Zoning on the Urban Fringe: Results from a New Approach to Modeling Land and Housing Markets
This paper uses an economic agent-based model of land use in a hypothetical urban fringe community to examine the effects of large-lot zoning on land conversion, land prices, and the spatial configuration and density of new development. The model incorporates the actions of heterogeneous housing consumers, developers, and farmer/landowners who make economic decisions in land and housing markets. The model allows for population growth and simulates the evolution of land use patterns and prices over a 20-year time period. Zoning regulations in the form of minimum lot size restrictions imposed in an outlying area are shown to have effects that vary with the stringency of the regulations: 2-acre minimum lot sizes have little effect on the spatial patterns of development, but they do increase land and housing prices and result in higher incomes in the region; 5-acre minimum lot sizes push development toward the city center, leaving agricultural land in the zoned region undeveloped until quite late in the simulation period. While house prices are higher with 5-acre zoning, land prices in the zoned region fall, highlighting the countervailing influences of lot size restrictions on land prices. The new modeling approach allows for the tracking of the transitional dynamics of development, both over space and time as the urban area grows.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henry O. Pollakowski & Susan M. Wachter, 1990. "The Effects of Land-Use Constraints on Housing Prices," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 66(3), pages 315-324.
- Patrick J. Bayer & Christopher D. Timmins, 2004.
"Estimating Equilibrium Models of Sorting Across Locations,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm415, Yale School of Management.
- Patrick Bayer & Christopher Timmins, 2007. "Estimating Equilibrium Models Of Sorting Across Locations," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(518), pages 353-374, 03.
- Patrick Bayer & Christopher Timmins, 2003. "Estimating Equilibrium Models of Sorting across Locations," Working Papers 862, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Quigley, John M. & Rosenthal, Larry A., 2005. "The Effects of Land-Use Regulation on the Price of Housing: What Do We Know? What Can We Learn?," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt90m9g90w, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- J. Michael Pogodzinski & Tim R. Sass, 1990. "The Economic Theory of Zoning: A Critical Review," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 66(3), pages 294-314.
- Lichtenberg, Erik & Tra, Constant & Hardie, Ian, 2007. "Land use regulation and the provision of open space in suburban residential subdivisions," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 199-213, September.
- Marcy Burchfield & Henry G. Overman & Diego Puga & Matthew A. Turner, 2006.
"Causes of Sprawl: A Portrait from Space,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 121(2), pages 587-633, May.
- Daniel P. McMillen, 1989. "An Empirical Model of Urban Fringe Land Use," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 65(2), pages 138-145.
- Rob Axtell, 1999.
"The Complexity of Exchange,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1999
211, Society for Computational Economics.
- Walls, Margaret & McConnell, Virginia & Kopits, Elizabeth, 2005.
"Zoning, TDRs, and the Density of Development,"
dp-05-32, Resources For the Future.
- Pines, David & Sadka, Efraim, 1986. "Comparative statics analysis of a fully closed city," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-20, July.
- Maurice Dalton & Jeffrey Zabel, 2009.
"The Impact of Minimum Lot Size Regulations on House Prices in Eastern Massachusetts,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0732, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Zabel, Jeffrey & Dalton, Maurice, 2011. "The impact of minimum lot size regulations on house prices in Eastern Massachusetts," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 571-583.
- Pasha, Hafiz A., 1996. "Suburban Minimum Lot Zoning and Spatial Equilibrium," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-12, July.
- O'Sullivan, Arthur, 2009. "Schelling's model revisited: Residential sorting with competitive bidding for land," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 397-408, July.
- McMillen, Daniel P. & McDonald, John F., 1991. "Urban land value functions with endogenous zoning," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 14-27, January.
- Arthur, W. Brian, 2006. "Out-of-Equilibrium Economics and Agent-Based Modeling," Handbook of Computational Economics, in: Leigh Tesfatsion & Kenneth L. Judd (ed.), Handbook of Computational Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 32, pages 1551-1564 Elsevier.
- Elena G. Irwin, 2010. "New Directions For Urban Economic Models Of Land Use Change: Incorporating Spatial Dynamics And Heterogeneity," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 65-91.
- Glaeser, Edward L. & Ward, Bryce A., 2009. "The causes and consequences of land use regulation: Evidence from Greater Boston," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 265-278, May.
- Quigley, John M. & Raphael, Steven, 2004.
"Is Housing Unaffordable? Why Isn't It More Affordable?,"
Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series
qt1vp9j3k0, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- John M. Quigley & Steven Raphael, 2004. "Is Housing Unaffordable? Why Isn't It More Affordable?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(1), pages 191-214, Winter.
- Tatiana Filatova & Dawn C. Parker & Anne van der Veen, 2009. "Agent-Based Urban Land Markets: Agent\'s Pricing Behavior, Land Prices and Urban Land Use Change," Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, vol. 12(1), pages 3.
- Paul D. Gottlieb & Adesoji Adelaja, 2009. "The impact of down-zoning on land values: A theoretical approach," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 69(2), pages 206-227, July.
- Dennis Epple & Holger Sieg, 1999. "Estimating Equilibrium Models of Local Jurisdictions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(4), pages 645-681, August.
- Crone, Theodore M., 1983. "Elements of an economic justification for municipal zoning," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 168-183, September.
- Safirova, Elena A. & Houde, Sébastien & Lipman, D. Abram & Harrington, Winston & Bagliano, Andrew D., 2006. "Congestion Pricing: Long-Term Economic and Land-Use Effects," Discussion Papers dp-06-37, Resources For the Future.
- Daniel P. McMillen & John F. McDonald, 2002. "Land Values In A Newly Zoned City," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 62-72, February.
- Edwin S. Mills, 2005. "Why Do We Have Urban Density Controls?," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 33(3), pages 571-585, 09.
- Moss, William G., 1977. "Large lot zoning, property taxes, and metropolitan area," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 408-427, October.
- Chen, Yong & Irwin, Elena G. & Jayaprakash, Ciriyam, 2011. "Incorporating Spatial Complexity into Economic Models of Land Markets and Land Use Change," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 40(3), December.
- White, Michelle J., 1975. "The effect of zoning on the size of metropolitan areas," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 279-290, October.
- Nicolai V. Kuminoff & V. Kerry Smith & Christopher Timmins, 2010. "The New Economics of Equilibrium Sorting and its Transformational Role for Policy Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 16349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko, 2003. "The impact of building restrictions on housing affordability," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jun, pages 21-39.
- Calabrese, Stephen & Epple, Dennis & Romano, Richard, 2007. "On the political economy of zoning," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(1-2), pages 25-49, February.
- Xiangping Liu & Lori Lynch, 2010. "Do Zoning Regulations Rob Rural Landowners' Equity?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(1), pages 1-25.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rff:dpaper:dp-11-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.