Parallel Computing: Technological Changes and Organizational Redesign
Taking into account the very limited ability of individuals to handle and process information (for given information-processing technology), some economists argue that the sequential regime of data processing has been replaced by parallel methods (in economic jargon: hiererchical or decentralized computations (see, e.g., Radner (1993)) in order to respond to the growing problem of handling an increasing flow of information (Chandler, 1966, or Bolton and Dewatripont, 1994). Not surprisingly, therefore, organizational changes in data-processing systems (i.e., reduction of parallel computational structures) observed in the last decade (see, e.g., Business Week, 1989) are usually explained by the improvement in information-processing technology (Schein, 1989, Kennedy, 1994). However, research to date has not provided an adequate economic explanation of the conditions under which improvements in information-processing technology reduce the degree of parallelization of computational processes (i.e., the size of decentralized computational structures). Thus, the subject of the present paper is an examination of the conditions that have to be satisfied for the organizational restructuring of the structures used for parallel computing in response to changes in information- precessing technology.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Econometrics, University of Geneva, 102 Bd Carl-Vogt, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland|
Web page: http://www.unige.ch/ce/ce96/welcome.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1992:i:25-26:p:13 is not listed on IDEAS
- Patrick Bolton & Mathias Dewatripont, 1994. "The Firm as a Communication Network," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(4), pages 809-839.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1990. "The Economics of Modern Manufacturing: Technology, Strategy, and Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 511-528, June.
- Radner, Roy, 1993. "The Organization of Decentralized Information Processing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(5), pages 1109-1146, September.
- Kennedy, Peter W., 1994. "Information processing and organization design," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 37-51, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sce:scecf6:_014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.