Child Support Enforcement and Children's Consumption
Using CEX data from years before and after the enforcement policies were implemented, I isolate child- and mother-specific expenditure categories for unmarried mothers with and without child support and regress the ratio of mother to child expenditures over period dummies and mother and child characteristics. The results indicate a significant increase in this ratio for mothers receiving child support, supporting the model prediction. On the other hand, there is no observable change in that ratio for mothers not receiving child support suggesting that their behavior was, as expected, unaffected by the new laws.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Del Boca, D. & Flinn, C.J., 1993.
"Rationalizing Child Support Decisions,"
93-16, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Alison Aughinbaugh, 2001. "Signals of Child Achievement as Determinants of Child Support," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 140-144, May.
- Francesconi, Marco & Muthoo, Abhinay, 2003.
"An Economic Model of Child Custody,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4054, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- M. Francesconi & A. Muthoo, 2003. "An Economic Model of Child Custody," Economics Discussion Papers 560, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Francesconi, Marco & Muthoo, Abhinay, 2003. "An economic model of child custody," ISER Working Paper Series 2003-22, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Francesconi, Marco & Muthoo, Abhinay, 2003. "An Economic Model of Child Custody," IZA Discussion Papers 857, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Daniela Del Boca & Christopher J. Flinn, 1994.
"Expenditure Decisions of Divorced Mothers and Income Composition,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(3), pages 742-761.
- del Boca, D. & Flinn, C.J., 1992. "Expenditure Decisions of Divorced Mothers and Income Composition," Working Papers 92-40, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Flinn, Christopher J, 2000.
"Modes of Interaction between Divorced Parents,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(3), pages 545-78, August.
- Narayana Kocherlakota, 2010.
"Implications of Efficient Risk Sharing Without Commitment,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2053, David K. Levine.
- Kocherlakota, Narayana R, 1996. "Implications of Efficient Risk Sharing without Commitment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(4), pages 595-609, October.
- Laura M. Argys & H. Elizabeth Peters, 2003. "Can Adequate Child Support Be Legislated? Responses to Guidelines and Enforcement," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 41(3), pages 463-479, July.
- repec:bla:restud:v:74:y:2007:i:3:p:857-895 is not listed on IDEAS
- Elaine Sorensen & Ariel Hill, 2004. "Single Mothers and Their Child-Support Receipt: How Well Is Child-Support Enforcement Doing?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 39(1).
- Yoram Weiss & Robert J. Willis, .
"Transfers Among Divorced Couples: Evidence and Interpretation,"
University of Chicago - Population Research Center
90-4a, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Weiss, Yoram & Willis, Robert J, 1993. "Transfers among Divorced Couples: Evidence and Interpretation," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(4), pages 629-79, October.
- Weiss, Y. & Willis, R.J., 1990. "Transfers Among Divorced Couples: Evidence And Interpretation," University of Chicago - Economics Research Center 90-4, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Weiss, Yoram & Willis, Robert J, 1985. "Children as Collective Goods and Divorce Settlements," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(3), pages 268-92, July.
- Pedro Hernandez & Andrea Beller & John Graham, 1995. "Changes in the Relationship Between Child Support Payments and Educational Attainment of Offspring, 1979–1988," Demography, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 249-260, May.
- Robert I. Lerman & Elaine Sorensen, 2001.
"Child Support: Interaction Between Private and Public Transfers,"
NBER Working Papers
8199, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert I. Lerman & Elaine Sorenson, 2003. "Child Support: Interactions between Private and Public Transfers," NBER Chapters, in: Means-Tested Transfer Programs in the United States, pages 587-628 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Imran Rasul, 2006. "The Economics of Child Custody," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 73(289), pages 1-25, 02.
- Beller, Andrea H & Graham, John W, 1988. "Child Support Payments: Evidence from Repeated Cross Sections," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 81-85, May.
- Maurizio Mazzocco, 2007. "Household Intertemporal Behaviour: A Collective Characterization and a Test of Commitment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 74(3), pages 857-895.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed008:630. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.