Everyone's A Winner? Union Effects on Persistence in Private Sector Wage Settlements: Longitudinal Evidence from Britain
Against a background of increased decentralisation in the structure of wage decision making, we analyse the effects of unions on the dispersion and persistence of pay settlements over the medium term using a longitudinal data set covering British private sector establishments over the period 1987-2001. It seems that the union effect of a reduction in wage dispersion in pay levels observed in earlier studies is repeated when we follow wage changes (settlements) over the medium term. Declining union presence seems therefore to account for some of the increase in longer-term wage dispersion over the sample period. The increase in aggregate wage settlement dispersion seems to have been accompanied by an increase in the permanent rather than transitory components of the variance and this stems mostly from the non-union sector.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (01483) 259380
Fax: (01483) 259548
Web page: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Satya Chakravarty, 2001. "The Variance as a subgroup decomposable measure of inequality," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 53(1), pages 79-95, January.
- Bell, B. & Pitt, M.K., 1995.
"Trade Union Decline and the Distribution of Wages in the UK: Evidence from Kernel Density Estimation,"
107, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Bell, Brian D & Pitt, Michael K, 1998. "Trade Union Decline and the Distribution of Wages in the UK: Evidence from Kernel Density Estimation," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 60(4), pages 509-28, November.
- David Card, 1992. "The Effect of Unions on the Distribution of Wages: Redistribution or Relabelling?," NBER Working Papers 4195, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Marshall & Antonio Merlo, 1996.
220, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Baker, Michael, 1997. "Growth-Rate Heterogeneity and the Covariance Structure of Life-Cycle Earnings," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(2), pages 338-75, April.
- D. Brown & P. Ingram & Jonathan Wadsworth, 1997.
"The price is right: inflation and nominal wage adjustment in Britain,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20358, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- D Brown & P Ingram & Jonathan Wadsworth, 1997. "The Price is Right: Inflation and Nominal Wage Adjustment in Britain," CEP Discussion Papers dp0326, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, March.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, March.
- David G. Blanchflower & Alex Bryson, 2004.
"The union wage premium in the US and the UK,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
19987, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Blau, Francine D. & Kahn, Lawrence M., 1999. "Institutions and laws in the labor market," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 25, pages 1399-1461 Elsevier.
- Abowd, John M & Card, David, 1989.
"On the Covariance Structure of Earnings and Hours Changes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 411-45, March.
- John M. Abowd & David Card, 1986. "On the Covariance Structure of Earnings and Hours Changes," NBER Working Papers 1832, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Gottschalk & Robert Moffitt, 1994. "The Growth of Earnings Instability in the U.S. Labor Market," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 25(2), pages 217-272.
- John W. Budd, 1992. "The determinants and extent of UAW pattern bargaining," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 45(3), pages 523-539, April.
- Dickens, Richard, 2000. "The Evolution of Individual Male Earnings in Great Britain: 1975-95," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 27-49, January.
- Andrews, Martyn J & Bell, David N F & Upward, Richard, 1998. "Union Coverage Differentials. Some Estimates for Britain Using the New Earnings Survey Panel Dataset," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 60(1), pages 47-77, February.
- Lemieux, Thomas, 1998. "Estimating the Effects of Unions on Wage Inequality in a Panel Data Model with Comparative Advantage and Nonrandom Selection," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(2), pages 261-91, April.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Bourguignon, F. & Morrisson, C., 1988. "Earnings mobility," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 619-632, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sur:surrec:1104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alex Mandilaras)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.