UN Interventions: The Role of Geography
This paper argues that UN military interventions are geographically biased. For every 1,000 kilometers of distance from the three Western permanent UNSC members (France, UK, US), the probability of a UN military intervention decreases by 4 percent. We are able to rule out several alternative explanations for the distance finding, such as differences by continent, colonial origin, bilateral trade relationships, foreign aid flows, political regime forms, or the characteristics of the Cold War. We do not observe this geographical bias for non-military interventions and find evidence that practical considerations could be important factors for UNSC decisions to intervene militarily.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aysegul Aydin, 2010. "Where Do States Go? Strategy in Civil War Intervention," Conflict Management and Peace Science, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 27(1), pages 47-66, February.
- Spolaore, Enrico & Alesina, Alberto, 2005.
"War, Peace, and the Size of Countries,"
4553002, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Enrico Spolaore & Alberto Alesina, 2001. "War, Peace and the Size of Countries," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1937, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Ilyana Kuziemko & Eric Werker, 2006. "How Much Is a Seat on the Security Council Worth? Foreign Aid and Bribery at the United Nations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(5), pages 905-930, October.
- Carmignani, Fabrizio & Kler, Parvinder, 2016.
"Surrounded by wars: Quantifying the role of spatial conflict spillovers,"
Economic Analysis and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 7-16.
- Fabrizio Carmignani & Parvinder Kler, 2013. "Surrounded by wars: Quantifying the role of spatial conflict spillovers," Discussion Papers in Economics economics:201303, Griffith University, Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics.
- Olaf De Groot, 2010. "The Spillover Effects Of Conflict On Economic Growth In Neighbouring Countries In Africa," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 149-164.
- Salehyan, Idean & Gleditsch, Kristian Skrede, 2006. "Refugees and the Spread of Civil War," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 60(02), pages 335-366, April.
- Dreher, Axel & Sturm, Jan-Egbert & Vreeland, James Raymond, 2009. "Global horse trading: IMF loans for votes in the United Nations Security Council," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 742-757, October.
- Thompson, Alexander, 2006. "Coercion Through IOs: The Security Council and the Logic of Information Transmission," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 60(01), pages 1-34, January.
- Kyle A Joyce & Alex Braithwaite, 2013. "Geographic proximity and third-party joiners in militarized interstate disputes," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 50(5), pages 595-608, September.
- Pedro Amaral & Luc Anselin & Daniel Arribas-Bel, 2013. "Testing for spatial error dependence in probit models," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 91-101, July.
- H. Kelejian, Harry & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2001.
"On the asymptotic distribution of the Moran I test statistic with applications,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 219-257, September.
- Harry H. Kelejian & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1999. "On the Asymptotic Distribution of the Moran I Test Statistic with Applications," Electronic Working Papers 99-002, University of Maryland, Department of Economics.
- Axel Dreher & Jan-Egbert Sturm & James Raymond Vreeland, 2007.
"Development Aid and International Politics: Does membership on the UN Security Council influence World Bank decisions?,"
KOF Working papers
07-171, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Dreher, Axel & Sturm, Jan-Egbert & Vreeland, James Raymond, 2009. "Development aid and international politics: Does membership on the UN Security Council influence World Bank decisions?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Philippe Martin & Thierry Mayer & Mathias Thoenig, 2012.
"The Geography of Conflicts and Regional Trade Agreements,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 4(4), pages 1-35, October.
- Thierry Mayer & Mathias Thoenig & Philippe Martin, 2012. "The Geography of Conflicts and Regional Trade Agreements," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/f4rshpf3v1u, Sciences Po.
- Pinkse, Joris & Slade, Margaret E., 1998. "Contracting in space: An application of spatial statistics to discrete-choice models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 125-154, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp8052. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.