Simultaneous vs. Sequential Price Competition with Incomplete Information
We compare the equilibria that result from sequential and simultaneous moves when two firms compete à la Bertrand in a homogeneous-good market. and firms’ unit costs are private information. Alternatively, our setup can be interpreted as a procurement auction with endogenous quantity where the buyer uses a first-price format if moves are simultaneous and she awards one bidder a right of first refusal if moves are sequential. We show that the first mover can be more or less aggressive in the sequential than it would be in a simultaneous game. In addition, in the case of sequential choices there is a second-mover advantage. Finally, we prove that, under some conditions, buyer and total surplus are larger when moves are simultaneous.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.utdt.edu/ver_contenido.php?id_contenido=439&id_item_menu=568|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Bagnoli & Ted Bergstrom, 2005.
"Log-concave probability and its applications,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 26(2), pages 445-469, 08.
- Federico Weinschelbaum & Leandro Arozamena, 2005.
"The Effect of Corruption on Bidding Behavior in First-Price Auctions,"
82, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Aug 2005.
- Arozamena, Leandro & Weinschelbaum, Federico, 2009. "The effect of corruption on bidding behavior in first-price auctions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 645-657, August.
- Federico Weinschelbaum & Leandro Arozamena, 2004. "The Effect of Corruption on Bidding Behavior in First-Price Auctions," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 180, Econometric Society.
- van Damme, Eric & Hurkens, Sjaak, 1999.
"Endogenous Stackelberg Leadership,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 105-129, July.
- Eric van Damme & Sjaak Hurkens, 1996. "Endogenous Stackelberg leadership," Economics Working Papers 190, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- van Damme, E.E.C. & Hurkens, J.P.M., 1999. "Endogenous Stackelberg leadership," Other publications TiSEM 83a05fd8-4285-48f3-84ef-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- van Damme, E.E.C. & Hurkens, J.P.M., 1996. "Endogenous Stackelberg Leadership," Discussion Paper 1996-115, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- AMIR, Rabah & GRILO, Isabel, .
"Stackelberg versus Cournot equilibrium,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1368, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Brit Grosskopf & Alvin E. Roth, 2006.
"If you are offered the Right of First Refusal, Should you accept? An Investigation of Contract Design,"
122247000000001017, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Grosskopf, Brit & Roth, Alvin E., 2009. "If you are offered the Right of First Refusal, should you accept? An investigation of contract design," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 176-204, January.
- Grosskopf, Brit & Roth, Alvin E., 2009. "If You are Offered the Right of First Refusal, Should You Accept? An Investigation of Contract Design," Scholarly Articles 4261988, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Roberto Burguet & Martin K. Perry, 2003. "Preferred Suppliers and Vertical Integration in Auction Market," Working Papers 74, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Gal-Or, Esther, 1985. "First Mover and Second Mover Advantages," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(3), pages 649-53, October.
- Lofaro, Andrea, 2002. "On the efficiency of Bertrand and Cournot competition under incomplete information," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 561-578, September.
- AMIR, Rabah & STEPANOVA, Anna, 2004.
"Second-mover advantage and price leadership in Bertrand duopoly,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2004037, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Amir, Rabah & Stepanova, Anna, 2006. "Second-mover advantage and price leadership in Bertrand duopoly," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 1-20, April.
- Rabah Amir & Anna Stepanova, 2000. "Second-Mover Advantage and Price Leadership in Bertrand Duopoly," CIE Discussion Papers 2000-10, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Bikhchandani Sushil & Lippman Steven A. & Ryan Reade, 2005. "On the Right-of-First-Refusal," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-44, April.
- J. Riley & E. Maskin, 1981.
"Optimal Auctions with Risk Averse Buyers,"
311, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Leandro Arozamena & Federico Weinschelbaum, 2006.
"A note on the suboptimality of right-of-first-refusal clauses,"
AccessEcon, vol. 4(24), pages 1-5.
- Federico Weinschelbaum & Leandro Arozamena, 2006. "A Note on the Suboptimality of Right-of-First-Refusal Clauses," Working Papers 92, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Jul 2006.
- Dastidar, Krishnendu Ghosh, 2004. "On Stackelberg games in a homogeneous product market," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 549-562, June.
- Hamilton, J.H. & Slutsky, S.M., 1988.
"Endogenous Timing In Duopoly Games: Stackelberg Or Cournot Equilibria,"
88-4, Florida - College of Business Administration.
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Slutsky, Steven M., 1990. "Endogenous timing in duopoly games: Stackelberg or cournot equilibria," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 29-46, March.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Engers, Maxim, 1992. "Stackelberg versus Cournot oligopoly equilibrium," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 127-135, March.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2006:i:24:p:1-5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Spulber, Daniel F, 1995. "Bertrand Competition When Rivals' Costs Are Unknown," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 1-11, March.
- Esther Gal-or, 1986. "Information Transmission—Cournot and Bertrand Equilibria," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(1), pages 85-92.
- Kyle Bagwell, 1992.
"Commitment and Observability in Games,"
1014, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Mailath George J., 1993. "Endogenous Sequencing of Firm Decisions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 169-182, February.
- Robert G. Hansen, 1988. "Auctions with Endogenous Quantity," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(1), pages 44-58, Spring.
- Steve Dowrick, 1986. "von Stackelberg and Cournot Duopoly: Choosing Roles," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(2), pages 251-260, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udt:wpecon:2008_3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martin Cecilia Lafuente)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.