The Troika’s variations on a trio: Why the loan programmes worked so differently in Greece, Ireland, and Portugal
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Ashoka Mody & Damiano Sandri, 2012. "The eurozone crisis: how banks and sovereigns came to be joined at the hip [‘A pyrrhic victory? Bank bailouts and sovereign credit risk’]," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 27(70), pages 199-230.
- Tassos Giannitsis & Stavros Zografakis, 2015. "Greece: Solidarity And Adjustment In Times Of Crisis," IMK Studies 38-2015, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Regan, Aidan., 2013. "The impact of the eurozone crisis on Irish social partnership : a political economy analysis," ILO Working Papers 994805953402676, International Labour Organization.
- Porzecanski, Arturo C., 2012. "Behind the Greek default and restructuring of 2012," MPRA Paper 42432, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Niamh Hardiman & Spyros Blavoukos & Sebastian Dellepiane-Avellaneda & George Pagoulatos, 2016. "Austerity in the European periphery: the Irish experience," Working Papers 201604, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Karl Whelan, 2012.
"ELA, Promissory Notes and All That:The Fiscal Costs of Anglo Irish Bank,"
The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 43(4), pages 653-673.
- Karl Whelan, 2012. "ELA, promissory notes and all that : the fiscal costs of Anglo Irish Bank," Working Papers 201206, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Kevin Featherstone, 2011. "The JCMS Annual Lecture: The Greek Sovereign Debt Crisis and EMU: A Failing State in a Skewed Regime," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 193-217, March.
- repec:ilo:ilowps:480595 is not listed on IDEAS
- Aidan Regan & Samuel Brazys, 2017. "Celtic phoenix or leprechaun economics? The politics of an FDI led growth model in Europe," Working Papers 201701, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Pedro Marques, 2015. "Why did the Portuguese economy stop converging with the OECD? Institutions, politics and innovation," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(5), pages 1009-1031.
- Manolis Kalaitzake, 2017. "The Political Power of Finance: The Institute of International Finance in the Greek Debt Crisis," Politics & Society, , vol. 45(3), pages 389-413, September.
- Gikas A. Hardouvelis & Ioannis Gkionis, 2016. "A Decade Long Economic Crisis: Cyprus versus Greece," Cyprus Economic Policy Review, University of Cyprus, Economics Research Centre, vol. 10(2), pages 3-40, December.
- Silvia Merler & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2012.
"Sudden Stops in the Euro Area,"
Review of Economics and Institutions, Università di Perugia, vol. 3(3).
- Silvia Merler & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2012. "Sudden stops in the euro area," Policy Contributions 718, Bruegel.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Fratianni, Michele & Giri, Federico, 2017.
"The tale of two great crises,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 81(C), pages 5-31.
- Fratianni, Michele & Giri, Federico, 2015. "The tale of two great crises," FinMaP-Working Papers 51, Collaborative EU Project FinMaP - Financial Distortions and Macroeconomic Performance: Expectations, Constraints and Interaction of Agents.
- Michele Fratianni & Federico Giri, 2015. "The Tale of Two Great Crises," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 117, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & André Sapir & Guntram B. Wolff, . "EU-IMF assistance to euro area countries- an early assessment," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 779, November.
- Jakob de Haan & Jeroen Hessel & Niels Gilbert, 2014. "Reforming the architecture of EMU: Ensuring stability in Europe," DNB Working Papers 446, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Georgios Maris & Floros Flouros, 2022. "Economic crisis, COVID-19 pandemic, and the Greek model of capitalism," Evolutionary and Institutional Economics Review, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 469-484, April.
- Symeon Mavridis, 2018. "Greece’s Economic and Social Transformation 2008–2017," Social Sciences, MDPI, vol. 7(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Sebastian Dellepiane & Niamh Hardiman, 2012. "Fiscal Politics In Time: Pathways to Fiscal Consolidation, 1980-2012," Working Papers 201228, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Albonico, Alice & Tirelli, Patrizio, 2020. "Financial crises and sudden stops: Was the European monetary union crisis different?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 93(C), pages 13-26.
- Manos Matsaganis & Chrysa Leventi, 2011.
"The distributional impact of the crisis in Greece,"
DEOS Working Papers
1124, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Leventi, Chrysa & Matsaganis, Manos, 2011. "The distributional impact of the crisis in Greece," EUROMOD Working Papers EM3/11, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Paolo D’Imperio & Waltraud Schelkle, 2017. "What Difference Would a Capital Markets Union Make for Risk-Sharing in the EU?," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 86(2), pages 77-88.
- Francesco Papadia, 2014. "Operational Aspects of a Hypothetical Demise of the Euro," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(5), pages 1090-1102, September.
- Sofia Vasilopoulou & Daphne Halikiopoulou & Theofanis Exadaktylos, 2014. "Greece in Crisis: Austerity, Populism and the Politics of Blame," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 388-402, March.
- Ronny Mazzocchi & Roberto Tamborini, 2019.
"Current Account Imbalances and the Euro Area: Alternative Views,"
EconPol Working Paper
27, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Ronny Mazzocchi & Roberto Tamborini, 2019. "Current account imbalances and the Euro Area. Alternative views," DEM Working Papers 2019/1, Department of Economics and Management.
- Daniel Dăianu, 2012. "EURO zone crisis and EU governance: Tackling a flawed design and inadequate policy arrangements," Acta Oeconomica, Akadémiai Kiadó, Hungary, vol. 62(3), pages 295-319, September.
- Josefina Fabiani & Michael Fidor & Ralph Setzer & Andreas Westphal & Nico Zorell, 2021.
"Sudden Stops and Asset Purchase Programmes in the Euro Area,"
Credit and Capital Markets, Credit and Capital Markets, vol. 54(3), pages 375-421.
- Fabiani, Josefina & Fidora, Michael & Setzer, Ralph & Westphal, Andreas & Zorell, Nico, 2021. "Sudden stops and asset purchase programmes in the euro area," Working Paper Series 2597, European Central Bank.
- Brunnermeier, Markus & De Gregorio, José & Eichengreen, Barry & El-Erian, Mohamed & Fraga, Arminio & Ito, Takatoshi & Lane, Philip R. & Pisani-Ferry, Jean & Prasad, Eswar & Rajan, Raghuram & Ramos, Ma, 2012. "Banks and cross-border capital flows: challenges and regulatory responses," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 102439, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Sergio Cesaratto, 2012. "Controversial and novel features of the Eurozone crisis as a balance of payment crisis," Department of Economics University of Siena 640, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Philipp Heimberger & Jakob Kapeller, 2017.
"The performativity of potential output: pro-cyclicality and path dependency in coordinating European fiscal policies,"
Review of International Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(5), pages 904-928, September.
- Philipp Heimberger & Jakob Kapeller, 2016. "The performativity of potential output: Pro-cyclicality and path dependency in coordinating European fiscal policies," Working Papers Series 50, Institute for New Economic Thinking.
- Jakob Kapeller & Philipp Heimberger, 2016. "The performativity of potential output: Pro-cyclicality and path dependency in coordinating European fiscal policies," ICAE Working Papers 50, Johannes Kepler University, Institute for Comprehensive Analysis of the Economy.
- Zorell, Nico, 2017. "Large net foreign liabilities of euro area countries," Occasional Paper Series 198, European Central Bank.
- Walter Paternesi Meloni, 2017. "Austerity & Competitiveness in the Eurozone: a misleading linkage," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0223, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Filippo Balestrieri & Mr. Suman S Basu, 2018. "An Imperfect Financial Union With Heterogeneous Regions," IMF Working Papers 2018/205, International Monetary Fund.
More about this item
KeywordsLoan programme; Eurozone crisis; Troika; European periphery; conditionality;
All these keywords.
- E02 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - Institutions and the Macroeconomy
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy; Modern Monetary Theory
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- H30 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - General
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
- H87 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - International Fiscal Issues; International Public Goods
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CBA-2017-10-22 (Central Banking)
- NEP-CTA-2017-10-22 (Contract Theory & Applications)
- NEP-EEC-2017-10-22 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2017-10-22 (Macroeconomics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucd:wpaper:201711. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/geucdie.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If CitEc recognized a bibliographic reference but did not link an item in RePEc to it, you can help with this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Geary Tech (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/geucdie.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.