Spatial Competition and Demand: An Application to Motion Pictures
This paper provides a rich assessment of the demand characteristics for movie theatre attendance in two major metropolitan markets and provides strong support for the importance of spatial characteristics in empirical demand analysis. We provide evidence of the usual competitive effect of location on an exhibitor’s demand but also find evidence of a clustering effect: when a group of theatres is in close proximity to each other, their proximity generates additional demand for all theatres within the cluster. The demographic evidence suggests that movie attendance is a normal good but does not support the commonly held industry view that young male viewers drive demand. Finally, we show that attendance at a particular theatre is affected by both the theatre’s attributes and the attributes of nearby competing theatres. The attributes we include cover physical features and theatre type.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Medford, MA 02155, USA|
Phone: (617) 627-3560
Fax: (617) 627-3917
Web page: http://ase.tufts.edu/economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon P. Anderson & Andre de Palma & Jacques-Francois Thisse, 1987. "Demand for Differentiated Products," Discussion Papers 726, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Don Fullerton & Gilbert Metcalf, 2002. "The Distribution of Tax Burdens," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0201, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Gilbert E. Metcalf & George Norman, 2003.
"Oligopoly Deregulation in General Equilibrium: A Tax Neutralization Result,"
NBER Working Papers
9416, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gilbert E. Metcalf & George Norman, 2002. "Oligopoly Deregulation in General Equilibrium: A Tax Neutralization Result," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0210, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Dan Bernhardt & Eric Hughson & Edward Kutsoati, 2002. "Survival of the Unfittest: How Dodos Become Managers," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0212, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Chisholm, Darlene C, 1997. "Profit-Sharing versus Fixed-Payment Contracts: Evidence from the Motion Pictures Industry," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 169-201, April.
- Masahisa Fujita & Paul Krugman & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "The Spatial Economy: Cities, Regions, and International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262561476, June.
- Garrett, Thomas A. & Marsh, Thomas L., 2002. "The revenue impacts of cross-border lottery shopping in the presence of spatial autocorrelation," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 501-519, July.
- Dubin, Robin A., 1998. "Spatial Autocorrelation: A Primer," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 304-327, December.
- Janet S. Netz & Beck A. Taylor, 1998. "Maximum or Minimum Differentiation? An Empirical Investigation into the Location of Firms," Industrial Organization 9812003, EconWPA.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-713 is not listed on IDEAS
- George Norman & Lynne Pepall & Daniel Richards, 2005.
"Product differentiation, cost-reducing mergers, and consumer welfare,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1204-1223, November.
- George Norman & Lynne Pepall & Daniel Richards, 2002. "Product Differentiation, Cost-Reducing Mergers, and Consumer Welfare," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0214, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Borenstein, Severin & Netz, Janet, 1999. "Why do all the flights leave at 8 am?: Competition and departure-time differentiation in airline markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 611-640, July.
- Bolduc, Denis & Laferriere, Richard & Santarossa, Gino, 1992. "Spatial autoregressive error components in travel flow models," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 371-385, September.
- Peter Davis, 2006. "Spatial competition in retail markets: movie theaters," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(4), pages 964-982, December.
- Jonathan H. Hamilton & W. Bentley MacLeod & Jacques-François Thisse, 1991. "Spatial Competition and the Core," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(3), pages 925-937.
- Chisholm, Darlene C. & Norman, George, 2004.
"Heterogeneous preferences and location choice with multi-product firms,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 321-339, May.
- Darlene Chisholm & George Norman, 2002. "Heterogeneous Preferences and Location Choice with Multi-Product Firms," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0205, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Ioannides, Yannis M. & Zabel, Jeffrey E., 2008.
"Interactions, neighborhood selection and housing demand,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 229-252, January.
- Yannis M Ioannides & Jeffrey E Zabel, 2002. "Interactions, Neighborhood Selection, and Housing Demand," Working Papers 02-19, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Yannis M. Ioannides & Jeffrey E. Zabel, 2002. "Interaction, Neighborhood Selection and Housing Demand," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0208, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Brown, K.D. & Deardorff, A.V. & Stern, R.M., 1997.
"Trade and Labor Standards,"
394, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- repec:oup:restud:v:56:y:1989:i:1:p:21-35 is not listed on IDEAS
- H. Kelejian, Harry & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2001. "On the asymptotic distribution of the Moran I test statistic with applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 219-257, September.
- Pal, Debashis & Sarkar, Jyotirmoy, 2002. "Spatial competition among multi-store firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 163-190, February.
- Pinkse, Joris & Slade, Margaret E., 1998. "Contracting in space: An application of spatial statistics to discrete-choice models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 125-154, July.
- Simon P. Anderson & André De Palma & Jacques-François Thisse, 1989. "Demand for Differentiated Products, Discrete Choice Models, and the Characteristics Approach," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(1), pages 21-35.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tuf:tuftec:0216. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Kalogeropoulos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.