College Schooling for Grandchildren and Contact with Grandparents
Previous work on social interactions analyzed the effects of nuclear family, peer, school, and neighborhood characteristics. This is the first paper showing that, independent of unobserved parent's characteristics, higher years of grandparents' schooling increase college attendance rates for grandchildren. The paper implies that background effects are more pervasive and longer-lasting than previously believed. It also suggests that some policies aimed at reducing inequality may be less effective than initially hypothesized.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Medford, MA 02155, USA|
Phone: (617) 627-3560
Fax: (617) 627-3917
Web page: http://ase.tufts.edu/economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maurin, Eric, 2002.
"The impact of parental income on early schooling transitions: A re-examination using data over three generations,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 301-332, September.
- Eric Maurin, 1999. "The Impact of Parental Income on Early Schooling Transitions : A Re-examination Using Data over Three Generations," Working Papers 99-69, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Susan M. Dynarski, 2003.
"Does Aid Matter? Measuring the Effect of Student Aid on College Attendance and Completion,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 279-288, March.
- Dynarski, Susan, 2001. "Does Aid Matter? Measuring the Effect of Student Aid on College Attendance and Completion," Working Paper Series rwp01-034, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Susan M. Dynarski, 1999. "Does Aid Matter? Measuring the Effect of Student Aid on College Attendance and Completion," NBER Working Papers 7422, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Black, Sandra & Devereux, Paul J., 2010.
"Recent Developments in Intergenerational Mobility,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7786, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sandra E. Black & Paul J. Devereux, 2010. "Recent Developments in Intergenerational Mobility," Working Papers 201025, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Black, Sandra E. & Devereux, Paul J., 2010. "Recent Developments in Intergenerational Mobility," IZA Discussion Papers 4866, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sandra E. Black & Paul J. Devereux, 2010. "Recent developments in intergenerational mobility," Working Papers 201010, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Sandra E. Black & Paul J. Devereux, 2010. "Recent Developments in Intergenerational Mobility," NBER Working Papers 15889, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tuf:tuftec:0757. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Kalogeropoulos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.