Environmental outcomes in a model of mixed duopoly
We show under general demand and cost conditions that in a mixed duopoly with pollution the government will implement the socially optimal outputs and abatements by a tax-subsidy scheme and keeping the public fi rm fully public. The scheme requires taxing outputs and subsidizing abatements at diff erent rates, unlike a pollution tax. Our result contradicts some of the recent claims that social optimum is not implementable and privatization is necessary. We also show that when the private firm is partly foreign-owned, the government will adopt some privatization and will not implement the social optimum, though the social optimum is implementable.
|Date of creation:||07 Nov 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Norwich NR4 7TI|
Phone: 44 1603 591131
Fax: +44(0)1603 4562592
Web page: http://www.uea.ac.uk/economics
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Jessica Pointer, School of Economics, University of East Anglia, Norwich Research Park, Norwich, NR4 7TJ, UK|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ulph, Alistair, 1996. "Environmental Policy and International Trade when Governments and Producers Act Strategically," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 265-281, May.
- White, Mark D., 1996. "Mixed oligopoly, privatization and subsidization," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 189-195, November.
- Juan Bárcena-Ruiz & María Garzón, 2006.
"Mixed Oligopoly and Environmental Policy,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 139-160, June.
- Silva, Emilson C.D. & Zhu, Xie, 2009. "Emissions trading of global and local pollutants, pollution havens and free riding," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 169-182, September.
- Damania, R., 2000. "Financial structure and the effectiveness of pollution control in an oligopolistic industry," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 21-36, January.
- Fershtman, Chaim, 1990. "The Interdependence between Ownership Status and Market Structure: The Case of Privatization," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 57(227), pages 319-28, August.
- Beladi, Hamid & Chao, Chi-Chur, 2006. "Does privatization improve the environment?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 93(3), pages 343-347, December.
- COLLA, Paolo & GERMAIN, Marc & VAN STEENBERGHE, Vincent, 2005.
"Environmental policy and speculation on markets for emission permits,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2005066, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- PAOLO COLLA & MARC GERMAIN & VINCENT Van STEENBERGHE, 2012. "Environmental Policy and Speculation on Markets for Emission Permits," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 79(313), pages 152-182, 01.
- Paolo, COLLA & Marc, GERMAIN & Vincent, VAN STEENBERGHE, 2005. "Environmental policy and speculation on markets for emission permits," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2005049, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Juan Carlos Bárcena-Ruiz & María Begoña Garzón, 2002. "Environmental taxes and strategic delegation," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 4(4), pages 301-309.
- de Fraja, Giovanni & Delbono, Flavio, 1989. "Alternative Strategies of a Public Enterprise in Oligopoly," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(2), pages 302-11, April.
- Kumar, Ashutosh & Saha, Bibhas, 2008. "Spatial competition in a mixed duopoly with one partially nationalized firm," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 326-341, June.
- Susumu Cato, 2008. "Privatization and the Environment," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(19), pages 1-10.
- Bhattacharya, Rabindra N. & Pal, Rupayan, 2010.
"Environmental standards as strategic outcomes: A simple model,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 408-420, August.
- Rabindra N. Bhattacharya & Rupayan Pal, . "Environmental standards as strategic outcomes: A Simple model," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2008-028, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Rabindra N. Bhattacharya & Rupayan Pal, 2008. "Environmental Standards as Strategic Outcomes : A Simple Model," Development Economics Working Papers 22151, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro, 1998. "Partial privatization in mixed duopoly," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 473-483, December.
- Antelo, Manel & Loureiro, Maria L., 2009. "Asymmetric information, signaling and environmental taxes in oligopoly," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(5), pages 1430-1440, March.
- Bibhas Saha, 2009. "Mixed ownership in a mixed duopoly with differentiated products," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 98(1), pages 25-43, September.
- Wang, Leonard F.S. & Wang, Jean, 2009. "Environmental taxes in a differentiated mixed duopoly," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 389-396, December.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2008:i:19:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fujiwara, Kenji, 2009. "Environmental policies in a differentiated oligopoly revisited," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 239-247, August.
- Jung, Chulho & Krutilla, Kerry & Boyd, Roy, 1996. "Incentives for Advanced Pollution Abatement Technology at the Industry Level: An Evaluation of Policy Alternatives," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 95-111, January.
- Fjell, Kenneth & Heywood, John S., 2004. "Mixed oligopoly, subsidization and the order of firm's moves: the relevance of privatization," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 411-416, June.
- Joan Canton & Antoine Soubeyran & Hubert Stahn, 2008. "Environmental Taxation and Vertical Cournot Oligopolies: How Eco-industries Matter," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 40(3), pages 369-382, July.
- Leonard F. S. Wang & Ya-chin Wang & Lihong Zhao, 2009. "Privatization and the Environment in a Mixed Duopoly with Pollution Abatement," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(4), pages 3112-3119.
- Tohru Naito & Hikaru Ogawa, 2009. "Direct versus indirect environmental regulation in a partially privatized mixed duopoly," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Springer;Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 10(2), pages 87-100, June.
- Glenn Jenkins & RANJIT LAMECH, 1992. "Fiscal Policies To Control Pollution: International Experience," Development Discussion Papers 1992-01, JDI Executive Programs.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uea:aepppr:2011_30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Theodore Turocy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.