Intra-Household Bargaining Power and HIV Prevention: Empirical Evidence from Married Couples in Rural Malawi
This paper studies the dynamics between intra-household bargaining power and HIV prevention from a systemic perspective, using a panel data set of 500 married couples in rural Malawi from 2004-2008. All information has been matched at the couple level, which allows to directly assess the effect of a relative increase in bargaining power, as measured by economic, social and relationship variables, on both spouses' attitudes towards HIV prevention, while controlling for HIV status. I employ a fixed effects linear probability model with national and region-specific time trends in order to capture both unobserved heterogeneity at the individual level as well as differences in HIV prevalence and intensity of HIV campaigns in the three regions that are studied. The results show that factors that are associated with a relative increase in female bargaining power, such as own earnings and attendance of women at local political meetings, are related to improved acceptance of HIV prevention.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41 71 224 23 25
Fax: +41 71 224 31 35
Web page: http://www.seps.unisg.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerritzen, Berit C., 2012. "Women’s Empowerment and HIV Prevention in Rural Malawi," Economics Working Paper Series 1222, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Georges Reniers & Rania Tfaily, 2008. "Polygyny and HIV in Malawi," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 19(53), pages 1811-1830, October.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- David Bishai & Shoshana Grossbard, 2010. "Far above rubies: Bride price and extramarital sexual relations in Uganda," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 1177-1187, September.
- Matthias Doepke & MichÃ¨le Tertilt, 2010.
"Does Female Empowerment Promote Economic Development?,"
- Doepke, Matthias & Tertilt, Michèle, 2011. "Does Female Empowerment Promote Economic Development?," CEPR Discussion Papers 8441, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthias Doepke & Michèle Tertilt, 2014. "Does Female Empowerment Promote Economic Development?," NBER Working Papers 19888, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matthias Doepke & Michèle Tertilt, 2014. "Does Female Empowerment Promote Economic Development," CESifo Working Paper Series 4661, CESifo Group Munich.
- Matthias Doepke & Michele Tertilt, 2014. "Does Female Empowerment Promote Economic Development?," Working Papers 2014-002, Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Working Group.
- Doepke, Matthias & Tertilt, Michèle, 2011. "Does Female Empowerment Promote Economic Development?," IZA Discussion Papers 5637, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Doepke, Matthias & Tertilt, Michèle, 2014. "Does Female Empowerment Promote Economic Development?," Working Papers 14-08, University of Mannheim, Department of Economics.
- Doepke, Matthias & Tertilt, Michele, 2011. "Does female empowerment promote economic development ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5714, The World Bank.
- Michele Tertilt & Matthias Doepke, 2010. "Does Female Empowerment Promote Economic Development?," 2010 Meeting Papers 230, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Esther Duflo, 2012.
"Women Empowerment and Economic Development,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1051-79, December.
- Bina Agarwal, 1997. "''Bargaining'' and Gender Relations: Within and Beyond the Household," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 1-51.
- Arellano, Manuel & Carrasco, Raquel, 2003.
"Binary choice panel data models with predetermined variables,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 125-157, July.
- Arellano, M & Carrasco, R, 1996. "Binary Choice Panel Data Models with Predetermined Variables," Papers 9618, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1980.
"The Lagrange Multiplier Test and Its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 239-53, January.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., . "The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics," CORE Discussion Papers RP -412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Smith, Kirsten P. & Watkins, Susan Cotts, 2005. "Perceptions of risk and strategies for prevention: responses to HIV/AIDS in rural Malawi," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 649-660, February.
- Edoardo Gaffeo, 2003. "The Economics of HIV/AIDS: A Survey," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21(1), pages 27-49, 01.
- Georges Reniers, 2008. "Marital strategies for regulating exposure to HIV," Demography, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 417-438, May.
- Arellano, Manuel, 2003. "Panel Data Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245291, March.
- Rasul, Imran, 2008. "Household bargaining over fertility: Theory and evidence from Malaysia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 215-241, June.
- Chimbiri, Agnes M., 2007. "The condom is an 'intruder' in marriage: Evidence from rural Malawi," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 64(5), pages 1102-1115, March.
- Chiappori, Pierre-André & Donni, Olivier, 2009. "Non-unitary Models of Household Behavior: A Survey of the Literature," IZA Discussion Papers 4603, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- FFF1Eliya NNN1Zulu & FFF2Gloria NNN2Chepngeno, 2003. "Spousal communication about the risk of contracting HIV/AIDS in rural Malawi," Demographic Research Special Collections, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 1(8), pages 247-278, September.
- Kirsten P. Smith & Susan Cotts Watkins, 2005. "Perceptions of Risk and Strategies for Prevention: Responses to HIV/AIDS in Rural Malawi," PGDA Working Papers 0305, Program on the Global Demography of Aging.
- Cecilia Conrad & Cheryl Doss, 2008. "The AIDS Epidemic: Challenges for Feminist Economics," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 1-18.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usg:econwp:2014:08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Flockerzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.