Real wages, inflation and labour productivity in Australia
This paper presents an analysis of real wages, inflation and labour productivity interrelationships using cointegration, Granger-causality and, most importantly, structural change tests. Applications of tests to Australian data over the 1965-2007 period corroborate the presence of a structural break in 1985 and show that a 1 percent increase in manufacturing sector real wages led to an increase in manufacturing sector productivity of between 0.5 and 0.8 percent. Comparable estimates for the effect of inflation on manufacturing sector productivity have limited statistical significance. Granger causality test results suggest that real wages and inflation both Granger-cause productivity in the long run.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 0117 328 3610|
Phone: 0117 328 3610
Web page: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/bl/research/bristoleconomics.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gordon, Robert J, 1988. "The Role of Wages in the Inflation Process," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 276-83, May.
- S. J. Erenburg, 1998. "Productivity, private and public capital, and real wage in the US," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(8), pages 491-495.
- Argia M. Sbordone & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 1994. "Does inflation reduce productivity?," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Nov, pages 2-14.
- Clark, Peter K, 1982. "Inflation and the Productivity Decline," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(2), pages 149-54, May.
- Jeremy Wakeford, 2004. "The productivity-wage relationship in South Africa: an empirical investigation," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 109-132.
- Palokangas, Tapio, 1997. "Inflation and Growth in an Open Economy," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(255), pages 509-18, August.
- Gordon, Robert J, 1986.
"Productivity, Wages and Prices Inside and Outside of Manufacturing in the US, Japan and Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
134, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1991. "Productivity, Wages, and Prices Inside and Outside of Manufacturing in the U.S., Japan, and Europe," NBER Chapters, in: International Volatility and Economic Growth: The First Ten Years of The International Seminar on Macroeconomics, pages 153-207 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon, Robert J. & Gordon, Robert J., 1987. "Productivity, wages, and prices inside and outside of manufacturing in the U.S., Japan, and Europe," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 685-733, April.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1986. "Productivity, Wages, and Prices Inside and Outside of Manufacturing in the U.S., Japan, and Europe," NBER Working Papers 2070, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald Freeman & David Yerger, 2000. "Does inflation lower productivity? Time series evidence on the impact of inflation on labor productivity in 12 OECD nations," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 28(3), pages 315-332, September.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Jack Strauss & Mark E. Wohar, 2004. "The Linkage between Prices, Wages, and Labor Productivity: A Panel Study of Manufacturing Industries," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 920-941, April.
- Renuka Mahadevan & John Asafu-Adjaye, 2006. "Is There A Case For Low Inflation-Induced Productivity Growth In Selected Asian Economies?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 24(2), pages 249-261, 04.
- Gregory, A.W. & Hansen, B.E., 1992.
"Residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts,"
RCER Working Papers
335, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Gregory, Allan W. & Hansen, Bruce E., 1996. "Residual-based tests for cointegration in models with regime shifts," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 99-126, January.
- Allan w. Gregory & Bruce E. Hansen, 1992. "residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts," Working Papers 862, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Gunnar Bårdsen & Stan Hurn & Zoë McHugh, 2001.
"Modelling Wages and Prices in Australia,"
Working Paper Series
1202, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, revised 30 Sep 2005.
- Dimitris K. Christopoulos & Efthymios G. Tsionas, 2005. "Productivity growth and inflation in Europe: Evidence from panel cointegration tests," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 137-150, January.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Olivier Blanchard, 1999.
"Wage Dynamics: Reconciling Theory and Evidence,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 69-74, May.
- Efthymios Tsionas, 2003. "Inflation and Productivity in Europe: An Empirical Investigation," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 30(1), pages 39-62, March.
- Denny, Michael & May, Doug, 1977. "The existence of a real value-added function in the Canadian manufacturing sector," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 55-69, January.
- Stilianos Fountas & Breda Lally & Jyh-lin Wu, 1995.
"The Relationship Between Inflation and Wage Growth in the Irish Economy,"
06, National University of Ireland Galway, Department of Economics, revised 1995.
- Stilianos Fountas & Breda Lally & Jyh-Lin Wu, 1999. "The relationship between inflation and wage growth in the Irish economy," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(5), pages 317-321.
- Hondroyiannis, George & Papapetrou, Evangelia, 1998. "Temporal causality and the inflation-productivity relationship: Evidence from eight low inflation OECD countries," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 117-135.
- Toni Mora & Jordi Lopez-Tamayo & Jordi Surinach, 2005. "Are wages and productivity converging simultaneously in Euro-area countries?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(17), pages 2001-2008.
- Gregory, Allan W & Hansen, Bruce E, 1996.
"Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime and Trend Shifts,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(3), pages 555-60, August.
- Tom Doan, . "GREGORYHANSEN: RATS procedure to implement Gregory-Hansen test for Cointegration with breaks," Statistical Software Components RTS00082, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Alexander, Carol O, 1993. "The Changing Relationship between Productivity, Wages and Unemployment in the UK," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(1), pages 87-102, February.
- Efthymios Tsionas, 2003. "Inflation and Productivity: Empirical Evidence from Europe," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 114-129, February.
- Paresh Narayan & Russell Smyth, 2009. "The effect of inflation and real wages on productivity: new evidence from a panel of G7 countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(10), pages 1285-1291.
- Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Autoregressive modeling and causal ordering of economic variables," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 243-259, November.
- Asli Gunay & Kivilcim Metin-Ozcan & Erinc Yeldan, 2005. "Real wages, profit margins and inflation in Turkish manufacturing under post-liberalization," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(16), pages 1899-1905.
- Donald Freeman & David Yerger, 1997. "Inflation and total factor productivity in Germany: A response to Smyth," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 133(1), pages 158-163, March.
- Andrew J. Buck & Felix Fitzroy, 1988. "Inflation and Productivity Growth in the Federal Republic of Germany," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 10(3), pages 428-444, April.
- Mahadevan, Renuka & Asafu-Adjaye, John, 2005. "The productivity-inflation nexus: the case of the Australian mining sector," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 209-224, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwe:wpaper:0921. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Felix Ritchie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.