Going with your gut: the (in)accuracy of forecast revisions in a football score prediction game
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Carl Singleton & J. James Reade & Alsdair Brown, 2018. "Going with your Gut: The (In)accuracy of Forecast Revisions in a Football Score Prediction Game," Working Papers 2018-006, The George Washington University, Department of Economics, Research Program on Forecasting.
References listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:ejores:v:272:y:2019:i:3:p:1073-1081 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lawrence, Michael & Goodwin, Paul & O'Connor, Marcus & Onkal, Dilek, 2006. "Judgmental forecasting: A review of progress over the last 25 years," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 493-518.
- repec:bla:ecinqu:v:56:y:2018:i:3:p:1748-1763 is not listed on IDEAS
- Boshnakov, Georgi & Kharrat, Tarak & McHale, Ian G., 2017. "A bivariate Weibull count model for forecasting association football scores," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 458-466.
- Cain, Michael & Law, David & Peel, David, 2000. "The Favourite-Longshot Bias and Market Efficiency in UK Football Betting," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 47(1), pages 25-36, February.
- repec:eee:intfor:v:34:y:2018:i:1:p:17-29 is not listed on IDEAS
- Forrest, David & Simmons, Robert, 2000. "Forecasting sport: the behaviour and performance of football tipsters," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 317-331.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Rutger Lit, 2015.
"A dynamic bivariate Poisson model for analysing and forecasting match results in the English Premier League,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 178(1), pages 167-186, January.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Rutger Lit, 2012. "A Dynamic Bivariate Poisson Model for Analysing and Forecasting Match Results in the English Premier League," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-099/III, Tinbergen Institute.
- Forrest, David & Goddard, John & Simmons, Robert, 2005. "Odds-setters as forecasters: The case of English football," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 551-564.
- O'Connor, Marcus & Remus, William & Griggs, Ken, 1993. "Judgemental forecasting in times of change," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 163-172, August.
- Stekler, H.O. & Sendor, David & Verlander, Richard, 2010. "Issues in sports forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 606-621, July.
- Lawrence, Michael & O'Connor, Marcus, 2000. "Sales forecasting updates: how good are they in practice?," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 369-382.
- Martin Spann & Bernd Skiera, 2009. "Sports forecasting: a comparison of the forecast accuracy of prediction markets, betting odds and tipsters," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(1), pages 55-72.
- Bruno Deschamps & Olivier Gergaud, 2007. "Efficiency in Betting Markets: Evidence from English Football," Journal of Prediction Markets, University of Buckingham Press, vol. 1(1), pages 61-73, February.
- Gary Chamberlain, 1980. "Analysis of Covariance with Qualitative Data," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 225-238.
- Goddard, John, 2005. "Regression models for forecasting goals and match results in association football," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 331-340.
- O'Connor, Marcus & Remus, William & Griggs, Kenneth, 2000. "Does updating judgmental forecasts improve forecast accuracy?," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 101-109.
More about this item
KeywordsJudgement revision; Prediction making; Forecasting behaviour; Expectations;
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D84 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Expectations; Speculations
- Z2 - Other Special Topics - - Sports Economics
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-EXP-2019-04-29 (Experimental Economics)
- NEP-FOR-2019-04-29 (Forecasting)
- NEP-SPO-2019-04-29 (Sports & Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rdg:emxxdp:em-dp2019-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Pearson). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/bsrdguk.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.