Regímenes de desempeño económico y dualismo estructural en la dinámica de las entidades federativas de México, 1970 - 2006
This paper describes the dynamics of the economic performance of the sub-national Mexican states from 1970 to 2006; the used state variables are the levels and the growth rates of the GDP per capita. The authors situate his approach in a conceptual and methodological panorama of the existent literature. Starting by the regime concept, the paper introduces a distance notion for to compare the observed paths and the clustering of the economies whose evolution is studied. The analysis shows that have existed two fundamental clusters: one of high and another of low performance, in addition of other transitory groups. In the cluster of high performance increases the number of members while in the cluster of low performance diminishes; at the same time, the article shows that the sub-national states that belong to the first cluster have had performances each time more similar. Also it confirms that the subnational states move starting from the cluster of low performance to arrive to the cluster of high performance and that the distance between both clusters has increased. These facts are interpreted basing in the concept of dual economy proposed by the development theory.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://www.fcs.edu.uy/subcategoria.php?SubCatId=48&CatId=53
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chiquiar, Daniel, 2005. "Why Mexico's regional income convergence broke down," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 257-275, June.
- Quah, Danny, 1997. "Empirics for Growth and Distribution: Stratification, Polarization, and Convergence Clubs," CEPR Discussion Papers 1586, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- R. Mantegna, 1999.
"Hierarchical structure in financial markets,"
The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems,
Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 193-197, September.
- R. Mantegna, 1999. "Hierarchical structure in financial markets," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 193-197, September.
- Danny Quah, 1992.
"Empirical cross-section dynamics in economic growth,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
75, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Quah, Danny, 1993. "Empirical cross-section dynamics in economic growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 426-434, April.
- Danny Quah, 1992. "Empirical Cross-Section Dynamics in Economic Growth," FMG Discussion Papers dp154, Financial Markets Group.
- Josep Lluís Carrion-i-Silvestre & Vicente German-Soto, 2008.
"Panel Data Stochastic Convergence Analysis of the Mexican Regions,"
IREA Working Papers
200805, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Apr 2008.
- Josep Carrion-i-Silvestre & Vicente German-Soto, 2009. "Panel data stochastic convergence analysis of the Mexican regions," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 303-327, October.
- Javier Sánchez-Reaza, 2002. "The Impact of Trade Liberalization on Regional Disparities in Mexico," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(1), pages 72-90.
- Durlauf, S.M. & Johnson, P.A., 1995.
"Multiple Regimes and Cross-Country Growth Behavior,"
9419r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Durlauf, Steven N & Johnson, Paul A, 1995. "Multiple Regimes and Cross-Country Growth Behaviour," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(4), pages 365-84, Oct.-Dec..
- Sergio Rey & Myrna Sastr�-Guti�rrez, 2010. "Interregional Inequality Dynamics in Mexico," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 277-298.
- Josep Lluis Carrion-I-Silvestre & Vicente German-Soto, 2007. "Stochastic Convergence amongst Mexican States," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(4), pages 531-541.
- Danny Quah, 1996. "Twin Peaks: Growth and Convergence in Models of Distribution Dynamics," CEP Discussion Papers dp0280, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Pritchett, Lant, 2000. "Understanding Patterns of Economic Growth: Searching for Hills among Plateaus, Mountains, and Plains," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(2), pages 221-50, May.
- Kaldor, Nicholas, 1970. "The Case for Regional Policies," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 17(3), pages 337-48, November.
- Quah, Danny T, 1997. " Empirics for Growth and Distribution: Stratification, Polarization, and Convergence Clubs," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 27-59, March.
- Eduardo Rodríguez-Oreggia, 2005. "Regional disparities and determinants of growth in Mexico," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 207-220, 06.
- Brida, Juan G. & Anyul, Martin Puchet & Punzo, Lionello F., 2003. "Coding economic dynamics to represent regime dynamics. A teach-yourself exercise," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 133-157, June.
- Brida, Juan G. & Punzo, Lionello F., 2003. "Symbolic time series analysis and dynamic regimes," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 159-183, June.
- Quah, Danny, 1996.
"Twin Peaks: Growth and Convergence in Models of Distribution Dynamics,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1355, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Quah, Danny T, 1996. "Twin Peaks: Growth and Convergence in Models of Distribution Dynamics," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(437), pages 1045-55, July.
- Dixon, R & Thirlwall, A P, 1975. "A Model of Regional Growth-Rate Differences on Kaldorian Lines," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(2), pages 201-14, July.
- Mayer-Foulkes, David, 2001. "Convergence Clubs in Cross-Country Life Expectancy Dynamics," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Marcela González Rivas, 2007. "The effects of trade openness on regional inequality in Mexico," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 545-561, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ude:wpaper:1011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Irene Musio)or (Héctor Pastori)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.