Overlapping Generations Models of Graded Age-Group Societies: Economics Meets Ethnography
Across much of the world tribal societies are organized into age groups. In these age-group societies, social and economic relations between individuals are regulated by well-established rules governing transitions through the lifecycle. In this paper we detail the relationship between the classic formulations in Stewart's (1977) "Fundamentals of Age-Group Systems" and the overlapping generations (OLG) model. We establish that OLG models can accurately represent a large subset of actual age-group societies called graded age-set societies. Thus, an OLG model bears a close resemblance to reality.
|Date of creation:||06 Jul 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2|
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James B. Bullard, 1992. "Samuelson's model of money with n-period lifetimes," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 67-82.
- Engineer, M. & Bernhardt, D., 1992.
"Endogenous Transfer Institutions in Overlapping Generations,"
1992-07, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Engineer, Merwan & Bernhardt, Dan, 1992. "Endogenous transfer institutions in overlapping generations," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 445-474, June.
- Esteban, J. & Engineer, M. & Sakovics, J., 1992.
"Costly Transfer Institutions and the Core in an Overlapping Generations Models,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
181.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Engineer, Merwan & Esteban, Joan & Sakovics, Jozsef, 1997. "Costly transfer institutions and the core in an overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 287-300, February.
- Brock, W.A., 1990. "Overlapping generations models with money and transactions costs," Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 263-295 Elsevier.
- Frank Hahn & Robert Solow, 1997. "A Critical Essay on Modern Macroeconomic Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026258154x, December.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985.
"Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-247, April.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467-467.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vic:vicddp:0102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Giles)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.