L’effet pro-concurrentiel de l’intégration européenne : une analyse de l’évolution des taux de marge dans les industries manufacturières françaises
We analyse the evolution of French mark-ups and their determinants in manufacturing industries from 1986 to 2004, using an extended version of Roeger?s specification. With a value of 13.8%, French mark-ups in manufacturing are found to be slightly above those found by Görg and Warzynski (2006) in UK manufacturing. Over the period, French mark-ups have gone down by 4 to 5%. We interpret this as being the pro-competitive consequences of European integration. We also find that the implementation of the Euro in 2002 has been associated with an increase of mark-up by 2%. French mark-ups are contra-cyclical and depend upon openness to international trade, industry concentration. These stylised facts must not conceal the fact that sectors are highly heterogeneous, where price determination by firms is highly sector specific. JEL Classification: D43 ; L1 ; L6 ; F14
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01 44 18 54 00
Fax: 01 45 56 06 15
Web page: http://www.ofce.sciences-po.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jozef Konings & Patrick Van Cayseele & Frederic Warzynski, 1999.
"The Dynamics of Industrial Markups in Two Small Open Economies: Does National Competition Policy Matter ?,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces9914, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Konings, Jozef & Van Cayseele, Patrick & Warzynski, Frederic, 2001. "The dynamics of industrial mark-ups in two small open economies: does national competition policy matter?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 841-859, April.
- Roeger, Werner, 1995. "Can Imperfect Competition Explain the Difference between Primal and Dual Productivity Measures? Estimates for U.S. Manufacturing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(2), pages 316-30, April.
- Dobbelaere, Sabien & Mairesse, Jacques, 2010.
"Panel Data Estimates of the Production Function and Product and Labor Market Imperfections,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5176, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sabien Dobbelaere & Jacques Mairesse, 2013. "Panel data estimates of the production function and product and labor market imperfections," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(1), pages 1-46, 01.
- Dobbelaere, Sabien & Mairesse, Jacques, 2007. "Panel data estimates of the production function and product and labor market imperfections," Working Paper Series 0782, European Central Bank.
- Sabien Dobbelaere & Jacques Mairesse, 2008. "Panel Data Estimates Of The Production Function And Product And Labor Market Imperfections," NBER Working Papers 13975, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S. Dobbelaere & J. Mairesse, 2009. "Panel data estimates of the production function and product and labor market imperfections," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/586, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- John Haltiwanger & C J Krizan & Lucia Foster, 1998.
"Aggregate Productivity Growth: Lessons From Microeconomic Evidence,"
98-12, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Lucia Foster & John C. Haltiwanger & C. J. Krizan, 2001. "Aggregate Productivity Growth. Lessons from Microeconomic Evidence," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Analysis, pages 303-372 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucia Foster & John Haltiwanger & C.J. Krizan, 1998. "Aggregate Productivity Growth: Lessons from Microeconomic Evidence," NBER Working Papers 6803, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Michel Qu�r�, 2008.
"Market selection along the firm life cycle,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 17(4), pages 753-777, August.
- Joaquim Oliveira Martins & Stefano Scarpetta, 1999. "The Levels and Cyclical Behaviour of Mark-ups Across Countries and Market Structures," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 213, OECD Publishing.
- Hervé Boulhol, 2005.
"The upward bias of markups estimated from the price-based methodology,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
bla05055, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Hervé BOULHOL, 2008. "The Upward Bias of Markups Estimated from the Price-Based Methodology," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 89, pages 131-156.
- Jan Boone, 2008.
"A New Way to Measure Competition,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(531), pages 1245-1261, 08.
- Boone, J., 2004. "A New Way to Measure Competition," Discussion Paper 2004-31, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Boone, Jan, 2004. "A New Way to Measure Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 4330, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Boone, J., 2004. "A New Way to Measure Competition," Discussion Paper 2004-004, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Bellone, Flora & Musso, Patrick & Nesta, Lionel & Warzynski, Frederic, 2008. "Endogenous Markups, Firm Productivity and International Trade: : Testing SomeMicro-Level Implications of theMelitz-Ottaviano Model," Working Papers 08-20, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Bruno Crépon & Rozen Desplatz & Jacques Mairesse, 2010.
"Price-Cost Margins and Rent Sharing: Evidence from a Panel of French Manufacturing Firms,"
in: Contributions in Memory of Zvi Griliches, pages 583-610
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruno CRÉPON & Rozen DESPLATZ & Jacques MAIRESSE, 2005. "Price-Cost Margins and Rent Sharing: Evidence from a Panel of French Manufacturing Firms," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 79-80, pages 583-610.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1991. "NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1991, Volume 6," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number blan91-1.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & Michael Woodford, 1991. "Markups and the Business Cycle," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1991, Volume 6, pages 63-140 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henry Nieuwenhuijsen & Gerrit de Wit & Frank Hindriks, 2000.
"Comparative advantages in estimating markups,"
Scales Research Reports
H200003, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Domowitz, Ian & Hubbard, R Glenn & Petersen, Bruce C, 1988.
"Market Structure and Cyclical Fluctuations in U.S. Manufacturing,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 55-66, February.
- Ian Domowitz & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1986. "Market Structure and Cyclical Fluctuations in U.S. Manufacturing," NBER Working Papers 2115, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Doms & Eric J. Bartelsman, 2000.
"Understanding Productivity: Lessons from Longitudinal Microdata,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 569-594, September.
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Mark Doms, 2000. "Understanding productivity: lessons from longitudinal microdata," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-19, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Bottasso, Anna & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2001. "Market power, productivity and the EU Single Market Program: Evidence from a panel of Italian firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 167-186, January.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Michel Quéré, 2006.
"Caractéristiques et performances des firmes exportatrices françaises,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 98(3), pages 183-212.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Michel Quéré, 2006. "Caractéristiques et performances des firmes exportatrices françaises," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/7184, Sciences Po.
- Holger Görg & Frédéric Warzynski, 2006. "The Dynamics of Price Cost Margins: Evidence from UK Manufacturing," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 97(5), pages 303-318.
- Jacques-Bernard Sauner-Leroy, 2003. "The impact of the implementation of the Single Market Programme on productive efficiency and on mark-ups in the European Union manufacturing industry," European Economy - Economic Papers 192, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"The Relation between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 921-47, October.
- Robert E. Hall, 1986. "The Relation Between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," NBER Working Papers 1785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Hall, 1986. "Market Structure and Macroeconomic Fluctuations," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 17(2), pages 285-338.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/7184 is not listed on IDEAS
- Harald Badinger, 2007. "Has the EU's Single Market Programme Fostered Competition? Testing for a Decrease in Mark-up Ratios in EU Industries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 69(4), pages 497-519, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fce:doctra:0809. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Saraceno)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.