Alternative methodologies in studies on business failure: do they produce better results than the classic statistical methods?
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- S. Balcaen & H. Ooghe, 2004. "Alternative methodologies in studies on business failure: do they produce better results than the classical statistical methods?," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/249, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
References listed on IDEAS
- Neophytou, E. & Molinero, C.M., 2001. "Predicting Corporate Failure in the UK: A Multidimensional Scaling Approach," Papers 01-172, University of Southampton - Department of Accounting and Management Science.
- R. Slowinski & C. Zopounidis, 1995. "Application of the Rough Set Approach to Evaluation of Bankruptcy Risk," Intelligent Systems in Accounting, Finance and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(1), pages 27-41, March.
- Yang, Z. R. & Platt, Marjorie B. & Platt, Harlan D., 1999. "Probabilistic Neural Networks in Bankruptcy Prediction," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 67-74, February.
- Teija Laitinen & Maria Kankaanpaa, 1999. "Comparative analysis of failure prediction methods: the Finnish case," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 67-92.
- Kahya, Emel & Theodossiou, Panayiotis, 1999. "Predicting Corporate Financial Distress: A Time-Series CUSUM Methodology," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 323-345, December.
- J.E. Boritz & D.B. Kennedy & Augusto de Miranda e Albuquerque, 1995. "Predicting Corporate Failure Using a Neural Network Approach," Intelligent Systems in Accounting, Finance and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(2), pages 95-111, June.
- Bart Baesens & Rudy Setiono & Christophe Mues & Jan Vanthienen, 2003. "Using Neural Network Rule Extraction and Decision Tables for Credit-Risk Evaluation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(3), pages 312-329, March.
- Dimitras, A. I. & Zanakis, S. H. & Zopounidis, C., 1996. "A survey of business failures with an emphasis on prediction methods and industrial applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 487-513, May.
- Yochanan Shachmurove, 2002. "Applying Artificial Neural Networks to Business, Economics and Finance," Penn CARESS Working Papers 5ecbb5c20d3d547f357aa1306, Penn Economics Department.
- Kaiser, Ulrich, 2001. "Moving in and out of financial distress: evidence for newly founded service sector firms," ZEW Discussion Papers 01-09, ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
- Cecilio Mar-Molinero & Carlos Serrano-Cinca, 2001. "Bank failure: a multidimensional scaling approach," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 165-183.
- Molinero, C Mar & Ezzamel, M, 1991. "Multidimensional scaling applied to corporate failure," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 259-274.
- Altman, Edward I., 1984. "The success of business failure prediction models : An international survey," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 171-198, June.
- Luoma, M & Laitinen, EK, 1991. "Survival analysis as a tool for company failure prediction," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 673-678.
- Neophytou, E. & Charitou, A. & Charalambous, C., 2001. "Predicting Corporate Failure: Empirical Evidence for the UK," Papers 01-173, University of Southampton - Department of Accounting and Management Science.
- Shumway, Tyler, 2001. "Forecasting Bankruptcy More Accurately: A Simple Hazard Model," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74(1), pages 101-124, January.
- Frydman, Halina & Altman, Edward I & Kao, Duen-Li, 1985. "Introducing Recursive Partitioning for Financial Classification: The Case of Financial Distress," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(1), pages 269-291, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aaro Hazak & Kadri Männasoo, 2007. "Indicators of corporate default : an EU based empirical study," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2007-10, Bank of Estonia, revised 04 Sep 2007.
- Alessandra Amendola & Marialuisa Restaino & Luca Sensini, 2013. "Corporate Financial Distress And Bankruptcy: A Comparative Analysis In France, Italy And Spain," Global Economic Observer, "Nicolae Titulescu" University of Bucharest, Faculty of Economic Sciences;Institute for World Economy of the Romanian Academy, vol. 1(2), pages 131-142, November.
- Luca Sensini, 2016. "An Empirical Analysis of Financially Distressed Italian Companies," International Business Research, Canadian Center of Science and Education, vol. 9(10), pages 75-85, October.
- Zeineb Affes & Rania Hentati-Kaffel, 2016.
"Predicting US banks bankruptcy: logit versus Canonical Discriminant analysis,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
16016, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Zeineb Affes & Rania Hentati-Kaffel, 2016. "Predicting US banks bankruptcy: logit versus Canonical Discriminant analysis," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-01281948, HAL.
- Niemann, Martin & Schmidt, Jan Hendrik & Neukirchen, Max, 2008. "Improving performance of corporate rating prediction models by reducing financial ratio heterogeneity," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 434-446, March.
More about this item
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-BEC-2005-02-13 (Business Economics)
- NEP-DCM-2005-02-13 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-HPE-2005-02-13 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vlg:vlgwps:2004-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabelle Vandenbroere). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vlgmsbe.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.