Can Progressive Taxation Contribute to Economic Development?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Kevin A. Hassett & Aparna Mathur, 2006. "Taxes and Wages," AEI Economics Working Papers 49800, American Enterprise Institute.
- Ravallion, Martin & Chen, Shaohua, 1997.
"What Can New Survey Data Tell Us about Recent Changes in Distribution and Poverty?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 11(2), pages 357-382, May.
- Ravallion, Martin & Shaohua Chen, 1996. "What can new survey data tell us about recent changes in distribution and poverty?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1694, The World Bank.
- Bogetic, Zeljko & Hassan, Fareed M. A., 1995. "Distribution of income and the income tax burden in Bulgaria," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1421, The World Bank.
- Sònia Muñoz & Stanley Sang-Wook Cho, 2003. "Social Impact of a Tax Reform; The Case of Ethiopia," IMF Working Papers 03/232, International Monetary Fund.
- Ramey, Garey & Ramey, Valerie A, 1995.
"Cross-Country Evidence on the Link between Volatility and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1138-1151, December.
- Garey Ramey & Valerie A. Ramey, 1994. "Cross-Country Evidence on the Link Between Volatility and Growth," NBER Working Papers 4959, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Barsky, Robert B & Mankiw, N Gregory & Zeldes, Stephen P, 1986. "Ricardian Consumers with Keynesian Propensities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 676-691, September.
- John Schmitt, 2005. "Is It Time to Export the U.S. Tax Model to Latin America?," Challenge, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(3), pages 84-108.
- Roed, Knut & Strom, Steinar, 2002.
" Progressive Taxes and the Labour Market: Is the Trade-Off between Equality and Efficiency Inevitable?,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 77-110, February.
- Roed,K. & Strom,S., 1999. "Progressive taxes and the labour market : is the trade-off between equality and efficiency inevitable?," Memorandum 19/1999, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Bovenberg, A. Lans & van Ewijk, Casper, 1997.
"Progressive taxes, equity, and human capital accumulation in an endogenous growth model with overlapping generations,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 153-179, May.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & van Ewijk, C., 1997. "Progressive taxes, equity and human capital accumulation in an endogenous growth model with overlapping generations," Other publications TiSEM 6d8dd905-8f4d-4b98-8202-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Engel, Eduardo M. R. A. & Galetovic, Alexander & Raddatz, Claudio E., 1999.
"Taxes and income distribution in Chile: some unpleasant redistributive arithmetic,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 155-192, June.
- Eduardo Engel & Alexander Galetovic & Claudio Raddatz, 1998. "Taxes and Income Distribution in Chile: Some Unpleasant Redistributive Arithmetic," Documentos de Trabajo 41, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Alexander Galetovic & Claudio E. Raddatz, 1998. "Taxes and Income Distribution in Chile: Some Unpleasant Redistributive Arithmetic," NBER Working Papers 6828, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993.
"A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991. "A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Li Wenli & Pierre -Daniel Sarte, 2004. "Progressive Taxation and Long-Run Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(5), pages 1705-1716, December.
- C. E. Weller, 2001.
"Financial Crises After Financial Liberalisation: Exceptional Circumstances or Structural Weakness?,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(1), pages 98-127.
- Weller, Christian E., 1999. "Financial crises after financial liberalization: Exceptional circumstances or structural weakness?," ZEI Working Papers B 15-1999, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Daniel R. Feenberg, 2000.
"The Significance of Federal Taxes as Automatic Stabilizers,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 37-56, Summer.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Daniel Feenberg, 2000. "The Significance of Federal Taxes as Automatic Stabilizers," NBER Working Papers 7662, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- ELIZABETH M. CAUCUTT & SELAHATTIN İMROHOROĞLU & KRISHNA B. KUMAR, 2006. "Does the Progressivity of Income Taxes Matter for Human Capital and Growth?," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 8(1), pages 95-118, January.
- Philip Arestis & Panicos Demetriades, 1999. "Financial Liberalization: The Experience of Developing Countries," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 25(4), pages 441-457, Fall.
- Christian Weller & Laura Singleton, 2004. "Political Freedom, External Liberalization and Financial Stability," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Richard M. Bird & Eric M. Zolt, 2014.
"Redistribution via Taxation: The Limited Role of the Personal Income Tax in Developing Countries,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 15(2), pages 625-683, November.
- Richard M. Bird & Eric M. Zolt, 2005. "Redistribution via Taxation: The Limited Role of the Personal Income Tax in Developing Countries," International Tax Program Papers 0508, International Tax Program, Institute for International Business, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
- Scotchmer, Suzanne, 1992. "The Regressive Bias in Tax Enforcement," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 47(Supplemen), pages 366-371.
- Levine, Ross, 2001. "International Financial Liberalization and Economic Growth," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 688-702, November.
- Shinichi Nishiyama & Kent Smetters, 2005. "Consumption Taxes and Economic Efficiency with Idiosyncratic Wage Shocks," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(5), pages 1088-1115, October.
- Younger, Stephen D, et al, 1999. "Tax Incidence in Madagascar: An Analysis Using Household Data," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 303-331, May.
- Richard M. Bird & Eric M. Zolt, 2005. "Redistribution via Taxation: The Limited Role of the Personal Income Tax in Developing Countries (2005)," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0507, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Glenn P. Jenkins & Hatice Jenkins & Chun-Yan Kuo, 2006. "Is the Value Added Tax Naturally Progressive?," Working Papers 1059, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Willi Leibfritz & John Thornton & Alexandra Bibbee, 1997. "Taxation and Economic Performance," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 176, OECD Publishing.
- André Decoster, 2005. "How progressive are indirect taxes in Russia?," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(4), pages 705-729, October.
- Balassa, Bela, 1989. "Tariff policy and taxation in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 281, The World Bank.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Martorano, Bruno, 2016.
"Taxation and inequality in developing countries - Lessons from the recent experience of Latin America,"
12799, Institute of Development Studies, International Centre for Tax and Development.
- Bruno Martorano, 2016. "Taxation and inequality in developing countries: Lessons from the recent experience of Latin America," WIDER Working Paper Series 098, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Dobrota Gabriela, 2012. "Correlations Between Fiscal - Budgetary Policy And The Economic Development In Romania," Annals - Economy Series, Constantin Brancusi University, Faculty of Economics, vol. 3, pages 98-103, September.
- repec:cbu:jrnlec:y:2013:v:6:p:44-49 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
KeywordsProgressive personal income taxation; value added taxes; long-term growth; economic stability; income inequality; government revenue; fiscal balances.;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uma:periwp:wp176. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Judy Fogg). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/permaus.html .