Marriage and Fertility in a Catholic Society: Eighteenth-Century Quebec
There are similarities and differences in marriage and fertility behavior between early North American societies and their modern counterparts. This paper investigates the quantitative importance of differential fecundity, assortative matching, and marriage market search frictions in affecting marriage and fertility behavior in a Catholic society, 18th century Quebec. The model may provide an explanation for both the historic and current experience.
|Date of creation:||11 Mar 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 150 St. George Street, Toronto, Ontario|
Phone: (416) 978-5283
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schoeni, Robert F, 1995.
"Marital Status and Earnings in Developed Countries,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 8(4), pages 351-59, November.
- Schoeni, R.F., 1996. "Marital Status and Earnings in Developed Countries," Papers 96-14, RAND - Reprint Series.
- Shimer, R. & Smith, L., 1997.
"Assortative Matching and Search,"
97-2a, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Ted Bergstrom, 1994.
"On the Economics of Polygyny,"
- Ted Bergstrom, . "On the Economic of Polygyny," Papers _032, University of Michigan, Department of Economics.
- Ted Bergstrom, 1994. "On the Economics of Polygyny," Papers _026, University of Michigan, Department of Economics.
- Theodore C. Bergstrom, . "On the Economics of Polygyny," ELSE working papers 042, ESRC Centre on Economics Learning and Social Evolution.
- Bergstrom, T. & Bagnoli, M., 1991.
"Courtship as a waiting game,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
386, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Mark Bagnoli & Ted Bergstrom, . "Courtship as a Waiting Game," Papers _030, University of Michigan, Department of Economics.
- Bergstrom, T. & Bagnali, M., 1991. "Courtship as a Waiting Game," Papers 91-3, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Bergstrom, T. & Bagnoli, M., 1990. "Courtship as a Waiting Game," Papers 90-12, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Aloysius Siow, 1996.
"Differential Fecundity, Markets and Gender Roles,"
siow-96-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Aiyagari, S.R. & Greenwood, J. & Guner, N., 1999.
"On the State of the Union,"
RCER Working Papers
462, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Zhang, Junsen, 1995. "Do men with higher wages marry earlier or later?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 193-196, August.
- repec:cai:popine:popu_p1977_32n1_0352 is not listed on IDEAS
- Becker, Gary S & Landes, Elisabeth M & Michael, Robert T, 1977. "An Economic Analysis of Marital Instability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(6), pages 1141-87, December.
- George A. Akerlof & Janet L. Yellen & Michael L. Katz, 1996. "An Analysis of Out-of-Wedlock Childbearing in the United States," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 111(2), pages 277-317.
- Sanders Korenman & David Neumark, 1990.
"Marriage, Motherhood, and Wages,"
NBER Working Papers
3473, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peters, Michael, 1991. "Ex Ante Price Offers in Matching Games Non-steady States," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1425-54, September.
- Aloysius Siow & Xiaodong Zhu, 1998. "Differential Fecundity and Gender Biased Parental Investment," Working Papers siow-99-03, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Shouyong Shi, 1998.
988, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Bergstrom, Ted & Schoeni, Robert F, 1996.
"Income Prospects and Age-at-Marriage,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 9(2), pages 115-30, May.
- Shelly Lundberg & Robert A. Pollak, 1996. "Bargaining and Distribution in Marriage," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(4), pages 139-158, Fall.
- Michael R. Haines, 1996. "Long Term Marriage Patterns in the United States from Colonial Times tothe Present," NBER Historical Working Papers 0080, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamilton, Gillian, 1999. "Property Rights and Transaction Costs in Marriage: Evidence from Prenuptial Contracts," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 59(01), pages 68-103, March.
- Chiappori, Pierre-André & Fortin, Bernard & Lacroix, Guy, 1998. "Household Labor Supply, Sharing Rule and the Marriage Market," Cahiers de recherche 9810, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Keeley, Michael C, 1977. "The Economics of Family Formation," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 15(2), pages 238-50, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tor:tecipa:siow-99-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RePEc Maintainer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.