The Turkish Banking Sector Before and After the Global Crisis:An Ownership Breakdown
[EN] Using bank-level data and random effects model, this paper examines the structure of the Turkish banking sector before and after the global crisis by an ownership breakdown. The selected dependent variables are financial ratios on capital adequacy, asset quality, profitability and income-expenditure structure; while main determinants are overdue loans, overhead costs, consumer loans, government securities, FX open position, bank size and a dummy variable for bank listing. Other determinants include a dummy variable for the adoption of Basel II standards, debt stock, growth, inflation, exchange rate, required reserves and policy rate, which capture the effects of regulations, fiscal policy, macroeconomic conditions and monetary policy on bank structure. Estimation results suggest that ownership plays a key role on the changing structure of Turkish banks, which can be explained by bank-specific determinants as well as macroeconomic conditions and policy-related factors. The results also reveal that banks seem to differ more before the crisis than after the crisis. These findings indicate that bank ownership should be considered as an important variable that is likely to affect the conduct of macro prudential policy and the effectiveness of the monetary policy transmission. [TR] Bu calismada, banka bazinda veri ve rassal etkiler modeli kullanilarak, Turk bankacilik sektorunun kuresel kriz oncesi ve sonrasindaki yapisi mulkiyet ayriminda incelenmektedir. Bagimli degisken olarak sermaye yeterliligi, aktif kalitesi, karlilik ve gelir-gider yapisina iliskin finansal oranlar kullanilirken; bagimsiz degiskenler olarak takipteki krediler, personel giderleri, tuketici kredileri, DIBS portfoyu, doviz acik pozisyonu ve banka buyuklugu ile borsada listelenise yonelik kukla degisken yer almaktadir. Yasal duzenlemeler, maliye politikasi, makroekonomik kosullar ve para politikasinin banka yapisi uzerindeki etkilerini incelemek amaciyla Basel II’ye gecise iliskin kukla degiskenin yani sýra borc stoku, buyume, enflasyon, doviz kuru, zorunlu karsiliklar ve politika faizi diger belirleyiciler olarak calismaya dahil edilmistir. Tahmin sonuclari, banka mulkiyetinin Turk bankacilik sektorunun degisen yapisinda onemli rol oynadigina ve soz konusu degisimin bankaya ozgu belirleyicilere ek olarak makroekonomik kosullar ve politikaya iliskin etkenlerle aciklanabildigine isaret etmektedir. Ayrica, sonuclar bankalarin kriz oncesi donemde kriz sonrasi doneme gore daha cok ayristigina dikkat cekmektedir. Bu bulgular, banka mulkiyetinin makro ihtiyati politikanin yurutulmesini ve parasal aktarim mekanizmasinin etkinligini belirleyen onemli bir degisken olarak ele alinmasi gerektigini gostermektedir.
|Date of creation:||2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Head Office, Istiklal Cad. 10 Ulus, 06100 Ankara|
Phone: (90 312) 507 5000
Fax: (90 312) 507 5640
Web page: http://www.tcmb.gov.tr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1900, The World Bank.
- Robert Lensink & Ilko Naaborg, 2007. "Does foreign ownership foster bank performance?," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(11), pages 881-885.
- Robert Lensink & Ilko Naaborg, "undated". "Does foreign ownership Foster bank performance," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14287, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- B. Gerard Dages & Linda S. Goldberg & Daniel Kinney, 2000. "Foreign and domestic bank participation in emerging markets: lessons from Mexico and Argentina," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sep, pages 17-36.
- Linda Goldberg & B. Gerard Dages & Daniel Kinney, 2000. "Foreign and Domestic Bank Participation in Emerging Markets: Lessons from Mexico and Argentina," NBER Working Papers 7714, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ewa M. Nikiel & Timothy P. Opiela, 2002. "Customer Type And Bank Efficiency In Poland: Implications For Emerging Market Banking," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 20(3), pages 255-271, 07.
- Rivard, Richard J. & Thomas, Christopher R., 1997. "The effect of interstate banking on large bank holding company profitability and risk," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 61-76, February.
- Erdem Başçı & Hakan Kara, 2011. "Finansal istikrar ve para politikası," Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 26(302), pages 9-25.
- Micco, Alejandro & Panizza, Ugo & Yanez, Monica, 2007. "Bank ownership and performance. Does politics matter?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 219-241, January.
- Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza & Monica Yañez, 2005. "Bank Ownership and Performance Does Politics Matter?," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 356, Central Bank of Chile.
- Micco, Alejandro & Panizza, Ugo & YaÃƒÂƒÃ‚Â±ez, Monica, 2006. "Bank Ownership and Performance Does Politics Matter?," POLIS Working Papers 62, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Pettway, Richard H & Sinkey, Joseph F, Jr, 1980. " Establishing On-Site Bank Examination Priorities: An Early-Warning System Using Accounting and Market Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(1), pages 137-150, March.
- David A Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2006. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Association for Comparative Economic Studies, vol. 48(3), pages 497-522, September.
- David A. Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2002. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition; An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," IMF Working Papers 02/146, International Monetary Fund.
- Grigorian, David A. & Manole, Vlad, 2002. "Determinants of commercial bank performance in transition - an application of data envelopment analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2850, The World Bank.
- Aytul Ganioglu & Vuslat Us, 2014. "The Structure of the Turkish Banking Sector Before and After the Global Crisis," Working Papers 1429, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005. "Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 31-53, January.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004. "Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Marton, Katherin, 2003. "Development and efficiency of the banking sector in a transitional economy: Hungarian experience," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2249-2271, December.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Marton, Katherin, 2000. "Development and efficiency of the banking sector in a transitional economy : Hungarian experience," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2000, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001. "Applications of Generalized Method of Moments Estimation," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 87-100, Fall.
- Unite, Angelo A. & Sullivan, Michael J., 2003. "The effect of foreign entry and ownership structure on the Philippine domestic banking market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2323-2345, December.
- Ahn, Seung Chan & Hoon Lee, Young & Schmidt, Peter, 2001. "GMM estimation of linear panel data models with time-varying individual effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 219-255, April.
- Claessens, Stijn & Demirguc-Kunt, Asl[iota] & Huizinga, Harry, 2001. "How does foreign entry affect domestic banking markets?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 891-911, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcb:econot:1502. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.