CDS Industrial Sector Indices, credit and liquidity risk
This paper studies the risk spillover among US Industrial Sectors and focuses on the connection between credit and liquidity risks. The proposed methodology is based on quantile regressions and considers the movements of CDS Industrial Sector Indices depending on common risk factors such as equity risk, risk appetite, term spread and TED spread. We use CDS Industrial indexes and the market risk factor to identify the impact of market liquidity risk and market credit risk in the different US Industries and give evidence of the heterogeneity of this relation. We show that all the sectors are largely exposed to the non investment grade bond spread indicating that credit risk is largely a common factor rather than a sector specific factor. With a lower impact, we also find that market risk and interest rate risk are also common factors, as well as liquidity risk. These results indicate that diversification among sectors might collapse when credit, equity and liquidity events hit the market. The information extracted from CDS market could thus provide relevant information for sector allocation strategies.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.unive.it/dip.economia
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- François Longin, 2001. "Extreme Correlation of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 649-676, 04.
- Paolo Mauro & Nathan Sussman & Yishay Yafeh, 2002.
"Emerging Market Spreads: Then Versus Now,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 117(2), pages 695-733, May.
- Paolo Mauro, 2000. "Emerging Market Spreads: Then Versus Now," Economics Series Working Papers 2001-FE-03, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Paolo Mauro & Yishay Yafeh & Nathan Sussman, 2001. "Emerging Market Spreads: Then Versus Now," OFRC Working Papers Series 2001fe03, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Yishay Yafeh & Paolo Mauro & Nathan Sussman, 2000. "Emerging Market Spreads; Then Versus Now," IMF Working Papers 00/190, International Monetary Fund.
- Koenker, Roger & Zhao, Quanshui, 1996. "Conditional Quantile Estimation and Inference for Arch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(05), pages 793-813, December.
- Koenker, Roger & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1982. "Robust Tests for Heteroscedasticity Based on Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 43-61, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ven:wpaper:2012_09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geraldine Ludbrook)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.