Environmental Effects Of Agricultural Trade Liberalization And Domestic Agricultural Policy Reforms
The paper reviews existing studies on linkages between agricultural policies, trade liberalization and the environment. Since the price and production changes induced by the Uruguay Round Agreement on Agriculture seem likely to be quite modest for most countries, this partial trade liberalization may not cause major changes, positive or negative, in the environmental impacts of agricultural production. Instead, the environmental impacts of domestic agricultural policy reforms will probably be more significant than impacts induced by the Uruguay Round Agreement on Agriculture. This is largely due to the fact that agricultural trade liberalization, partial or complete, can alleviate some policy failures which have adverse environmental impacts, but does not correct environmental market failures. By contrast, domestic agricultural policy reforms, while alleviating policy failures, could also tackle environmental market failures through, for example, agroenvironmental programmes.
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Palais des Nations, CH - 1211 Geneva 10|
Phone: +41 22 907 12 34
Fax: +41 22 907 00 43
Web page: http://www.unctad.org/Templates/Page.asp?intItemID=2101&lang=1
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Just, Richard E & Antle, John M, 1990. "Interactions between Agricultural and Environmental Policies: A Conceptual Framework," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 197-202, May.
- Uwe Eiteljörge & Clinton R. Shiells, 1995. "The Uruguay Round and Net Food Importers," IMF Working Papers 95/143, International Monetary Fund.
- K.A. Ingersent & A.J. Rayner & R.C. Hine, 1995. "Ex-Post Evaluation of the Uruguay Round Agriculture Agreement," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(5), pages 707-728, 09.
- Carr, Barry & Frohberg, Klaus K. & Furtan, Hartley & Johnson, Stanley R. & Meyers, William H. & Phipps, Tim T. & Rossmiller, G. E., 1988. "A North American Perspective on Decoupling," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10892, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Grossman, G.M & Krueger, A.B., 1991.
"Environmental Impacts of a North American Free Trade Agreement,"
158, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Grossman, Gene & Krueger, Alan B, 1992. "Environmental Impacts of a North American Free Trade Agreement," CEPR Discussion Papers 644, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gene M. Grossman & Alan B. Krueger, 1991. "Environmental Impacts of a North American Free Trade Agreement," NBER Working Papers 3914, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Selden Thomas M. & Song Daqing, 1994. "Environmental Quality and Development: Is There a Kuznets Curve for Air Pollution Emissions?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 147-162, September.
- Gupta, Sanjeev & Miranda, Kenneth & Parry, Ian, 1995. "Public expenditure policy and the environment: A review and synthesis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 515-528, March.
- Kenneth M. Miranda & Ian W.H. Parry & Sanjeev Gupta, 1993. "Public Expenditure Policy and the Environment; A Review and Synthesis," IMF Working Papers 93/27, International Monetary Fund.
- Kym Anderson, 1992. "Agricultural Trade Liberalisation and the Environment: A Global Perspective," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 153-172, 01.
- Harrison, Glenn W & Rutherford, Thomas F & Tarr, David G, 1997. "Quantifying the Uruguay Round," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(444), pages 1405-1430, September.
- Tobey, James A., 1991. "The effects of environmental policy towards agriculture on trade some considerations," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 90-94, April.
- Repetto, Robert, 1987. "Economic Incentives for Sustainable Production," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 21(3), pages 44-59, November.
- Ernst Lutz, 1992. "Agricultural trade liberalization, price changes, and environmental effects," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 2(1), pages 79-89, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unc:dispap:126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joerg Mayer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.