The Simple Economics of Thresholds: Grades as Incentives
This paper examines how grade incentives affect student learning across a variety of courses at two universities, using for identification the discrete rewards offered by the standard A-F letter grade system. We develop five predictions about effort provision in the presence of the thresholds that separate these discrete rewards, only one of which has been previously tested in the economics literature generally. Surprisingly, all are rejected in our data. Either these grade incentives do not influence student effort appreciably on the margin, or the additional effort is ineffective.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P O Box 2118, Huntsville, TX 77341-2118|
Web page: http://www.shsu.edu/~eco_www/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Darren Grant, 2010.
"Dead On Arrival: Zero Tolerance Laws Don'T Work,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 48(3), pages 756-770, 07.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Prashant Bharadwaj & Fabian Lange, 2012.
"Changes in the Characteristics of American Youth: Implications for Adult Outcomes,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(4), pages 783 - 828.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Prashant Bharadwaj & Fabian Lange, 2008. "Changes in the Characteristics of American Youth: Implications for Adult Outcomes," NBER Working Papers 13883, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Courty, Pascal & Marschke, Gerald, 2002.
"An Empirical Investigation of Gaming Responses to Explicit Performance Incentives,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3164, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pascal Courty & Gerald Marschke, 2004. "An Empirical Investigation of Gaming Responses to Explicit Performance Incentives," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(1), pages 23-56, January.
- Gerald Marschke & Pascal Courty, 2002. "An Empirical Investigation of Gaming Responses to Explicit Performance Incentives," Discussion Papers 02-06, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Todd R. Stinebrickner & Ralph Stinebrickner, 2007.
"The Causal Effect of Studying on Academic Performance,"
University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP) Working Papers
20072, University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP).
- Stinebrickner Ralph & Stinebrickner Todd R., 2008. "The Causal Effect of Studying on Academic Performance," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-55, June.
- Todd R. Stinebrickner & Ralph Stinebrickner, 2007. "The Causal Effect of Studying on Academic Performance," NBER Working Papers 13341, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reback, Randall, 2008.
"Teaching to the rating: School accountability and the distribution of student achievement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(5-6), pages 1394-1415, June.
- Randall Reback, 2006. "Teaching to the Rating: School Accountability and the Distribution of Student Achievement," Working Papers 0602, Barnard College, Department of Economics.
- Richard Borghesi, 2008. "Widespread Corruption in Sports Gambling: Fact Or Fiction," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 74(4), pages 1063-1069, April.
- Muradian, Roldan, 2001. "Ecological thresholds: a survey," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 7-24, July.
- Gerald S. Oettinger, 2002. "The Effect Of Nonlinear Incentives On Performance: Evidence From "Econ 101"," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 509-517, August.
- Charles Perrings & David Pearce, 1994. "Threshold effects and incentives for the conservation of biodiversity," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 4(1), pages 13-28, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:shs:wpaper:0901. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Raschke)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.