How to engage consumers in demand response: a contract perspective
Nowadays, the European electricity systems are evolving towards a generation mix that is more decentralised, less predictable and less flexible to operate. In this context, additional flexibility is expected to be provided by the demand side. Thus, how to engage consumers to participate in demand response is becoming a pressing issue. In this paper, we provide an analytical framework to assess consumers’ potential and willingness to participate in active demand response from a contract perspective. On that basis, we present policy recommendations to empower and protect consumers in their shift to active demand response participants.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Convento, Via delle Fontanelle, 19, 50014 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy|
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/RSCAS/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moura, Pedro S. & de Almeida, Aníbal T., 2010. "Multi-objective optimization of a mixed renewable system with demand-side management," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 1461-1468, June.
- Meeus, Leonardo & Saguan, Marcelo, 2011. "Innovating grid regulation to regulate grid innovation: From the Orkney Isles to Kriegers Flak via Italy," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1761-1765.
- Hopper, Nicole & Goldman, Charles & Bharvirkar, Ranjit & Neenan, Bernie, 2006. "Customer response to day-ahead market hourly pricing: Choices and performance," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 126-134, June.
- Stadler, Ingo, 2008. "Power grid balancing of energy systems with high renewable energy penetration by demand response," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 90-98, June.
- Cappers, Peter & Mills, Andrew & Goldman, Charles & Wiser, Ryan & Eto, Joseph H., 2012. "An assessment of the role mass market demand response could play in contributing to the management of variable generation integration issues," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 420-429.
- Allcott, Hunt, 2011. "Rethinking real-time electricity pricing," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 820-842.
- Luis Olmos & Sophia Ruester & Siok Jen Liong & Jean-Michel Glachant, 2010. "Energy Efficiency Actions Related to the Rollout of Smart Meters for Small Consumers," RSCAS Working Papers 2010/02fsr, European University Institute.
- Olmos, Luis & Ruester, Sophia & Liong, Siok-Jen & Glachant, Jean-Michel, 2011. "Energy efficiency actions related to the rollout of smart meters for small consumers, application to the Austrian system," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 4396-4409.
- Torriti, Jacopo, 2012. "Price-based demand side management: Assessing the impacts of time-of-use tariffs on residential electricity demand and peak shifting in Northern Italy," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 576-583.
- Delmas, Magali A. & Fischlein, Miriam & Asensio, Omar I., 2013. "Information strategies and energy conservation behavior: A meta-analysis of experimental studies from 1975 to 2012," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 729-739.
- Dütschke, Elisabeth & Paetz, Alexandra-Gwyn, 2013. "Dynamic electricity pricing—Which programs do consumers prefer?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 226-234.
- Dulleck, Uwe & Kaufmann, Sylvia, 2004. "Do customer information programs reduce household electricity demand?--the Irish program," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1025-1032, June.
- Vassileva, Iana & Wallin, Fredrik & Dahlquist, Erik, 2012. "Understanding energy consumption behavior for future demand response strategy development," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 94-100.
- Lijesen, Mark G., 2007. "The real-time price elasticity of electricity," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 249-258, March.
- Bradley, Peter & Leach, Matthew & Torriti, Jacopo, 2013. "A review of the costs and benefits of demand response for electricity in the UK," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 312-327.
- Lo Schiavo, Luca & Delfanti, Maurizio & Fumagalli, Elena & Olivieri, Valeria, 2013. "Changing the regulation for regulating the change: Innovation-driven regulatory developments for smart grids, smart metering and e-mobility in Italy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 506-517.
- Ivanov, Chris & Getachew, Lullit & Fenrick, Steve A. & Vittetoe, Bethany, 2013. "Enabling technologies and energy savings: The case of EnergyWise Smart Meter Pilot of Connexus Energy," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 76-84.
- Ahmad Faruqui & Sanem Sergici, 2010. "Household response to dynamic pricing of electricity: a survey of 15 experiments," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 193-225, October.
- Grünewald, Philipp & Torriti, Jacopo, 2013. "Demand response from the non-domestic sector: Early UK experiences and future opportunities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 423-429.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rsc:rsceui:2013/76. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RSCAS web unit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.