Business R&D, Innovation and Economic Growth: An Evidence-Based Synthesis of the Policy Issues
There is strong theoretical and empirical support linking business research and development, innovation and productivity growth at a national level. There is also strong evidence of spillovers from business R&D. The magnitude of these spillovers is economically significant and warrants subsidies. Evidence also suggests that a mix of discretionary and non-discretionary policies is likely to be required. New Zealand looks increasingly unusual in the OECD in terms of its sole reliance on discretionary grants for business R&D. This paper proposes implementing a well-designed non-discretionary R&D assistance scheme aimed at stimulating a sustained increase in levels of business R&D.
|Date of creation:||May 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +64-4-473 4638
Web page: http://www.med.govt.nz/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bougrain, Frederic & Haudeville, Bernard, 2002. "Innovation, collaboration and SMEs internal research capacities," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 735-747, July.
- Yonghong Wu & D. Popp & S. Bretschneider, 2007. "The Effects Of Innovation Policies On Business R&D: A Cross-National Empirical Study," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 237-253.
- Nicholas Bloom & Rachel Griffith & John Van Reenen, 2007.
"Do R&D Tax Credits Work? Evidence from a Panel of Countries 1979-1997,"
07-020, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Bloom, Nick & Griffith, Rachel & Van Reenen, John, 2002. "Do R&D tax credits work? Evidence from a panel of countries 1979-1997," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 1-31, July.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Dominique Guellec, 1999. "Does government support stimulates private R&D," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/6231, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"Interindustry Technology Flows and Productivity Growth: A Reexamination,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 241-250
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi & Lichtenberg, Frank, 1984. "Interindustry Technology Flows and Productivity Growth: A Re-examination," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(2), pages 324-29, May.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- Freeman, C., 1991. "Networks of innovators: A synthesis of research issues," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 499-514, October.
- Arora, Ashish & Gambardella, Alfonso, 1994. "Evaluating technological information and utilizing it : Scientific knowledge, technological capability, and external linkages in biotechnology," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 91-114, June.
- George Symeonidis, 1996. "Innovation, Firm Size and Market Structure: Schumpeterian Hypotheses and Some New Themes," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 161, OECD Publishing.
- Arora, Ashish & Gambardella, Alfonso, 1990. "Complementarity and External Linkages: The Strategies of the Large Firms in Biotechnology," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(4), pages 361-79, June.
- n/a, 1998. "Can real equilibrium models account for the fluctuations of the UK business cycle?," NIESR Discussion Papers 211, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Henri Capron, 1997. "Public support to business R&D: a survey and some new quantitative evidence," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/6283, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Crawford, Ron & Fabling, Richard & Grimes , Arthur & Bonner, Nick, 2004. "Determinants of National R&D and Patenting: Application to a Small, Distant Country," Occasional Papers 06/2, Ministry of Economic Development, New Zealand.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:nzmedo:2006_008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hilary Devine)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.