The Global Economic Recession and Industrial Structure: Evidence from Four Asian Dragons
The collapse of exports that has attended the current global economic recession threatens the export-led economic growth of the four Asian dragons. To better understand the economic performances and future prospects of the four dragons, this paper first examines the economic structural changes that have taken place in Hong Kong, China; the Republic of Korea; Singapore; and Taipei,China, as well as the gradual shifting of the sources of economic growth away from the manufacturing sector and toward the service sector. Following this, a panel data set for the four dragons for the period 1995–2008 is constructed and a fixed-effects model applied to the data.
|Date of creation:||25 Oct 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 3-2-5, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6008, Japan|
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jungsoo Park & Hang Ryu, 2006. "Accumulation, Technical Progress, and Increasing Returns in the Economic Growth of East Asia," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 243-255, 06.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Korhonen, Iikka, 2010.
"The impact of the global financial crisis on business cycles in Asian emerging economies,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 293-303, June.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Iikka Korhonen, 2009. "The Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on Business Cycles in Asian Emerging Economies," CESifo Working Paper Series 2710, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Korhonen, Iikka, 2009. "The impact of the global financial crisis on business cycles in Asian emerging economies," BOFIT Discussion Papers 11/2009, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Edvardsson, Bo, 1997. "Quality in new service development: Key concepts and a frame of reference," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 31-46, October.
- Khalid Yousif Khalafalla & Alan Webb, 2001. "Export-led growth and structural change: evidence from Malaysia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(13), pages 1703-1715.
- Ingo Borchert & Aaditya Mattoo, 2009. "The crisis-resilience of services trade," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(13), pages 2115-2136, August.
- Ingo Borchert & Aaditya Mattoo, 2009. "The Crisis Resilience of Services Trade," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11123, The World Bank.
- Borchert, Ingo & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2009. "The crisis-resilience of services trade," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4917, The World Bank.
- Bihong Huang, 2008. "International Dependency and Economic Fluctuations in East Asian NIEs," Global Economic Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(4), pages 497-506.
- Keith Brook, 2009. "Performance and employment characteristics of the UK service industries, 1990–2008," Economic & Labour Market Review, Palgrave Macmillan;Office for National Statistics, vol. 3(6), pages 39-50, June.
- J. Steven Landefeld & Eugene P. Seskin & Barbara M. Fraumeni, 2008. "Taking the Pulse of the Economy: Measuring GDP," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 22(2), pages 193-216, Spring.
- Johansson, Pontus & Olhager, Jan, 2004. "Industrial service profiling: Matching service offerings and processes," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 309-320, June.
- Mansell, Ken, 1996. "New Data and the Measurement of Output for the Service Sector in the United Kingdom," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 42(2), pages 225-232, June.
- Eloranta, Eero & Holmstrom, Jan, 1998. "Productivity reconsidered: Critical assessment of investments," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 133-144, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)