Productivity and Misallocation During a Crisis
Measured total factor productivity often declines sharply during financial crises. In 1982, the Chilean manufacturing sector suffered a severe contraction in output, most of which can be accounted for a falling Solow residual. Using establishment data from the Chilean manufacturing census, I assess the contribution of misallocation to the drop in output. Using several measures, I find that the cross-sectional allocation of resources deteriorated during the crisis. To quantify the impact of this misallocation on aggregate measured TFP I develop a decomposition along the lines of Hsieh and Klenow (2009). The analysis allows for specifications that span two extremes: (i) all plants have identical factor intensities (ii) plants differ in factor intensities within each sector. While this raises difficult aggregation issues, I show the connection between changes in the extent of misallocation and changes in an aggregate Solow residual. Although the preliminary results are sensitive to the exact empirical specification, I find that increased misallocation had a substantial impact on aggregate total factor productivity during the crisis.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susanto Basu & Luigi Pascali & Fabio Schiantarelli & Luis Serven, 2009.
"Productivity, welfare, and reallocation: theory and firm-level evidence,"
09-19, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Basu, Susanto & Pascali, Luigi & Schiantarelli, Fabio & Serven, Luis, 2009. "Productivity, Welfare and Reallocation: Theory and Firm-Level Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 4612, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Basu, Susanto & Pascali, Luigi & Schiantarelli, Fabio & Serven, Luis, 2010. "Productivity, welfare and reallocation : theory and firm-level evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5226, The World Bank.
- Susanto Basu & Luigi Pascali & Fabio Schiantarelli & Luis Serven, 2009. "Productivity, Welfare and Reallocation: Theory and Firm-Level Evidence," NBER Working Papers 15579, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susanto Basu & Luigi Pascali & Fabio Schiantarelli & Luis Serven, 2009. "Productivity, Welfare and Reallocation: Theory and Firm Level Evidence," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 728, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 12 Jul 2010.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed011:1328. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.