On (not) Closing the Gaps: The Evolution of National and Regional Unemployment Rates by Race and Ethnicity
This paper conducts stationarity tests for levels and ratios of national and regional unemployment rates by race and ethnicity. Results indicate that both unemployment rates and ratios for the total population and for subgroups by race, ethnicity and region are stationary around changing means. The Black/White unemployment ratio has increased on average and the Hispanic/White unemployment ratio has decreased on average. Results are compared across regions of the US.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P O Box 2118, Huntsville, TX 77341-2118|
Web page: http://www.shsu.edu/~eco_www/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cheng, Ka Ming & Durmaz, Nazif & Kim, Hyeongwoo & Stern, Michael L., 2012.
"Hysteresis vs. natural rate of US unemployment,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 428-434.
- Ka Ming Cheng & Nazif Durmaz & Hyeongwoo Kim & Michael Stern, 2011. "Hysteresis vs. Natural Rate of US Unemployment," Auburn Economics Working Paper Series auwp2011-01, Department of Economics, Auburn University.
- Kenneth Couch & Robert Fairlie, 2010. "Last hired, first fired? black-white unemployment and the business cycle," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 47(1), pages 227-247, February.
- Kenneth A. Couch & Robert Fairlie, 2005. "Last Hired, First Fired? Black-White Unemployment and the Business Cycle," Working papers 2005-50, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Couch, Kenneth A. & Fairlie, Robert W., 2008. "Last Hired, First Fired? Black-White Unemployment and the Business Cycle," IZA Discussion Papers 3713, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Vasudeva Murthy, 2002. "Macroeconomy and the well-being of low income African American families," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 26(3), pages 327-333, September.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-856, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Richard B. Freeman, 1973. "Changes in the Labor Market for Black Americans, 1948-72," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 4(1), pages 67-132.
- Joseph A Ritter & Lowell J Taylor, 2011. "Racial Disparity in Unemployment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 93(1), pages 30-42, February.
- Freeman, Donald G, 2001. "Panel Tests of Okun's Law for Ten Industrial Countries," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 39(4), pages 511-523, October.
- Blanchard, Olivier J. & Summers, Lawrence H., 1987. "Hysteresis in unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 288-295.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1986. "Hysteresis and Unemployment," Working papers 430, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986. "Hysteresis in Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 2035, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Betsey, Charles L, 1978. "Differences in Unemployment Experience between Blacks and Whites," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 192-197, May.
- Frank Levy, 1980. "Changes in Employment Prospects for Black Males," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 11(2), pages 513-538.
- Diego Romero-Ávila & Carlos Usabiaga, 2009. "The Unemployment Paradigms Revisited: A Comparative Analysis Of U.S. State And European Unemployment," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 27(3), pages 321-334, 07.
- Leslie S. Stratton, 1993. "Racial Differences in Men's Unemployment," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 46(3), pages 451-463, April.
- Roed, Knut, 1996. "Unemployment Hysteresis--Macro Evidence from 16 OECD Countries," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 589-600.
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
- Abowd, John M & Killingsworth, Mark R, 1984. "Do Minority-White Unemployment Differences Really Exist?," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(1), pages 64-72, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:shs:wpaper:1101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Raschke)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.