Dynamics of a Protected Housing Market: The Case of Switzerland
We analyze the determinants and dynamics of a highly protected housing market. Based on Swiss data for the time period 1990 to 2009 we model house prices and construction activity. We find that house prices exhibit a positive association with construction price, working age population as well as GDP and a negative with interest rates, whereas construction activity is positively related to working age population and GDP and negatively with construction price and interest rates. These estimates are broadly consistent with previous theoretical and empirical research.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:||Oct 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Trinity College, Dublin 2|
Phone: (+ 353 1) 6081325
Web page: http://www.tcd.ie/Economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven Bourassa & Martin Hoesli, 2010.
"Why Do the Swiss Rent?,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 286-309, April.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko & Raven E. Saks, 2005.
"Why Have Housing Prices Gone Up?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 329-333, May.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko & Raven E. Saks, 2005. "Why Have Housing Prices Gone Up?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2061, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko & Raven Saks, 2005. "Why Have Housing Prices Gone Up?," NBER Working Papers 11129, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Weil, David N., 1989.
"The baby boom, the baby bust, and the housing market,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 235-258, May.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David N. Weil, 1988. "The Baby Boom, The Baby Bust, and the Housing Market," NBER Working Papers 2794, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elias Oikarinen, 2008.
"Interaction between housing prices and household borrowing - the Finnish case,"
29, Aboa Centre for Economics.
- Oikarinen, Elias, 2009. "Interaction between housing prices and household borrowing: The Finnish case," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 747-756, April.
- Englund, P. & Ioannides, Y.M., 1996.
"House Price Dynamics: An International Empirical Perspective,"
1996-01, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Englund, Peter & Ioannides, Yannis M., 1997. "House Price Dynamics: An International Empirical Perspective," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 119-136, June.
- Kathrin Degen & Andreas M. Fischer, 2010.
"Immigration and Swiss House Prices,"
2010-16, Swiss National Bank.
- Malpezzi, Stephen, 1999.
"A Simple Error Correction Model of House Prices,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 27-62, March.
- James M. Poterba, 1991. "House Price Dynamics: The Role of Tax Policy," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(2), pages 143-204.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1988.
"The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes,"
NBER Working Papers
2506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Case, Karl E & Shiller, Robert J, 1989. "The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 125-37, March.
- Michael Ball, 2011. "Planning Delay and the Responsiveness of English Housing Supply," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 48(2), pages 349-362, February.
- Meen, Geoffrey, 2002. "The Time-Series Behavior of House Prices: A Transatlantic Divide?," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-23, March.
- James A. Kahn, 2009. "Productivity swings and housing prices," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 15(Jul).
- Karol Jan Borowiecki, 2009. "The Determinants of House Prices and Construction: An Empirical Investigation of the Swiss Housing Economy," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 12(3), pages 193-220.
- Eric Levin & Alberto Montagnoli & Robert E. Wright, 2009. "Demographic Change and the Housing Market: Evidence from a Comparison of Scotland and England," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 46(1), pages 27-43, January.
- James A. Kahn, 2008. "What drives housing prices?," Staff Reports 345, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcd:tcduee:tep1011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Hughes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.