Using Fuzzy Real Options Valuation for Assessing Investments in NGCC and CCS Energy Conversion Technology
In this paper we study the relative advantage of investing in a natural gas combined-cycle (NGCC) power plant versus a coal-fired power plant with and without carbon capture and storage (CCS) technology. For the investment analysis under uncertainty, we apply fuzzy real options theory. Three different price scenarios for fuel input and CO2 emission permits are taken into consideration. For the assumptions made, we find evidence that the NGCC and (to a lesser degree) the conventional hard coal-fired power plant are the most cost-effective options, followed by the two CCS technologies ‘Oxyfuel’ and ‘Pre-combustion’. In contrast, due to high specific investment costs and significant losses in conversion efficiency, the third CCS option ‘Post-combustion’ remains uneconomical. The sensitivity analysis reveals that already at moderate cost reductions, ‘Pre-combustion’ and ‘Oxyfuel’ both become economically viable and, at sufficiently low CO2 permit prices or interest rates, even the preferred options.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||FCN Working Paper No. 3/2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eonerc.rwth-aachen.de/fcn|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scott Mathews & Vinay Datar & Blake Johnson, 2007. "A Practical Method for Valuing Real Options: The Boeing Approach," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 19(2), pages 95-104.
- Magni, C. A. & Mastroleo G. & Facchinetti, G., 2001.
"A Fuzzy expert system for solving ReaL-Option decision processes,"
Fuzzy Economic Review,
International Association for Fuzzy-set Management and Economy (SIGEF), vol. 0(2), pages 51-73, November.
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2009. "A fuzzy expert system for solving real-option decision processes," PROYECCIONES FINANCIERAS Y VALORACION 005677, MASTER CONSULTORES.
- Collan, Mikael, 2008. "New Method for Real Option Valuation Using Fuzzy Numbers," Working Papers 466, IAMSR, Åbo Akademi.
- Geoffrey Rothwell, 2006. "A Real Options Approach to Evaluating New Nuclear Power Plants," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 87-54.
- Collan, Mikael & Fullér, Robert & József, Mezei, 2008. "A Fuzzy Pay-off Method for Real Option Valuation," MPRA Paper 13601, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:fcnwpa:2009_003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hendrik Schmitz)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.