Overlapping Generations Models of Graded Age-Group Societies: Economics Meets Ethnography
Across much of the world tribal societies are organized into age groups. In these age-group societies, social and economic relations between individuals are regulated by well-established rules governing transitions through the lifecycle. In this paper we detail the relationship between the classic formulations in Stewart's (1977) "Fundamentals of Age-Group Systems" and the overlapping generations (OLG) model. We establish that OLG models can accurately represent a large subset of actual age-group societies called graded age-set societies. Thus, an OLG model bears a close resemblance to reality.
|Date of creation:||06 Jul 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2|
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brock, W.A., 1990. "Overlapping generations models with money and transactions costs," Handbook of Monetary Economics,in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 263-295 Elsevier.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467-467.
- James B. Bullard, 1992. "Samuelson's model of money with n-period lifetimes," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 67-82.
- Engineer, Merwan & Esteban, Joan & Sakovics, Jozsef, 1997.
"Costly transfer institutions and the core in an overlapping generations model,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 287-300, February.
- Esteban, J. & Engineer, M. & Sakovics, J., 1992. "Costly Transfer Institutions and the Core in an Overlapping Generations Models," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 181.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985. "Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-247, April.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1984. "Debt, Deficits and Finite Horizons," NBER Working Papers 1389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engineer, Merwan & Bernhardt, Dan, 1992. "Endogenous transfer institutions in overlapping generations," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 445-474, June.
- Engineer, M. & Bernhardt, D., 1992. "Endogenous Transfer Institutions in Overlapping Generations," Working Papers 1992-07, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Frank Hahn & Robert Solow, 1997. "A Critical Essay on Modern Macroeconomic Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026258154x, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vic:vicddp:0102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graham Voss)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.