Overlapping Generations Models of Graded Age-Group Societies: Economics Meets Ethnography
Across much of the world tribal societies are organized into age groups. In these age-group societies, social and economic relations between individuals are regulated by well-established rules governing transitions through the lifecycle. In this paper we detail the relationship between the classic formulations in Stewart's (1977) "Fundamentals of Age-Group Systems" and the overlapping generations (OLG) model. We establish that OLG models can accurately represent a large subset of actual age-group societies called graded age-set societies. Thus, an OLG model bears a close resemblance to reality.
|Date of creation:||06 Jul 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2|
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engineer, M. & Bernhardt, D., 1992.
"Endogenous Transfer Institutions in Overlapping Generations,"
1992-07, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Engineer, Merwan & Bernhardt, Dan, 1992. "Endogenous transfer institutions in overlapping generations," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 445-474, June.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
- James B. Bullard, 1992. "Samuelson's model of money with n-period lifetimes," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 67-82.
- Brock, W.A., 1990. "Overlapping generations models with money and transactions costs," Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 263-295 Elsevier.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985.
"Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-47, April.
- Frank Hahn & Robert Solow, 1997. "A Critical Essay on Modern Macroeconomic Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026258154x, June.
- Engineer, Merwan & Esteban, Joan & Sakovics, Jozsef, 1997.
"Costly transfer institutions and the core in an overlapping generations model,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 287-300, February.
- Esteban, J. & Engineer, M. & Sakovics, J., 1992. "Costly Transfer Institutions and the Core in an Overlapping Generations Models," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 181.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Merwan H. Engineer & Ming Kang & Eric Roth & Linda Welling, 2006. "Overlapping Generations Models of an Age-Group Society: The Rendille of Northern Kenya," 2006 Meeting Papers 248, Society for Economic Dynamics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vic:vicddp:0102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Giles)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.