Competition in the Portuguese Economy:An overview of classical indicators
This article offers an extensive overview of competition indicators in the Portuguese economy in the period 2000-2009. The article covers qualitative competition indicators as well as classical profitability and concentration measures, focusing on the differences between tradable and non-tradable sectors. The analysis carried out is distinct from that of competition authorities, aiming to set an overall scenario for competition developments. The article concludes that, although there are apparently no widespread problems, there is substantial room for improvements in business competition environment in several markets, notably in the non-tradable area.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 21 321 32 00
Fax: 21 346 48 43
Web page: http://www.bportugal.ptEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rebekka Christopoulou & Philip Vermeulen, 2012.
"Markups in the Euro area and the US over the period 1981–2004: a comparison of 50 sectors,"
Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 53-77, February.
- Christopoulou, Rebekka & Vermeulen, Philip, 2008. "Markups in the euro area and the US over the period 1981-2004: a comparison of 50 sectors," Working Paper Series 0856, European Central Bank.
- Carlo Altomonte & Marcella Nicolini & Armando Rungi & Laura Ogliari, 2010. "Assessing the Competitive Behaviour of Firms in the Single Market: A Micro-based Approach," European Economy - Economic Papers 409, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Polder, Michael & Veldhuizen, Erik & Bergen, Dirk van den & Pijll, Eugène van der, 2009. "Micro and macro indicators of competition: comparison and relation with productivity change," MPRA Paper 18898, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Novella Bottini & Margit Molnár, 2010. "How large are competitive pressures in services markets?: Estimation of mark-ups for selected OECD countries," OECD Journal: Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2010(1), pages 1-51.
- Paul Conway & Véronique Janod & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2005. "Product Market Regulation in OECD Countries: 1998 to 2003," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 419, OECD Publishing.
- Kozo Kiyota & Takanobu Nakajima & Kiyohiko G. Nishimura, 2009. "Measurement of the market power of firms: the Japanese case in the 1990s," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(3), pages 381-414, June.
- João Amador & Luca David Opromolla, 2009. "Textiles and Clothing Exporting Sectors in Portugal - Recent Trends," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Harald Badinger, 2007. "Has the EU’s Single Market Programme Fostered Competition? Testing for a Decrese in Markup Rations in EU Industries," Working Papers 135, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Anita Wölfl & Isabelle Wanner & Tomasz Koźluk & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2009. "Ten Years of Product Market Reform in OECD Countries: Insights from a Revised PMR Indicator," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 695, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ptu:wpaper:w201208. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEE-NTDD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.