Intergenerational Transmission of Inflation Aversion: Theory and Evidence
We study the evolution of inflation aversion preferences across generations. In the theoretical part of the paper, we analyze the dynamics of such preferences in an overlapping-generations model with heterogenous mature agents characterized by different degrees of inflation aversion. We show how the stability of a society’s degree of inflation aversion depends on the strength and speed of changes in the structure of the population. The empirical part then proposes two applications in support of the theoretical results. We first link demographic structures to inflation aversion, and then proceed by looking at the relations between income (in)equality and measures of inflation aversion.
|Date of creation:||23 Nov 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 218, Whiteknights, Reading, Berks, RG6 6AA|
Phone: +44 (0) 118 378 8226
Fax: +44 (0) 118 975 0236
Web page: http://www.henley.reading.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sáez-Martí, María & Sjögren, Anna, 2005.
"Peers and Culture,"
Working Paper Series
642, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Stefan Krause & Fabio Méndez, 2005.
"Policy Makers' Preferences, Party Ideology, and the Political Business Cycle,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 752-767, April.
- Stefan Krause & Fabio Mendez, 2003. "Policy Makers' Preferences, Party Ideology, and the Political Business Cycle," Emory Economics 0319, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- James B. Bullard & Christopher J. Waller, 2002.
"Central bank design in general equilibrium,"
1998-002, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Brumm, Harold J., 2002. "Inflation and Central Bank independence revisited," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 205-209, October.
- Daniels, Joseph P. & VanHoose, David D., 2006. "Openness, the sacrifice ratio, and inflation: Is there a puzzle?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 1336-1347, December.
- Christopher Crowe & Ellen E. Meade, 2007. "The Evolution of Central Bank Governance around the World," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(4), pages 69-90, Fall.
- Stefan Krause & Fabio Mendez, 2005.
"Institutions, Arrangements, and Preferences for Inflation Stability: Evidence and Lessons from a Panel Data Analysis,"
0501, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Krause, Stefan & Méndez, Fabio, 2008. "Institutions, arrangements and preferences for inflation stability: Evidence and lessons from a panel data analysis," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 282-307, March.
- Okina, Kunio & Shirakawa, Masaaki & Shiratsuka, Shigenori, 2001. "The Asset Price Bubble and Monetary Policy: Japan's Experience in the Late 1980s and the Lessons: Background Paper," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 19(S1), pages 395-450, February.
- Jon Faust, 1992. "Whom can we trust to run the Fed? Theoretical support for the founders' views," International Finance Discussion Papers 429, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Pierpaolo Benigno & Luca Antonio Ricci, 2008.
"The Inflation-Unemployment Trade-Off at Low Inflation,"
NBER Working Papers
13986, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luca A Ricci & Pierpaolo Benigno, 2009. "The Inflation-Unemployment Trade-off at Low Inflation," IMF Working Papers 09/34, International Monetary Fund.
- Bisin, Alberto & Verdier, Thierry, 2001.
"The Economics of Cultural Transmission and the Dynamics of Preferences,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 298-319, April.
- Bisin, A. & Verdier, T., 1997. "The Economics of Cultural Transmission and the Dynamics of Preferences," DELTA Working Papers 97-03, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Jayadev, Arjun, 2006. "Differing preferences between anti-inflation and anti-unemployment policy among the rich and the poor," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 67-71, April.
- Bisin, A. & Verdier, T., 1999.
"A model of cultural transmission, voting and political ideology,"
DELTA Working Papers
1999-13, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Bisin, Alberto & Verdier, Thierry, 2000. "A model of cultural transmission, voting and political ideology," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 5-29, March.
- Bisin, A. & Verdier, T., 1999. "A Model of Cultural Transmission, Voting and Political Ideology," Papers 1999-13, Laval - Laboratoire Econometrie.
- Edward Nelson, 2006.
"Ireland and Switzerland: the jagged edges of the Great Inflation,"
2006-016, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Nelson, Edward, 2008. "Ireland and Switzerland: The jagged edges of the Great Inflation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 700-732, May.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Carlo Strub, 2008.
"Central Bank Design with Heterogeneous Agents,"
IEW - Working Papers
365, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Scheve, Kenneth, 2004. "Public Inflation Aversion and the Political Economy of Macroeconomic Policymaking," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 58(01), pages 1-34, February.
- Hayo, Bernd, 1998. "Inflation culture, central bank independence and price stability," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 241-263, May.
- George A. Akerlof & William R. Dickens & George L. Perry, 1996. "The Macroeconomics of Low Inflation," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 27(1), pages 1-76.
- de Jong, Eelke, 2002. "Why are price stability and statutory independence of central banks negatively correlated? The role of culture," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 675-694, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rdg:emxxdp:em-dp2008-71. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Pearson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.