Old-age Support and Demographic Transition in Developing Countries. A Cultural Transmission Model
We model intergenerational old-age support within the context of a developing country that faces demographic transition: declining fertility and increasing life expectancy. We attempt to answer if agents will be able to support their parents during the next generations and under what conditions. For this purpose we use a three period overlapping generations model and a cultural transmission process, in which agents may be socialized to different cultural family models (old-age supporters and non-supporters). As life expectancy increases, we find conditions under which a reduced fertility rate is compatible with the expectation to be supported during old-age. This offers an additional explanation for the persistency of family old-age support in developing countries facing demographic transsition.
|Date of creation:||09 May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +353 1 7164615
Fax: +353 1 7161108
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie/geary/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morand, Olivier F, 1999. " Endogenous Fertility, Income Distribution, and Growth," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 331-49, September.
- Cox, Donald & Stark, Oded, 2004.
"On The Demand For Grandchildren: Tied Transfers And The Demonstration Effect,"
18751, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Cox, Donald & Stark, Oded, 2005. "On the demand for grandchildren: tied transfers and the demonstration effect," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(9-10), pages 1665-1697, September.
- Donald Cox & Oded Stark, 2007. "On the Demand for Grandchildren: Tied Transfers and the Demonstration Effect," Chapters, in: Handbook on the Economics of Happiness, chapter 18 Edward Elgar.
- Cox, Donald & Stark, Oded, 2004. "On the Demand for Grandchildren: Tied Transfers and the Demonstration Effect," Economics Series 158, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Willis, Robert J, 1973. "A New Approach to the Economic Theory of Fertility Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(2), pages S14-64, Part II, .
- Fernández, Raquel & Fogli, Alessandra, 2005.
"Fertility: The Role of Culture and Family Experience,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5221, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raquel Fernández & Alessandra Fogli, 2006. "Fertility: The Role of Culture and Family Experience," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(2-3), pages 552-561, 04-05.
- Raquel Fernandez & Alessandra Fogli, 2005. "Fertility: The Role of Culture and Family Experience," Working Papers 05-14, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Raquel Fernández & Alessandra Fogli, 2005. "Fertility: The Role of Culture and Family Experience," NBER Working Papers 11569, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- K Blackburn & G P Cipriani, 2002.
"Intergenerational Transfers and Demographic Transition,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0218, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Blackburn, Keith & Cipriani, Giam Pietro, 2005. "Intergenerational transfers and demographic transition," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 191-214, October.
- K Blackburn & G P Cipriani, 2002. "Intergenerational Transfers and Demographic Transition," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 14, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Bisin, A. & Verdier, T., 1997.
"The Economics of Cultural Transmission and the Dynamics of Preferences,"
DELTA Working Papers
97-03, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Bisin, Alberto & Verdier, Thierry, 2001. "The Economics of Cultural Transmission and the Dynamics of Preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 298-319, April.
- Gregory Ponthiere, 2010. "Unequal Longevities and Lifestyles Transmission," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 12(1), pages 93-126, 02.
- Baudin, Thomas, 2010.
"A Role For Cultural Transmission In Fertility Transitions,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(04), pages 454-481, September.
- BAUDIN, Thomas, . "A role for cultural transmission in fertility transitions," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2252, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Thomas Baudin, 2007. "A role for cultural transmission in fertility transitions," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne v07032, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Thomas Baudin, 2007. "A Role for Cultural Transmission in Fertility Transitions," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00159595, HAL.
- Leroux, M.-L. & Pestieau, P. & Ponthiere, G., 2011.
"Longevity, genes and efforts: An optimal taxation approach to prevention,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 62-76, January.
- LEROUX, Marie-Louise & PESTIEAU, Pierre & PONTHIERE, Grégory, . "Longevity, genes and efforts: an optimal taxation approach to prevention," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2309, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Palivos, Theodore, 2001. "Social norms, fertility and economic development," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 1919-1934, December.
- Dahan, Momi & Tsiddon, Daniel, 1998.
" Demographic Transition, Income Distribution, and Economic Growth,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 29-52, March.
- Dahan, M & Tsiddon, D, 1996. "Demographic Transition, Income Distribution and Economic Growth," Papers 42-96, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- Michele Boldrin & Larry E. Jones, 2002. "Mortality, Fertility, and Saving in a Malthusian Economy," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 5(4), pages 775-814, October.
- Lau, Sau-Him Paul, 2009. "Demographic structure and capital accumulation: A quantitative assessment," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 554-567, March.
- Alberto Bisin & Thierry Verdier, 2010. "The Economics of Cultural Transmission and Socialization," NBER Working Papers 16512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Bisin & Giorgio Topa & Thierry Verdier, 2009. "Cultural transmission, socialization and the population dynamics of multiple-trait distributions," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 5(1), pages 139-154.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucd:wpaper:201307. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geary Tech)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.