Carry Trade and Exchange Rate Regimes
Carry trade activities and foreign participation in local currency bonds in emerging countries have increased dramatically during the last decade. In line with this observation, we revisit the question of optimal exchange rate regime when developing countries can borrow internationally with local currency denominated debt. We obtain that a “pseudo flexible regime”, in which the country accumulates reserves in conjunction with debt, is the best policy alternative under real external shocks.
|Date of creation:||05 Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: (011) 818-5811|
Web page: http://www.portalfea.fea.usp.br/economia/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabio Kanczuk, 2004. "Real Interest Rates and Brazilian Business Cycles," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(2), pages 436-455, April.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011.
"The Forgotten History of Domestic Debt,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(552), pages 319-350, 05.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2008. "The Forgotten History of Domestic Debt," NBER Working Papers 13946, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2008. "The Next (but not new) Frontier for Sovereign Default," MPRA Paper 11865, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Amartya Lahiri & Rajesh Singh & Carlos A. Vegh, 2007.
"Segmented Asset Markets and Optimal Exchange Rate Regimes,"
NBER Working Papers
13154, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lahiri, Amartya & Singh, Rajesh & Vegh, Carlos, 2007. "Segmented asset markets and optimal exchange rate regimes," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 1-21, May.
- Singh, Rajesh & Lahiri, Amartya & Vegh, Carlos A, 2007. "Segmented Asset Markets and Optimal Exchange Rate Regimes," Staff General Research Papers 11446, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2002.
"Fear of floating,"
14000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Laura Alfaro & Fabio Kanczuk, 2007.
"Optimal Reserve Management and Sovereign Debt,"
NBER Working Papers
13216, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luis Felipe Céspedes & Roberto Chang & Andrés Velasco, 2004.
"Balance Sheets and Exchange Rate Policy,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(4), pages 1183-1193, September.
- Alfaro, Laura & Kanczuk, Fabio, 2010.
"Nominal versus indexed debt: A quantitative horse race,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1706-1726, December.
- Laura Alfaro & Fabio Kanczuk, 2007. "Nominal versus Indexed Debt: A Quantitative Horse Race," NBER Working Papers 13131, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spa:wpaper:2012wpecon05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pedro Garcia Duarte)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.