Market and Economic Modelling of the Intelligent Grid: End of Year Report 2009
The overall goal of Project 2 has been to provide a comprehensive understanding of the impacts of distributed energy (DG) on the Australian Electricity System. The research team at the UQ Energy Economics and Management Group (EEMG) has constructed a variety of sophisticated models to analyse the various impacts of significant increases in DG. These models stress that the spatial configuration of the grid really matters - this has tended to be neglected in economic discussions of the costs of DG relative to conventional, centralized power generation. The modelling also makes it clear that efficient storage systems will often be critical in solving transient stability problems on the grid as we move to the greater provision of renewable DG. We show that DG can help to defer of transmission investments in certain conditions. The existing grid structure was constructed with different priorities in mind and we show that its replacement can come at a prohibitive cost unless the capability of the local grid to accommodate DG is assessed very carefully.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: +61 7 3365 6570|
Phone: +61 7 3365 6570
Fax: +61 7 3365 7299
Web page: http://www.uq.edu.au/eemg
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benz, Eva & Trück, Stefan, 2009. "Modeling the price dynamics of CO2 emission allowances," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 4-15, January.
- van den Heuvel, Stijn T.A. & van den Bergh, Jeroen C.J.M., 2009. "Multilevel assessment of diversity, innovation and selection in the solar photovoltaic industry," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 50-60, March.
- Gernot Klepper & Sonja Peterson, 2004.
"Marginal Abatement Cost Curves in General Equilibrium: The Influence of World Energy Prices,"
2004.136, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Klepper, Gernot & Peterson, Sonja, 2006. "Marginal abatement cost curves in general equilibrium: The influence of world energy prices," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Klepper, Gernot & Peterson, Sonja, 2006. "Marginal abatement cost curves in general equilibrium: The influence of world energy prices," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 3775, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Atsushi Kurosawa & Hiroshi Yagita & Weisheng Zhou & Koji Tokimatsu & Yukio Yanagisawa, 1999. "Analysis of Carbon Emission Stabilization Targets and Adaptation by Integrated Assessment Model," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 157-175.
- Arthur van Benthem & Kenneth Gillingham & James Sweeney, 2008. "Learning-by-Doing and the Optimal Solar Policy in California," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 131-152.
- Siddiqui, Afzal S. & Marnay, Chris, 2008. "Distributed generation investment by a microgrid under uncertainty," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 1729-1737.
- Daskalakis, George & Psychoyios, Dimitris & Markellos, Raphael N., 2009. "Modeling CO2 emission allowance prices and derivatives: Evidence from the European trading scheme," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1230-1241, July.
- Roques, F.A. & Nuttall, W.J. & Newbery, D.M. & de Neufville, R., 2005.
"Nuclear Power: a Hedge against Uncertain Gas and Carbon Prices?,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0555, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Fabien A. Roques & William J. Nuttall & David M. Newbery & Richard de Neufville & Stephen Connors, 2006. "Nuclear Power: A Hedge against Uncertain Gas and Carbon Prices?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 1-24.
- Geoffrey Rothwell, 2006. "A Real Options Approach to Evaluating New Nuclear Power Plants," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 87-54.
- Gürkan Kumbaroglu & Reinhard Madlener & Mustafa Demirel, 2004.
"A Real Options Evaluation Model for the Diffusion Prospects of New Renewable Power Generation Technologies,"
CEPE Working paper series
04-35, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Kumbaroglu, Gürkan & Madlener, Reinhard & Demirel, Mustafa, 2008. "A real options evaluation model for the diffusion prospects of new renewable power generation technologies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1882-1908, July.
- A. Denny Ellerman & Ian Sue Wing, 2000. "Supplementarity: An Invitation to Monopsony?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 29-59.
- Anderson, Kevin & Bows, Alice & Mander, Sarah, 2008. "From long-term targets to cumulative emission pathways: Reframing UK climate policy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 3714-3722, October.
- Eyckmans Johan & van Steenberghe Vincent & Van Regemorter Denise, .
"Is Kyoto Fatally Flawed? An Analysis with MacGEM,"
- Johan Eyckmans & Denise Van Regemorter & Vincent van Steenberghe, 2001. "Is Kyoto fatally flawed? An analysis with MacGEM," Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series ete0118, KU Leuven, Department of Economics - Research Group Energy, Transport and Environment.
- Holtsmark, Bjart & Maestad, Ottar, 2002. "Emission trading under the Kyoto Protocol--effects on fossil fuel markets under alternative regimes," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 207-218, February.
- Mujeebu, M.A. & Jayaraj, S. & Ashok, S. & Abdullah, M.Z. & Khalil, M., 2009. "Feasibility study of cogeneration in a plywood industry with power export to grid," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(5), pages 657-662, May.
- Dotsis, George & Psychoyios, Dimitris & Skiadopoulos, George, 2007. "An empirical comparison of continuous-time models of implied volatility indices," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3584-3603, December.
- Roques, Fabien A. & Newbery, David M. & Nuttall, William J., 2008. "Fuel mix diversification incentives in liberalized electricity markets: A Mean-Variance Portfolio theory approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1831-1849, July.
- Gitelman, Gary, 2002. "Use of Real Options in Asset Valuation," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(9), pages 58-71, November.
- Jean-Marc Burniaux, 2000. "A Multi-Gas Assessment of the Kyoto Protocol," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 270, OECD Publishing.
- Jensen, S. G. & Skytte, K., 2002. "Interactions between the power and green certificate markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 425-435, April.
- Chen, Wenying, 2005. "The costs of mitigating carbon emissions in China: findings from China MARKAL-MACRO modeling," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 885-896, May.
- GERALD R. BEMIS & MICHAEL DoANGELIS, 1990. "Levelized Cost Of Electricity Generation Technologies," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 8(3), pages 200-214, 07.
- Baker, Erin & Chon, Haewon & Keisler, Jeffrey, 2009. "Advanced solar R&D: Combining economic analysis with expert elicitations to inform climate policy," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(Supplemen), pages S37-S49.
- Patrick Criqui & Laurent Viguier, 2000. "Kyoto and technology at world level: costs of CO 2 reduction under flexibility mechanisms and technical progress," International Journal of Global Energy Issues, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 14(1/2/3/4), pages 155-168.
- Paolella, Marc S. & Taschini, Luca, 2008. "An econometric analysis of emission allowance prices," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2022-2032, October.
- Yang, Ming & Blyth, William & Bradley, Richard & Bunn, Derek & Clarke, Charlie & Wilson, Tom, 2008. "Evaluating the power investment options with uncertainty in climate policy," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1933-1950, July.
- Laurikka, Harri, 2006. "Option value of gasification technology within an emissions trading scheme," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3916-3928, December.
- Gulli, Francesco, 2006. "Small distributed generation versus centralised supply: a social cost-benefit analysis in the residential and service sectors," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 804-832, May.
- Greaker, Mads & Lund Sagen, Eirik, 2008. "Explaining experience curves for new energy technologies: A case study of liquefied natural gas," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 2899-2911, November.
- Bouffard, François & Kirschen, Daniel S., 2008. "Centralised and distributed electricity systems," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 4504-4508, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qld:uqeemg:09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SOE IT)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.