Entry, Exit, Firm Dynamics, and Aggregate Fluctuations
We amend Hopenhayn's model of equilibrium industry dynamics by explicitly modeling the firm's investment choice and by introducing aggregate fluctuations. Our main goal is to study the model's implications for the cyclical behavior of entry, exit, and the cross--section of operating firms. We show that the vector of state variables include the size distribution of firms, an infinite--dimensional object. We overcome this obstacle by showing that firms incur in small errors when predicting the evolution of the relevant price by means of a simple forecasting rule. Preliminary results show that the model is able to replicate key features of the cross--section of US manufacturing plants, such as the mean and standard deviation of the investment rate, as well as the average entry rate and the average ratio of entrants' size to incumbents' size. Entry rates are higher in expansion than in recession, while the opposite holds true for exit rates. Entering plants tend to be more productive during recessions than during expansions.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Florin Bilbiie & Fabio Ghironi & Marc J. Melitz, 2007.
"Endogenous Entry, Product Variety, and Business Cycles,"
NBER Working Papers
13646, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Florin O. Bilbiie & Fabio Ghironi & Marc J. Melitz, 2012. "Endogenous Entry, Product Variety, and Business Cycles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 120(2), pages 304-345.
- Florin Bilbiie & Fabio Ghironi & Marc Melitz, 2012. "Endogenous Entry, Product Variety and Business Cycles," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00680634, HAL.
- Bilbiie, Florin Ovidiu & Ghironi, Fabio & Melitz, Marc J, 2011. "Endogenous Entry, Product Variety, and Business Cycles," CEPR Discussion Papers 8564, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bilbiie, Florin O. & Ghironi, Fabio & Melitz, Marc J., 2012. "Endogenous Entry, Product Variety, and Business Cycles," Scholarly Articles 10914281, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Florin Bilbiie & F. Ghironi & M. Melitz, 2007. "Endogenous Entry, Product Variety and Business Cycles," Working Papers hal-00515667, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed010:1188. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.