Why crude oil prices are high when global activity is weak?
There have been substantial increases in liquidity in recent years and real oil prices have almost returned to the high levels achieved before the Global financial crisis. Unanticipated increases in global real M2 lead to statistically significant increases in real oil prices. The cumulative impact of global real M2 on the real price of crude oil is important in the recovery of oil price during 2009 and 2010.
|Date of creation:||20 Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:||20 Mar 2013|
|Publication status:||Published by the University of Tasmania. Discussion paper 2013-01|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Private Bag 85, Hobart, Tasmania 7001|
Phone: +61 3 6226 7672
Fax: +61 3 6226 7587
Web page: http://www.utas.edu.au/business-and-economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glick, Reuven & Leduc, Sylvain, 2012.
"Central bank announcements of asset purchases and the impact on global financial and commodity markets,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2078-2101.
- Reuven Glick & Sylvain Leduc, 2011. "Central bank announcements of asset purchases and the impact on global financial and commodity markets," Working Paper Series 2011-30, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- A. Anzuini & M. J. Lombardi & P. Pagano, 2013. "The Impact of Monetary Policy Shocks on Commodity Prices," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 9(3), pages 125-150, September.
- Anzuini, Alessio & Lombardi, Marco J. & Pagano, Patrizio, 2010. "The impact of monetary policy shocks on commodity prices," Working Paper Series 1232, European Central Bank.
- Alessio Anzuini & Marco J. Lombardi & Patrizio Pagano, 2012. "The impact of monetary policy shocks on commodity prices," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 851, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Alquist, Ron & Kilian, Lutz & Vigfusson, Robert J., 2013. "Forecasting the Price of Oil," Handbook of Economic Forecasting, Elsevier.
- Ron Alquist & Lutz Kilian & Robert J. Vigfusson, 2011. "Forecasting the Price of Oil," Staff Working Papers 11-15, Bank of Canada.
- Ron Alquist & Lutz Kilian & Robert J. Vigfusson, 2011. "Forecasting the price of oil," International Finance Discussion Papers 1022, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Alquist, Ron & Kilian, Lutz & Vigfusson, Robert J., 2011. "Forecasting the Price of Oil," CEPR Discussion Papers 8388, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James D. Hamilton, 2011. "Historical Oil Shocks," NBER Working Papers 16790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Belke, Ansgar & Orth, Walter & Setzer, Ralph, 2010. "Liquidity and the dynamic pattern of asset price adjustment: A global view," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1933-1945, August.
- Ansgar Belke & Walter Orth & Ralph Setzer, 2009. "Liquidity and the Dynamic Pattern of Asset Price Adjustment: A Global View," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 933, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Lutz Kilian, 2009. "Not All Oil Price Shocks Are Alike: Disentangling Demand and Supply Shocks in the Crude Oil Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(3), pages 1053-1069, June.
- Kilian, Lutz, 2006. "Not All Oil Price Shocks Are Alike: Disentangling Demand and Supply Shocks in the Crude Oil Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 5994, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert B. Barsky & Lutz Kilian, 2002. "Do We Really Know that Oil Caused the Great Stagflation? A Monetary Alternative," NBER Chapters,in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2001, Volume 16, pages 137-198 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert B. Barsky & Lutz Kilian, 2001. "Do We Really Know that Oil Caused the Great Stagflation? A Monetary Alternative," NBER Working Papers 8389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gillman, Max & Nakov, Anton, 2009. "Monetary effects on nominal oil prices," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 239-254, December.
- Gillman, Max & Nakov, Anton, 2008. "Monetary Effects on Nominal Oil Prices," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2008/15, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section, revised Nov 2009.
- Max Gillman & Anton Nakov, 2009. "Monetary effects on nominal oil prices," Working Papers 0928, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tas:wpaper:16298. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitali Alexeev)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.