La gestion du sanglier : modèle bioéconomique, dégâts agricoles et prix des chasses en forêt domaniale
[paper in French] Wild-boar can be considered both as a resource and as a pest. It causes collective damages and is also valued resource for recreative activity as hunting. The paper treats the economy of controlling a hunting game. A bio-economic model is presented and used for the analysis. The optimal population of big game is the one minimizing the present value of the hunter willingness to pay less agricultural damages with an infinite time horizon. We take into consideration the loss of the hunter welfare from a decrease in game population. For the empirical analysis, we used data on agricultural damages caused by wild-boar in order to reconstruct their population dynamics. Hunter marginal implicit prices for game hunting were estimated using the hedonic price method on a sample of hunting lease prices in eastern French forests. The long term equilibrium solutions can provide elements for optimal control strategies of wild-boar
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Horan & Erwin Bulte, 2004. "Optimal and Open Access Harvesting of Multi-Use Species in a Second-Best World," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 28(3), pages 251-272, July.
- Knoche, Scott & Lupi, Frank, 2007. "Valuing deer hunting ecosystem services from farm landscapes," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 313-320, December.
- Donald J. Cocheba & William A. Langford, 1978. "Wildlife Valuation: The Collective Good Aspect of Hunting," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 54(4), pages 490-504.
- Rondeau, Daniel, 2001. "Along the Way Back from the Brink," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 156-182, September.
- Pope, C. Arden, III & Stoll, John R., 1985. "The Market Value Of Ingress Rights For White-Tailed Deer Hunting In Texas," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(01), July.