A two-tier or multi-tier Europe?: Assessing the Innovation capacities of Central and East European Countries in the Enlarged EU
This paper assesses the innovation capacities of the central and east European (CEE) candidate countries and the countries of the EU using a set of 25 indicators organized within the national innovation capacity (NIC) framework. Based on regression and cluster analysis the paper shows that NIC in the enlarged EU does not follow a simple â€˜East â€“ Westâ€™ divide. The wider Europe is structured into three groups of countries and CEE countries are fall into two, the less developed and medium developed EU, groups. NICs in the enlarged EU are assessed across four dimensions of capacity: absorptive, R&D, diffusion and demand. In each of these dimensions we observe a two- or three-tiering of countries, which goes beyond a simple â€˜Eastâ€™ â€“ â€˜ Westâ€™ pattern. The results of this assessment have important implications for candidate countries as well as for the EU policy towards structural assistance.
|Date of creation:||May 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT|
Phone: +44-20-7679 8519
Fax: +44-20-7679 8777
Web page: http://www.ssees.ucl.ac.uk/cce.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wendy Carlin & Steven Fries & Mark Schaffer & Paul Seabright, 2001. "Competition and Enterprise Performance in Transition Economies from a Cross-Country Survey," CERT Discussion Papers 0101, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Clifford Zinnes & Yair Eilat & Jeffrey Sachs, 2001. "Benchmarking competitiveness in transition economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 9(2), pages 315-353, July.
- International Monetary Fund, 2000. "The Great Contractions in Russia, the Baltics and the Other Countries of the Former Soviet Union; A View From the Supply Side," IMF Working Papers 00/32, .
- Ginarte, Juan C. & Park, Walter G., 1997. "Determinants of patent rights: A cross-national study," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 283-301, October.
- Campos, Nauro F & Coricelli, Fabrizio, 2002.
"Growth in Transition: What we Know, What we Don't and What we Should,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3246, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nauro F. Campos & Fabrizio Coricelli, 2002. "Growth in Transition: What We Know, What We Don't, and What We Should," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 470, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- William Easterly, 2002. "The Elusive Quest for Growth: Economists' Adventures and Misadventures in the Tropics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262550423.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Levinthal, Daniel A, 1989. "Innovation and Learning: The Two Faces of R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 569-596, September.
- Johannes Stephan, 2004. "The Productivity Gap between East and West Europe: What Role for Sectoral Structures during Integration?," Development and Comp Systems 0403004, EconWPA.
- Carlin, Wendy & Fries, Steven & Schaffer, Mark E & Seabright, Paul, 2001. "Competition and Enterprise Performance in Transition Economies: Evidence from a Cross-country Survey," CEPR Discussion Papers 2840, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wendy Carlin & Steven Fries & Mark Schaffer & Paul Seabright, 2001. "Competition and Enterprise Performance in Transition Economies: Evidence from a Cross-country Survey," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 376, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Radosevic, Slavo & Auriol, Laudeline, 1999. "Patterns of restructuring in research, development and innovation activities in central and eastern European countries: an analysis based on S&T indicators1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 351-376, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)