Spatial Competition and Demand: An Application to Motion Pictures
This paper provides a rich assessment of the demand characteristics for movie theatre attendance in two major metropolitan markets and provides strong support for the importance of spatial characteristics in empirical demand analysis. We provide evidence of the usual competitive effect of location on an exhibitor’s demand but also find evidence of a clustering effect: when a group of theatres is in close proximity to each other, their proximity generates additional demand for all theatres within the cluster. The demographic evidence suggests that movie attendance is a normal good but does not support the commonly held industry view that young male viewers drive demand. Finally, we show that attendance at a particular theatre is affected by both the theatre’s attributes and the attributes of nearby competing theatres. The attributes we include cover physical features and theatre type.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Medford, MA 02155, USA|
Phone: (617) 627-3560
Fax: (617) 627-3917
Web page: http://ase.tufts.edu/economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan H. Hamilton & W. Bentley MacLeod & Jacques-François Thisse, 1991.
"Spatial Competition and the Core,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 106(3), pages 925-937.
- Hamilton, J.H. & Macleod, W.P. & Thisse, J.F., 1988. "Spatial Competition And The Core," Papers 88-6, Florida - College of Business Administration.
- Jonathan H. Hamilton & W. Bentley MacLeod, 1987. "Spatial Competition and the Core," Working Papers 704, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- HAMILTON, John H. & MacLEOD, W. Bentley & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "Spatial competition and the core," CORE Discussion Papers RP 986, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hamilton, J.H. & Macleod, W.B. & Thisse, J-F., 1988. "Spacial Competition And The Core," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 110-89, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Ioannides, Yannis M. & Zabel, Jeffrey E., 2008.
"Interactions, neighborhood selection and housing demand,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 229-252, January.
- Yannis M. Ioannides & Jeffrey E. Zabel, 2002. "Interaction, Neighborhood Selection and Housing Demand," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0208, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Yannis M Ioannides & Jeffrey E Zabel, 2002. "Interactions, Neighborhood Selection, and Housing Demand," Working Papers 02-19, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Darlene Chisholm & George Norman, 2002.
"Heterogeneous Preferences and Location Choice with Multi-Product Firms,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0205, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Chisholm, Darlene C. & Norman, George, 2004. "Heterogeneous preferences and location choice with multi-product firms," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 321-339, May.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-713 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gilbert E. Metcalf & George Norman, 2003.
"Oligopoly Deregulation in General Equilibrium: A Tax Neutralization Result,"
NBER Working Papers
9416, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gilbert E. Metcalf & George Norman, 2002. "Oligopoly Deregulation in General Equilibrium: A Tax Neutralization Result," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0210, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Chisholm, Darlene C, 1997. "Profit-Sharing versus Fixed-Payment Contracts: Evidence from the Motion Pictures Industry," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 169-201, April.
- Don Fullerton & Gilbert Metcalf, 2002. "The Distribution of Tax Burdens," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0201, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- H. Kelejian, Harry & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2001.
"On the asymptotic distribution of the Moran I test statistic with applications,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 219-257, September.
- Harry H. Kelejian & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1999. "On the Asymptotic Distribution of the Moran I Test Statistic with Applications," Electronic Working Papers 99-002, University of Maryland, Department of Economics.
- Simon P. Anderson & Andre de Palma & Jacques-Francois Thisse, 1987. "Demand for Differentiated Products," Discussion Papers 726, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Pinkse, Joris & Slade, Margaret E., 1998. "Contracting in space: An application of spatial statistics to discrete-choice models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 125-154, July.
- Peter Davis, 2006. "Spatial competition in retail markets: movie theaters," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(4), pages 964-982, December.
- Bolduc, Denis & Laferriere, Richard & Santarossa, Gino, 1992. "Spatial autoregressive error components in travel flow models," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 371-385, September.
- Pal, Debashis & Sarkar, Jyotirmoy, 2002. "Spatial competition among multi-store firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 163-190, February.
- George Norman & Lynne Pepall & Daniel Richards, 2002.
"Product Differentiation, Cost-Reducing Mergers, and Consumer Welfare,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0214, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- George Norman & Lynne Pepall & Daniel Richards, 2005. "Product differentiation, cost-reducing mergers, and consumer welfare," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1204-1223, November.
- Janet S. Netz & Beck A. Taylor, 1998. "Maximum or Minimum Differentiation? An Empirical Investigation into the Location of Firms," Industrial Organization 9812003, EconWPA.
- Brown, K.D. & Deardorff, A.V. & Stern, R.M., 1997.
"Trade and Labor Standards,"
394, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Masahisa Fujita & Paul Krugman & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "The Spatial Economy: Cities, Regions, and International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262561476, December.
- ANDERSON, Simon P. & de PALMA, André & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"Demand for differentiated products, discrete choice models, and the characteristics approach,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
824, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Simon P. Anderson & André De Palma & Jacques-François Thisse, 1989. "Demand for Differentiated Products, Discrete Choice Models, and the Characteristics Approach," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(1), pages 21-35.
- Garrett, Thomas A. & Marsh, Thomas L., 2002. "The revenue impacts of cross-border lottery shopping in the presence of spatial autocorrelation," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 501-519, July.
- Dubin, Robin A., 1998. "Spatial Autocorrelation: A Primer," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 304-327, December.
- Borenstein, Severin & Netz, Janet, 1999. "Why do all the flights leave at 8 am?: Competition and departure-time differentiation in airline markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 611-640, July.
- Dan Bernhardt & Eric Hughson & Edward Kutsoati, 2002. "Survival of the Unfittest: How Dodos Become Managers," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0212, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tuf:tuftec:0216. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Kalogeropoulos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.