Fragility: A Quantitative Analysis of the US Health Insurance System
We develop a quantitative equilibrium model that features tax deductibility of employer-provided coverage, non-discrimination restrictions, fixed costs of coverage and employers that hire discrete numbers of workers in frictional labor markets. We use the calibrated model to understand what drives the patterns of insurance provision with employer size and to evaluate the effects of this system on the flows of workers across health insurance coverage status, labor market flows, as well as on the size distribution of establishments, and aggregate productivity. We also evaluate the effects of various proposed reforms of the system.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Albrecht, James W & Axell, Bo, 1984.
"An Equilibrium Model of Search Unemployment,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(5), pages 824-40, October.
- Albrecht, James W & Axell, Bo, 1983. "An Equilibrium Model of Search Unemployment," Working Paper Series 99, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Albrecht, James & Axell, Bo, 1983. "An Equilibrium Model of Search Unemployment," Working Papers 83-10, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Thomasson, Melissa A., 2002. "From Sickness to Health: The Twentieth-Century Development of U.S. Health Insurance," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 233-253, July.
- Matthew S. Dey & Christopher J. Flinn, 2005.
"An Equilibrium Model of Health Insurance Provision and Wage Determination,"
Econometric Society, vol. 73(2), pages 571-627, 03.
- Dey, M. S. & Flinn, C. J., 2000. "An Equilibrium Model of Health Insurance Provision and Wage Determination," Working Papers 00-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed010:787. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.