200 years diversifying the energy mix? Diversification paths of the energy baskets of European early comers vs. latecomers
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Sofia Teives Henriques & Paul Sharp, 2016.
"The Danish agricultural revolution in an energy perspective: a case of development with few domestic energy sources,"
Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 69(3), pages 844-869, August.
- Sofia Teives Henriques & Paul Sharp, 2014. "The Danish Agricultural Revolution in an Energy Perspective: A Case of Development with Few Domestic Energy Sources," Working Papers 0056, European Historical Economics Society (EHES).
- Henriques, Sofia Teives & Sharp, Paul, 2015. "The Danish Agricultural Revolution in an Energy Perspective: A Case of Development with Few Domestic Energy Sources," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 217, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Henriques, Sofia Teives & Sharp, Paul, 2014. "The Danish Agricultural Revolution in an Energy Perspective: A Case of Development with Few Domestic Energy Sources," Discussion Papers on Economics 9/2014, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Economics.
- Stirling, Andrew, 1994. "Diversity and ignorance in electricity supply investment : Addressing the solution rather than the problem," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 195-216, March.
- Llerena, Daniel & Llerena, Patrick, 1993.
"Diversity and valorization of the electricity-generation technologies in the European Community,"
Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 223-232, July.
- Daniel Llerena & Patrick Llerena, 1993. "Diversity and valorization of the electricity generation technologies in the European Community," Post-Print hal-01809189, HAL.
- Grubb, Michael & Butler, Lucy & Twomey, Paul, 2006.
"Diversity and security in UK electricity generation: The influence of low-carbon objectives,"
Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 4050-4062, December.
- Grubb, M. & Butler, L. & Sinden, G., 2005. "Diversity and Security in UK Electricity Generation: The Influence of Low Carbon Objectives," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0511, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- van der Kroon, Bianca & Brouwer, Roy & van Beukering, Pieter J.H., 2013. "The energy ladder: Theoretical myth or empirical truth? Results from a meta-analysis," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 20(C), pages 504-513.
- van Hove, Leo, 1993. "Diversification of primary energy consumption in six West European countries : Quantification and analysis by means of measures of concentration," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 239-244, October.
- Kander, Astrid, 2005. "Baumol's disease and dematerialization of the economy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 119-130, October.
- Rubio, M.d.Mar & Folchi, Mauricio, 2012. "Will small energy consumers be faster in transition? Evidence from the early shift from coal to oil in Latin America," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 50-61.
- Jun, Eunju & Kim, Wonjoon & Chang, Soon Heung, 2009. "The analysis of security cost for different energy sources," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(10), pages 1894-1901, October.
- Gales, Ben & Kander, Astrid & Malanima, Paolo & Rubio, Mar, 2007. "North versus South: Energy transition and energy intensity in Europe over 200 years," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 219-253, August.
- Kruyt, Bert & van Vuuren, D.P. & de Vries, H.J.M. & Groenenberg, H., 2009. "Indicators for energy security," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2166-2181, June.
- Pearson, Peter J.G. & Foxon, Timothy J., 2012. "A low carbon industrial revolution? Insights and challenges from past technological and economic transformations," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 117-127.
- Fischer, Carolyn, 2005. "On the importance of the supply side in demand-side management," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 165-180, January.
- Shrestha, Ram M. & Shakya, Shree Raj, 2012. "Benefits of low carbon development in a developing country: Case of Nepal," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(S3), pages 503-512.
- Gupta, Kartick, 2016. "Oil price shocks, competition, and oil & gas stock returns — Global evidence," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 140-153.
- Allen, Robert C., 2012. "Backward into the future: The shift to coal and implications for the next energy transition," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 17-23.
- Weston, J. Fred & Johnson, Brian A. & Siu, Juan A., 1999. "Mergers and restructuring in the world oil industry," Journal of Energy Finance & Development, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 149-183.
- van Vliet, Oscar & Krey, Volker & McCollum, David & Pachauri, Shonali & Nagai, Yu & Rao, Shilpa & Riahi, Keywan, 2012. "Synergies in the Asian energy system: Climate change, energy security, energy access and air pollution," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(S3), pages 470-480.
- Doane, Michael J. & McAfee, R. Preston & Nayyar, Ashish & Williams, Michael A., 2008. "Interpreting concentration indices in the secondary market for natural gas transportation: The implication of pipeline residual rights," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 807-817, May.
- Chernenko, Nadia, 2015. "Market power issues in the reformed Russian electricity supply industry," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 315-323.
- Le Coq, Chloé & Paltseva, Elena, 2009.
"Measuring the security of external energy supply in the European Union,"
Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4474-4481, November.
- Le Coq, Chloe & Paltseva, Elena, 2009. "Measuring the Security of External Energy Supply in the European Union," SITE Working Paper Series 2, Stockholm School of Economics, Stockholm Institute of Transition Economics.
- Frondel, Manuel & Schmidt, Christoph M., 2008. "Measuring Energy Security – A Conceptual Note," Ruhr Economic Papers 52, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- repec:zbw:rwirep:0052 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ben Ammar, Semir & Eling, Martin, 2015. "Common risk factors of infrastructure investments," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 257-273.
- Costantini, Valeria & Gracceva, Francesco & Markandya, Anil & Vicini, Giorgio, 2007.
"Security of energy supply: Comparing scenarios from a European perspective,"
Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 210-226, January.
- Giorgio Vicini & Francesco Gracceva & Anil Markandya & Valeria Costantini, 2005. "Security of Energy Supply: Comparing Scenarios From a European Perspective," Working Papers 2005.89, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Rosenbloom, Daniel & Meadowcroft, James, 2014. "The journey towards decarbonization: Exploring socio-technical transitions in the electricity sector in the province of Ontario (1885–2013) and potential low-carbon pathways," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 65(C), pages 670-679.
- Stirling, Andy, 2010. "Multicriteria diversity analysis: A novel heuristic framework for appraising energy portfolios," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 1622-1634, April.
- Bennett, Simon J, 2012. "Using past transitions to inform scenarios for the future of renewable raw materials in the UK," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 95-108.
- Steinmueller, W. Edward, 2013. "The pre-industrial energy crisis and resource scarcity as a source of transition," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(10), pages 1739-1748.
- Gupta, Eshita, 2008. "Oil vulnerability index of oil-importing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 1195-1211, March.
- Marcotullio, Peter J. & Schulz, Niels B., 2007. "Comparison of Energy Transitions in the United States and Developing and Industrializing Economies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1650-1683, October.
- Genc, Talat S., 2016. "Measuring demand responses to wholesale electricity prices using market power indices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 247-260.
- Sen, Anindya, 2003. "Higher prices at Canadian gas pumps: international crude oil prices or local market concentration? An empirical investigation," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 269-288, May.
- Quintino, Derick David & David, Sergio Adriani, 2013. "Quantitative analysis of feasibility of hydrous ethanol futures contracts in Brazil," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 927-935.
- Fouquet, Roger, 2016. "Lessons from energy history for climate policy: technological change, demand and economic development," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 67785, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Julián D. Gómez, 2018. "Â¿Qué determina la adopción de tecnologías para la generación de energías renovables entre países?," Documentos CEDE 017132, Universidad de los Andes - CEDE.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Rubio-Varas, Mar & Muñoz-Delgado, Beatriz, 2019. "Long-term diversification paths and energy transitions in Europe," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 163(C), pages 158-168.
- Chuang, Ming Chih & Ma, Hwong Wen, 2013. "Energy security and improvements in the function of diversity indices—Taiwan energy supply structure case study," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 9-20.
- Gozgor, Giray & Paramati, Sudharshan Reddy, 2022.
"Does energy diversification cause an economic slowdown? Evidence from a newly constructed energy diversification index,"
Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(C).
- Giray Gozgor & Sudharshan Reddy Paramati, 2021. "Does Energy Diversification Cause an Economic Slowdown? Evidence from a Newly Constructed Energy Diversification Index," CESifo Working Paper Series 9247, CESifo.
- Sato, Masahiro & Kharrazi, Ali & Nakayama, Hirofumi & Kraines, Steven & Yarime, Masaru, 2017. "Quantifying the supplier-portfolio diversity of embodied energy: Strategic implications for strengthening energy resilience," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 105(C), pages 41-52.
- Ang, B.W. & Choong, W.L. & Ng, T.S., 2015. "Energy security: Definitions, dimensions and indexes," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 1077-1093.
- Jewell, Jessica & Cherp, Aleh & Riahi, Keywan, 2014. "Energy security under de-carbonization scenarios: An assessment framework and evaluation under different technology and policy choices," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 65(C), pages 743-760.
- Dakpogan, Arnaud & Smit, Eon, 2018. "Measuring electricity security risk," MPRA Paper 89295, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Johansson, Bengt, 2013. "A broadened typology on energy and security," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 199-205.
- Ioannidis, Alexis & Chalvatzis, Konstantinos J. & Li, Xin & Notton, Gilles & Stephanides, Phedeas, 2019. "The case for islands’ energy vulnerability: Electricity supply diversity in 44 global islands," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 143(C), pages 440-452.
- Aleh Cherp & Jessica Jewell, 2013. "Energy security assessment framework and three case studies," Chapters, in: Hugh Dyer & Maria Julia Trombetta (ed.), International Handbook of Energy Security, chapter 8, pages 146-173, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- E. Allevi & L. Boffino & M. E. Giuli & G. Oggioni, 2018. "Evaluating the impacts of the external supply risk in a natural gas supply chain: the case of the Italian market," Journal of Global Optimization, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 347-384, February.
- Kapil Narula & B. Sudhakara Reddy, 2014.
"Three Blind Men and an Elephant: The Case of Energy Indices to Measure Energy Security and Sustainability,"
- Kapil Narula & B. Sudhakara Reddy, 2014. "Three blind men and elephant: The Case of energy indices to measure energy security and sustainability," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2014-024, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Narula, Kapil & Reddy, B. Sudhakara, 2015. "Three blind men and an elephant: The case of energy indices to measure energy security and energy sustainability," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 80(C), pages 148-158.
- Blum, Helcio & Legey, Luiz F.L., 2012. "The challenging economics of energy security: Ensuring energy benefits in support to sustainable development," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1982-1989.
- Månsson, André & Johansson, Bengt & Nilsson, Lars J., 2014. "Assessing energy security: An overview of commonly used methodologies," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 73(C), pages 1-14.
- Aleh Cherp & Jessica Jewell & Vadim Vinichenko & Nico Bauer & Enrica Cian, 2016. "Global energy security under different climate policies, GDP growth rates and fossil resource availabilities," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 136(1), pages 83-94, May.
- Dike, Jude Chukwudi, 2013. "Measuring the security of energy exports demand in OPEC economies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 594-600.
- Vivoda, Vlado, 2019. "LNG import diversification and energy security in Asia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 129(C), pages 967-974.
- Kamonphorn Kanchana & Hironobu Unesaki, 2015. "Assessing Energy Security Using Indicator-Based Analysis: The Case of ASEAN Member Countries," Social Sciences, MDPI, vol. 4(4), pages 1-47, December.
- Böhringer, Christoph & Bortolamedi, Markus, 2015.
"Sense and no(n)-sense of energy security indicators,"
Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 119(C), pages 359-371.
- Christoph Böhringer & Markus Bortolamedi, 2015. "Sense and No(n)-Sense of Energy Security Indicators," Working Papers V-381-15, University of Oldenburg, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2015.
- Christoph Böhringer & Markus Bortolamedi, 2015. "Sense and No(n)-Sense of Energy Security Indicators," ZenTra Working Papers in Transnational Studies 55 / 2015, ZenTra - Center for Transnational Studies.
More about this item
Keywordsenergy mix; energy transitions; energy baskets; energy diversification; energy concentration index; Europe;
All these keywords.
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- N50 - Economic History - - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment and Extractive Industries - - - General, International, or Comparative
- N70 - Economic History - - Economic History: Transport, International and Domestic Trade, Energy, and Other Services - - - General, International, or Comparative
- O13 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- O33 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Innovation; Research and Development; Technological Change; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- Q40 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - General
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uam:wpapeh:201701. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/dauames.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Patricio Sáiz (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/dauames.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.