A New Data Set Measuring Income Inequality
This article presents a new data set on inequality in the distribution of income. The authors explain the criteria they applied in selecting data on Gini coefficients and on individual quintile groups' income shares. Comparison of the new data set with existing compilations reveals that the data assembled here represent an improvement in quality and a significant expansion in coverage, although differences in the definition of the underlying data might still affect intertemporal and international comparability. Based on this new data set, the authors do not find a systematic link between growth and changes in aggregate inequality. They do find a strong positive relationship between growth and reduction of poverty.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in World Bank Economic Review Volume10, Issue3, Page 565-591.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cema.cufe.edu.cn/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Desmond Lachman & Kenneth Bercuson, 1992. "Economic Policies for a New South Africa," IMF Occasional Papers 91, International Monetary Fund.
- Shaohua Chen & Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1993.
"Is poverty increasing in the developing world?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1146, The World Bank.
- Jenkins, Stephen P & Cowell, Frank A, 1994. "Parametric Equivalence Scales and Scale Relativities," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(425), pages 891-900, July.
- Hongyi Li & Lyn Squire & Heng-fu Zou, 1998.
"Explaining International and Intertemporal Variations in Income Inequality,"
CEMA Working Papers
73, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Li, Hongyi & Squire, Lyn & Zou, Heng-fu, 1998. "Explaining International and Intertemporal Variations in Income Inequality," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(446), pages 26-43, January.
- Coulter, Fiona A E & Cowell, Frank A & Jenkins, Stephen P, 1992. "Equivalence Scale Relativities and the Extent of Inequality and Poverty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(414), pages 1067-82, September.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:106:y:1991:i:2:p:327-68 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:109:y:1994:i:2:p:465-90 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rodrik, Dani & Alesina, Alberto, 1994.
"Distributive Politics and Economic Growth,"
4551798, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Bigsten, Arne, 1986. "Welfare and economic growth in Kenya, 1914-76," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(9), pages 1151-1160, September.
- Anand, Sudhir & Kanbur, S. M. R., 1993. "Inequality and development A critique," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 19-43, June.
- Cromwell, Jerry, 1977. "The Size Distribution of Income: An International Comparison," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 23(3), pages 291-308, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cuf:wpaper:512. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.