Effects of Ownership and Market Share on Performance of Mobile Operators in MENA Region
The process of telecommunication liberalization and increased competition evolves fast and as a result the market competition and the structure of mobile industry changes heterogeneously across the Middle East and North African (MENA) countries. This study attempts to analyze the effects of foreign ownership and the market share on the traffic and financial performance of mobile operators in MENA region. To achieve these objectives, we analyze the mobile industry¡¯s performances using an unbalanced panel data of 13 mobile operators observed over the period from 2002 to 2007. The empirical results showed that both foreign ownership and a higher market share have a significant positive impact on traffic, revenues, returns on sales and returns on investment of mobile operators in the MENA region.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2009|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 599 Gwanak-Ro, Gwanak-Gu, Seoul 151-744|
Web page: http://temep.snu.ac.kr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Al-mutawkkil, Adnan & Heshmati, Almas & Hwang, Junseok, 0. "Development of telecommunication and broadcasting infrastructure indices at the global level," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 176-199, April.
- Chengqi Wang & Pamela Siler & Xiaming Liu, 2002. "The relative economic performance of foreign subsidiaries in UK manufacturing," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(15), pages 1885-1892.
- Deardorff, Alan V, 2001.
"International Provision of Trade Services, Trade, and Fragmentation,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 233-248, May.
- Deardorff, A.V., 2000. "International Provision of Trade Services, Trade, and Fragmentation," Working Papers 463, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 2001. "International provision of trade services, trade, and fragmentation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2548, The World Bank.
- Ying Ge & Yasheng Chen, 2008. "Foreign Ownership and Productivity of Joint Ventures," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 895-920.
- Li, Xiaoying & Liu, Xiaming, 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: An Increasingly Endogenous Relationship," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 393-407, March.
- Markell, Stephen J. & Neeley, Sue E. & Strickland, Thomas H., 1988. "Explaining profitability: Dispelling the market share fog," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 189-196, May.
- Newfarmer, Richard S. & Marsh, Lawrence C., 1981. "Foreign ownership, market structure and industrial performance : Brazil's electrical industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 47-75, February.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki, 1994. "Stochastic frontier production analysis: Measuring performance of public telecommunications in 24 OECD countries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 466-478, May.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005. "Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 31-53, January.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004. "Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki, 1998. "Privatization of nippon telegraph and telephone: Was it a good policy decision?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 45-61, May.
- Feeny, Simon & Rogers, Mark, 2000. "The Role of Market Share and Concentration in Firm Profitability: Implications for Competition Policy," Economic Analysis and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 115-132, September.
- Nakil Sung, 2007. "Information technology, efficiency and productivity: evidence from Korean local governments," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(13), pages 1691-1703.
- Kasuga, Norihiro & Shishikura, Manabu, 2006. "Determinants of profit in the broadcasting industry: Evidence from Japanese micro data," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 216-228, June.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2000. "Productivity Growth, Efficiency and Outsourcing in Manufacturing and Service Industries," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 394, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 18 Oct 2001.
- George C. Bitros, 2003. "Firm Ownership and Economic Efficiency," Microeconomics 0303002, EconWPA.
- Chhibber, Pradeep K & Majumdar, Sumit K, 1999. "Foreign Ownership and Profitability: Property Rights, Control, and the Performance of Firms in Indian Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(1), pages 209-238, April.
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Chang, Hsi-hui & Majumdar, Sumit K., 1995. "The consequences of evolving competition on the components of firms' profits: Recent evidence from the U.S. telecommunications industry," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 37-56, April.
- Ros, Agustin J, 1999. "Does Ownership or Competition Matter? The Effects of Telecommunications Reform on Network Expansion and Efficiency," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 65-92, January.
- Sarkar, Jayati & Sarkar, Subrata & Bhaumik, Sumon K., 1998. "Does Ownership Always Matter?--Evidence from the Indian Banking Industry," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 262-281, June.
- Willmore, Larry N., 1986. "The comparative performance of foreign and domestic firms in Brazil," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 489-502, April.
- Ilko Naaborg & Robert Lensink, 2008. "Banking in transition economies: does foreign ownership enhance profitability?," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(7), pages 545-562.
- Sophia Dimelis & Helen Louri, 2002. "Foreign ownership and production efficiency: a quantile regression analysis," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(3), pages 449-469, July.
- Oetzel, Jennifer M. & Banerjee, Sudeshna Ghosh, 2008. "A case of the tortoise versus the hare? Deregulation process, timing, and firm performance in emerging markets," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 54-77, February.
- Claessens, Stijn & Demirguc-Kunt, Asl[iota] & Huizinga, Harry, 2001. "How does foreign entry affect domestic banking markets?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 891-911, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:snv:dp2009:200921. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jorn Altmann)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.