Vink, Nick & Fenyes, T. I., 1987.
"Labour-Related Structural Trends in South African Maize Production,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 1(3), October.
- Van Zyl, J. & Vink, N. & Fenyes, T. I., 1987. "Labour-related structural trends in South African maize production," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 1(3), pages 241-258, October.
- W. L. Nieuwoudt & N. Vink, 1989. "The Effects of Increased Earnings from Traditional Agriculture in Southern Africa," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 57(3), pages 168-177, September.
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Deininger, Klaus & Feder, Gershon, 1995.
"Power, distortions, revolt and reform in agricultural land relations,"
Handbook of Development Economics,in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 42, pages 2659-2772
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Deininger, Klaus & Feder, Gershon, 1993. "Power, distortions, revolt, and reform in agricultural land relations," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1164, The World Bank.
- Kinsey, Bill H. & Binswanger, Hans P., 1993.
"Characteristics and performance of resettlement programs: A review,"
Elsevier, vol. 21(9), pages 1477-1494, September.
- Kinsey, Bill H. & Binswanger, Hans P., 1993. "Characteristics and performance of settlement programs : a review," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1207, The World Bank.
- J. van Zyl & C. J. van Rooyen & J. F. Kirsten & H. D. van Schalkwyk, 1994. "Land reform in south africa: Options to consider for the future," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 219-239, March.
- Johann Kirsten & Julian May & Sheryl Hendriks & Charles L. Machethe & Cecelia Punt & Mike Lyne, 2007. "South Africa," Chapters,in: Beyond Food Production, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Forsund, Finn R. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1980. "A survey of frontier production functions and of their relationship to efficiency measurement," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 5-25, May.
- T. I. Fenyes & J. Vanzyl & N. Vink, 1988. "Structural Imbalances in South African Agriculture," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 56(2-3), pages 112-122, June.
- Bauer, Paul W., 1990. "Recent developments in the econometric estimation of frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 39-56.
- Feder, Gershon, 1985. "The relation between farm size and farm productivity : The role of family labor, supervision and credit constraints," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 297-313, August.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Aliber, Michael, 1993. "An Analysis Of Economic Efficiency In Agriculture: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 1-16, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rogier van den Brink & Glen Thomas & Hans Binswanger & John Bruce & Frank Byamugisha, 2005. "Consensus, Confusion, and Controversy : Selected Land Reform Issues in Sub-Saharan Africa," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7387, September.
- Charles Machethe & Thomas Reardon & Donald Mead, 1997. "Promoting farm/non-farm linkages for employment of the poor in South Africa: A research agenda focused on small-scale farms and agroindustry," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 377-394.
- Paul Mosley, 2002. "The African green revolution as a pro-poor policy instrument," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(6), pages 695-724.
- Gelan, Ayele & Muriithi, Beatrice W., 2015. "Examining Returns to Scale in Smallholder Dairy Farms in East Africa," Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture, Humboldt-UniversitÃ¤t zu Berlin, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 1-23, September.
- Larson,Donald F. & Muraoka,Rie & Otsuka,Keijiro, 2016. "On the central role of small farms in African rural development strategies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7710, The World Bank.
- Bossio, Deborah & Geheb, Kim & Critchley, William, 2010. "Managing water by managing land: Addressing land degradation to improve water productivity and rural livelihoods," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 97(4), pages 536-542, April.
- Ayal Kimhi, 2006. "Plot size and maize productivity in Zambia: is there an inverse relationship?," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 35(1), pages 1-9, July.
- Byiringiro, Fidele & Reardon, Thomas, 1996.
"Farm productivity in Rwanda: effects of farm size, erosion, and soil conservation investments,"
Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 127-136, November.
- Byiringiro, Fidele Usabuwera & Reardon, Thomas, 1996. "Farm productivity in Rwanda: effects of farm size, erosion, and soil conservation investments," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 15(2), November.
- Collier, Paul & Dercon, Stefan, 2014. "African Agriculture in 50Years: Smallholders in a Rapidly Changing World?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 92-101.
- Heltberg, Rasmus, 1998. "Rural market imperfections and the farm size-- productivity relationship: Evidence from Pakistan," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(10), pages 1807-1826, October.
- Massuanganhe, Israel Jacob, 2008. "Policies, Natural Resource Governance and Local Development," Ph.D Degree Theses 53061, University of the Free State, Department of Agricultural Economics.
More about this item
KeywordsBanks&Banking Reform; Environmental Economics&Policies; Agricultural Knowledge&Information Systems; Crops&Crop Management Systems; Agriculture&Farming Systems; Environmental Economics&Policies; Crops&Crop Management Systems; Agricultural Knowledge&Information Systems; Banks&Banking Reform; Economic Theory&Research;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:1548. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/dvewbus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.