Who's Minding the Kids? An Economic Comparison of Sole and Joint Custody
We examine the allocation of spending by divorced parents on both private goods and goods which they share with their child. Sole and joint custody arrangements differ in the pattern of shared goods. Parents play a non-cooperative game. We compute the putcomes under sole and joint custody, and examine the effects of income redistribution.
|Date of creation:||06 Jul 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shelley Phipps & Peter Burton, 1995. "Social/institutional variables and behavior within households: An empirical test using the Luxembourg income study," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 151-174.
- Lundberg, Shelly & Pollak, Robert A, 1994. "Noncooperative Bargaining Models of Marriage," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 132-37, May.
- Daniela Del Boca & Christopher J. Flinn, 1994.
"Expenditure Decisions of Divorced Mothers and Income Composition,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(3), pages 742-761.
- del Boca, D. & Flinn, C.J., 1992. "Expenditure Decisions of Divorced Mothers and Income Composition," Working Papers 92-40, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Weiss, Yoram & Willis, Robert J, 1985. "Children as Collective Goods and Divorce Settlements," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(3), pages 268-92, July.
- Warr, Peter G., 1983. "The private provision of a public good is independent of the distribution of income," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(2-3), pages 207-211.
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Andreoni, James, 1990. "Impure Altruism and Donations to Public Goods: A Theory of Warm-Glow Giving?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(401), pages 464-77, June.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Jeremy Greenwood & Nezih Guner, 2000.
"On the State of the Union,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(2), pages 213-244, April.
- Phipps, Shelley A & Burton, Peter S, 1998.
"What's Mine Is Yours? The Influence of Male and Female Incomes on Patterns of Household Expenditure,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 65(260), pages 599-613, November.
- Phipps, S.A. & Burton, P.S., 1992. "What's Mine is Yours?: The Influence of Male and Female Incomes on Patterns of Household Expenditure," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive 92-12, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Lazear, Edward P. & Michael, Robert T., 1988. "Allocation of Income within the Household," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226469669, June.
- Peter W. Kennedy & Linda Welling, 1997. "Production Externalities and the Efficiency of Parental Childcare Choices," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 822-34, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vic:vicddp:0101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Giles)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.