Productivity and Misallocation During a Crisis
Measured total factor productivity often declines sharply during financial crises. In 1982, the Chilean manufacturing sector suffered a severe contraction in output, most of which can be accounted for a falling Solow residual. Using establishment data from the Chilean manufacturing census, I assess the contribution of misallocation to the drop in output. Using several measures, I find that the cross-sectional allocation of resources deteriorated during the crisis. To quantify the impact of this misallocation on aggregate measured TFP I develop a decomposition along the lines of Hsieh and Klenow (2009). The analysis allows for specifications that span two extremes: (i) all plants have identical factor intensities (ii) plants differ in factor intensities within each sector. While this raises difficult aggregation issues, I show the connection between changes in the extent of misallocation and changes in an aggregate Solow residual. Although the preliminary results are sensitive to the exact empirical specification, I find that increased misallocation had a substantial impact on aggregate total factor productivity during the crisis.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Basu, Susanto & Pascali, Luigi & Schiantarelli, Fabio & Serven, Luis, 2009.
"Productivity, Welfare and Reallocation: Theory and Firm-Level Evidence,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4612, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Basu, Susanto & Pascali, Luigi & Schiantarelli, Fabio & Serven, Luis, 2010. "Productivity, welfare and reallocation : theory and firm-level evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5226, The World Bank.
- Susanto Basu & Luigi Pascali & Fabio Schiantarelli & Luis Serven, 2009. "Productivity, Welfare and Reallocation: Theory and Firm Level Evidence," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 728, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 12 Jul 2010.
- Susanto Basu & Luigi Pascali & Fabio Schiantarelli & Luis Serven, 2009. "Productivity, welfare, and reallocation: theory and firm-level evidence," Working Papers 09-19, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Susanto Basu & Luigi Pascali & Fabio Schiantarelli & Luis Serven, 2009. "Productivity, Welfare and Reallocation: Theory and Firm-Level Evidence," NBER Working Papers 15579, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed011:1328. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.